Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

That’s a huge fee if true/accurate & our transfer record. The lad is under huge pressure to deliver and so is Dean to bring the best out of him. If we don’t do well this season, I don’t think the owners will remain patient but it’s good to see them backing him too.

Don't want to be negative and hopefully those at the club know exactly what they are doing and have confidence & faith in the signing, hopefully it turns out to be good value in the long term. I honestly don’t know how good Watkins is but I would like us to have a more “cultured” finisher (expect us to bring in more attackers) in the squad.

Maybe this is a statement of our intent and we will continue to spend big on (attacking) players. We need wingers and/or creative forwards asap.

🤞

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Exeter Fan said:

We upgraded our away end last year :) 

We bought Barnets old one!

Good luck with the coming season, will be keeping a closer eye on you guys now we have more players linked between the club's. 

Thought McArdle was a good signing at the back for you guys but looks like you've only strengthened defensively. Do you think you'll be pushing for promotion this year? Do you think the money will be reinvested in the squad this window?

I've been fairly sympathetic to selling clubs on transfer fees previously but that is a huge amount of money to be asked for by Brentford, and the pressure on Watkins to perform will be huge.

We've seen this before with 'big-money' signings, so hopefully if the deal gets rubber-stamped, he'll get the right service also. Watch us now get quoted £40m for Benrahma (or any other winger of similar quality).

Glad to see a fee finally agreed, all the same, however steep. Get this done now Villa.

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

I've been fairly sympathetic to selling clubs on transfer fees previously but that is a huge amount of money to be asked for by Brentford, and the pressure on Watkins to perform will be huge.

Conversely, it will take some of the pressure off Wes as well as introducing good competition. Hopefully we’ll see better from the big man now in the second half of the season. 

• Like 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Mock me all you want, accuse me of an agenda, tell me I don't know what actually goes on in negotiations.....but for £28m (I'm fine with that) this could have and should have been wrapped up a month ago

I do kind of agree with this. 
I was guessing that the reason it wasn't done earlier was because we were haggling down the 28m fee as it was too much...

But now we've gone and signed him for 28m. So.....

Either way, he's ours and he's a good player. He'll be our starting no.9 hopefully for the next 4/5 years. Now let's go and get Benrahma, King, Henry and Buendia. 

• Like 1

By my reckoning if it is 28m plus add ons then it's excellent news! Grealish has all of a sudden become a 150m player, Mings and McGinn easy 50m plus sell on profit. Luiz....80?? F*** me, Davis with no goals must be worth 20 plus. 

The world has gone crazy!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We're signing a striker that scored the same number of goals in the Championship last season as Tammy Abraham did the season before.

Yes, Tammy had a much bigger reputation, but he's now going to be worth close to, if not more than, £50m. We aren't going to be spending that on a striker, and even if we tried to I would imagine a £50m is going to want a wage that is way out of our budget at the moment.

We are signing a striker that not only could score a decent number of goals for us next season but also one that puts opposition defenders under pressure. We desperately need that in the team.

What a great post.

If we'd signed Tammy when we got promoted for £28m I think we'd have all been delighted. Just because Watkins hasn't been snapped up by Chelsea in his early years doesn't mean that this is any less of a great signing based on his record last year. I really really hope we give him a chance because there's an awful lot of pressure on this lad's shoulders.

Edited by JPAngel
Fat fingers.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Mock me all you want, accuse me of an agenda, tell me I don't know what actually goes on in negotiations.....but for £28m (I'm fine with that) this could have and should have been wrapped up a month ago

Makes you wonder what all the waiting round was for if we just end up paying it. We look a bit silly now.

It's an awful lot of money for a player that has had one good season in the Champ, but of course I hope he does well for his sake and ours.

• Like 1

Have we been massively mugged off by Brentford for an extra £10mill, yes. Do I care at this point? Not really. No wonder this took so long. Whoever Brentford's chairman is is the Daniel Levy of the championship. He needs a pay rise. One thing we can't do is pretend we're now being sensible on transfers, we are literally the opposite. 

But we needed a striker and hopefully Watkins is worth the gamble!

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The problem there being that it suggests that the only stumbling block on the whole thing was our willingness to put up the cash

That might not be the case 

• Like 2

Brentford have squeezed the life out of us with the fee but fair play to them, I'd like to think we would do the same. Very honest work rate and a good finisher. Also, let's give him a chance too. A player shouldn't be saddled with the fee on his back from the beginning. Collectively last season, we weren't good enough. If we play good enough as a team and supply this lad with good ball, he'll bury em.

• Like 1

Â