Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

£20m I think would've been the right amount but certainly can't blame Brentford for getting what they can and what they think they feel he is worth. 

Will be great to get this one over the line, I just hope and pray we can get a couple more in.. or 4...

Edouard/Benrahma/King/Swift would give us loads of flexibility and improve our firepower immensely.

I don't ask for much... 

Objectively this is a mad amount of money to be paying for him, especially when compared to the pedigree of the only "Championship" players (Ake and Sissoko don't even really count given they were just relegated and hadn't even played in the league) more expensive than him. I'm sure Brentford are laughing their heads off at us...again.

That said if the ends justify the means then I really don't care how much any of our signings cost in all honesty and never have. He had a blinding season last year, can play across the front line if necessary and you'd think has the physical capabilities to fit into the league which is one less thing to worry about when it comes to him adapting to this level. If he can score enough to help us consolidate our position and the fee doesn't hinder other signings being made then **** it why not.

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Percy’s a hack. Look how he got the ‘release fee’ totally wrong and blamed the BBC reporting. He’s just copying their output again. 

His legs have gone, he’s definitely lost a yard. Not the man he was a few years back. He’ll be covering Kidderminster Harriers in a year or two. 

Just now, MrSmirch said:

I hope he’s excited to get 1 chance a game and get caned if he misses it

We created plenty of guilt-edged chances last season per game. 

Unfortunately our strike force had no eyes, arms or indeed legs. 

I know what the figures thrown around are but I still can't believe them.

Great for Exeter City if they are is my only conciliation.

I would be more inclined to think a double deal for benrahma and Watkins was being hammered out which would then put watkins fee at under half the total price to save Brentford from having to pay so much on the sell on.

Anyway its taken longer than I thought. Welcome ollie.

22 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Wolves paid £36m for a teenager with a lot of potential. Neither deal ‘breaks football’. Each fee is relative to the club buying and those selling. 

if Watkins goals keep us in the league for another year and allows us to attract bigger names he can compete with, it works in our favour. 

We are willing to spend big on the right kind of player. So fingers crossed it works out. 

I’m not saying it literally breaks football. I just think that the money in the game is ridiculous. 
It won’t be long until players are regularly going for £100m, with the top players going up to £500m. 
It’s like Monopoly money. 

• Like 1

Disappointed with that fee on a garden shed player, but at least we're finally adressing squad issues.

I like that he's English and not King or Wilson. 

Guess we just have to accept paying top dollar to stay in the division. Considering we spent £22 million on Wesley, Olli won't have to do a whole lots to win people over. 

Now a winger please. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Disappointed with that fee on a garden shed player, but at least we're finally adressing squad issues.

I like that he's English and not King or Wilson. 

Guess we just have to accept paying top dollar to stay in the division. Considering we spent £22 million on Wesley, Olli won't have to do a whole lots to win people over. 

Now a winger please. 

😃. You think?

Hopefully we get this over the line. He is that good that this fee will be a steal.

I dont understand why fans are complaining about their fee like it’s coming out their wallet..

This is the market for signing players, we will continue to break our transfer record if we want to progress..

Wonder if it was part of our get out of FFP trouble with the EFL that we are obliged to buy £100m worth of Championship players in the following years :D 

£45m-£50m for Cash and Watkins so far already this season to go with the £16m or so we spent last season on Konsa and Jota. 

They really should build a statue with our club crest outside every stadium in that league. We are all that stands between them and financial ruin.

• Haha 2

Great article here about his style of play, movement etc..Quotes from OW as well when he was moved to CF; the boy has confidence. 

It’s rare for a player to do what Ollie Watkins has done. In 2019/20, his first full campaign as a centre-forward for Brentford, he scored 25 goals in 46 games.

There’s usually a sort of transitional period but Watkins looked right at home leading the line. The 24-year-old may have called Griffin Park home for three seasons but the first two campaigns with the Bees showed no indication that he was capable of this sort of output. 

https://www.twenty3.sport/ollie-watkins-from-winger-to-centre-forward/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

its all well and good signing watkins but he scored goals in a brentford side that were creating alot of chances a game with benrahma and mbuemo each side of him..........if jack goes back in the centre next season at the moment hes going to have el gahzi and trezeguet each side of him 🙄

Â