Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Wasnt convinced until I saw the price.  Good value, but would rather we sign one proven striker and leave Wes and Samatta as backup for now. If we can get a proven option as well as Watkins at this price then i'm all for it.

• Like 4

Just now, thunderball said:

I would say we still need a senior, proven striker at the £40m level.

When you say proven striker do you mean strikers from Premier League?

If so the alternatives are the likes of Abraham and Ings. Neither which are very realistic targets

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

If so the alternatives are the likes of Abraham and Ings. Neither which are very realistic targets

I would qualify it as someone that has scored consistently in a top league in Europe. I dont qualify the Scottish PL or the Championship as top leagues. I'm talking the top leagues in Spain, Germany, Italy, France, or ideally England.

I confess, I have no idea who is in those leagues, that fits that criteria that we could tempt, but if we genuinely can't attract anyone in that vein then we have no choice but to take the bigger gamble on someone who is proven at a lower level and hope they can step up.  It hasn't worked well in the past but if we have no choice let's hope it does this time!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Would he be the only forward we pursue or an opportunistic poach as they wanted him s last season but can now force the deal through?

I would say we still need a senior, proven striker at the £40m level.

I hope it's only an opportunistic poach as otherwise I would be very disappointed, we just need a much superior number one striker than what we have.

Not convinced Watkins is anywhere near that person but would be a good number 2/3 or right forward potentially

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why isn't Tammy a realistic target? we all know the contractual situation and the new players incoming which has caused Tammy to question his place......so if he leaves why would we not be in that race to sign him?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I would qualify it as someone that has scored consistently in a top league in Europe. I dont qualify the Scottish PL or the Championship as top leagues. I'm talking the top leagues in Spain, Germany, Italy, France, or ideally England.

I confess, I have no idea who is in those leagues, that fits that criteria that we could tempt, but if we genuinely can't attract anyone in that vein then we have no choice but to take the bigger gamble on someone who is proven at a lower level and hope they can step up.  It hasn't worked well in the past but if we have no choice let's hope it does this time!

Proven like Sebastian Haller you mean? :P 

PL is very different to other leagues. I'd actually say it's safer to buy from the Champ, because they are used to the pace of the game.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Why isn't Tammy a realistic target? we all know the contractual situation and the new players incoming which has caused Tammy to question his place......so if he leaves why would we not be in that race to sign him?

It's his boyhood club.

As long as there is an possibility for him to fight for his place he wouldn't want to leave.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not necessarily Premier League, just at a decent level (not the championship).

I wouldn't mind Celtic's Edouard, he looks like he could get better at 22 y.o.  

• Confused 1

Â