Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Brentford have squeezed the life out of us with the fee but fair play to them, I'd like to think we would do the same. Very honest work rate and a good finisher. Also, let's give him a chance too. A player shouldn't be saddled with the fee on his back from the beginning. Collectively last season, we weren't good enough. If we play good enough as a team and supply this lad with good ball, he'll bury em.

From what I heard we were fairly confident of doing this deal for around £22m about 3 weeks ago. We waited whilst Toney was signed and then other clubs came in for Watkins. I am guessing now but I think Spurs interest may have pushed the price up beyond £25m. 

37 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

£28m + add ons is an outrageous price at this current moment. 

He may double his value in 2 years, he may prove to be worth just what we paid for him, or we may never see that money again.

As with any transfer it is a gamble but the fee makes this a huge gamble. I've no doubt Watkins is good enough for this level from what I've seen, but will we get any kind of value for money from this deal?

I think it is a good show of intent that the money is there to spend to strengthen the squad, and I think with a new GK and probably a winger as well we are in a stronger position than last season. Very pleased to get this deal into the final stages and I'm just glad it's not my money they're spending.

I'm glad we're finally getting on with this but I've seen this banded about quite a lot and I don't agree with it. If you think there's even a possibility Watkins in 2 years at age 26/27 could be worth £60mill or more, you're living in la la land. 

Edit: I've noticed you're not explicitly saying that, but I have seen it thrown about quite a lot. 

Edited by SeanVilla

If he comes good then I don't think anyone will care about the price tag but that's a lot of pressure on some inexperienced shoulders and it feels an insane amount to me.

How do we as fans measure the success of this, if we'd paid £30M+ for a striker 4 or 5 years ago I'd be looking for 20 goals, I just don't know how to evaluate this........if he scores 10 goals is that a failure?

I understand the comparisons with Tammy, but IIRC last season there were doubts about signing him (if Chelsea were prepared to let him go) because he'd never proved it in the Prem. But Tammy is younger and had already scored 20+ twice in the Champ by the age of 21. Watkins has done it once and he's 25 in December. 

Brentford really do know how to pull our pants down over deals. Let's hope Watkins turns out to be a good signing from them for a change and his value actually goes up in 12 months rather than down. Otherwise I suggest we never buy from them ever again.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If he comes good then I don't think anyone will care about the price tag but that's a lot of pressure on some inexperienced shoulders and it feels an insane amount to me.

How do we as fans measure the success of this, if we'd paid £30M+ for a striker 4 or 5 years ago I'd be looking for 20 goals, I just don't know how to evaluate this........if he scores 10 goals is that a failure?

I think we'd certainly be expecting 12-15 PL goals from him at that price. At the very minimum 10+.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How do we as fans measure the success of this, if we'd paid £30M+ for astriker 4 or 5 years ago I'd be looking for 20 goals, I just don't know how to evaluate this........if he scores 10 goals is that a failure?

Don't use stats! 

That's for naysayers who don't actually watch us, I'll watch him every week and see what his overall performances are like, see where Smith plays him and what he wants him to do

And then decide if he's world class or utter dogshit with absolutely nothing in between 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

If the £50m for him and Benrahma was true we should just go all in for that deal.

Given what the Watkins fee apparently is, you can bet your arse that it would be quite a lot more for the pair than 50m. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

understand the comparisons with Tammy, but IIRC last season there were doubts about signing him (if Chelsea were prepared to let him go) because he'd never proved it in the Prem

Yeah but the people who thought that Tammy wasn’t good enough were idiots ;) 

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Watkins scores fifteen or more goals next season and he'll be worth £50m plus straight away, I wouldn't put it past him to get an England call up, that would also add to his value.

Same can be said about any player in our starting XI to be fair 😂

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

As he’s a striker, inevitably his goal tally will be very important in assessing his success or failure, however his overall contribution to our team particularly up front will also be important. I don’t mean you can call him a success if he’s Davis Mark 2 and looks decent until the big mesh thing is right in front of him but I think, from the little I know, that he’s not a Darren Bent either, ie. goals and that’s it. 

I suppose if we stay clear of the relegation battle and our overall goal count is in the top 10 or so then he’ll probably have done ok. 

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Watkins scores fifteen or more goals next season and he'll be worth £50m plus straight away, I wouldn't put it past him to get an England call up, that would also add to his value.

Funny Abraham isn't worth £50mill and he scored 15 goals last season and is over 2 years younger 🧐

Â