Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, Reivax_Villa said:

Hopefully we get this over the line. He is that good that this fee will be a steal.

I dont understand why fans are complaining about their fee like it’s coming out their wallet..

This is the market for signing players, we will continue to break our transfer record if we want to progress..

Because there isn’t a bottomless pit. It’s a huge chunk of our budget on a striker that’s had one good season in the Championship.

The signing is really uninspiring in my opinion.

• Like 1

Very interesting point from the Mail this: (https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/watkins-aston-villa-transfer-brentford-18899154)

Villa have finally got their man, a player who scored exactly the same amount as on-loan ace Tammy Abraham did at Villa during the promotion year in 2019 and a question that must be posed is this: would Villa have paid £30 million for Abraham back then? You bet they would have.

How much would Tammy have been worth before a ball was kicked last season??

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

My point is the 3 players you mentioned are hardly going to think - wow, what an amazing signing. Exactly the top drawer player we needed.

Why not?  

Can it not be seen that we're now clearly investing in talent and building for the future no matter what cost?

3 minutes ago, Villa94 said:

its all well and good signing watkins but he scored goals in a brentford side that were creating alot of chances a game with benrahma and mbuemo each side of him..........if jack goes back in the centre next season at the moment hes going to have el gahzi and trezeguet each side of him 🙄

He's obviously not though - the world and his wife knows that we desperately need a premier league standard winger. I reckon will break our record again to get one but will have to wait.

38 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Watkins was a wide player until last season I believe. No real surprise he hasn't scored over 20 goals a season before. 

This is true but the point is still valid that he's only had one breakthrough season as a number 9. It is a lot of money spent and that seems to have been ignored by a lot on here despite many complaining about the Wilson fee. 

He certainly looks physical with good movement and versatility, technically I'm not sure and a lot of his goals seem to be in open spaces. He will have to work harder in the Prem to get that room in the box. 

Let's hope he does well.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

This is true but the point is still valid that he's only had one breakthrough season as a number 9. It is a lot of money spent and seems to have been waived by a lot on here despite many complaining about the Wilson fee. 

He certainly looks physical with good movement and versatility, technically I'm not sure and a lot of his goals seem to be in open spaces. He will have to work harder in the Prem to get that room in the box. 

Let's hope he does well.

Watkins' stats suggest he is good enough to make the step up. Also don't forget we paid over £25m for Mings, a player who had barely kicked a ball in the PL. That was still a value buy as he is worth over 40m now. 

• Like 1

Watkins' movement will help the likes of AEG and Trez produce more assists. How? Well when you lump in a poor cross or a hopeful ball a player like Watkins chases it and makes something of nothing. The same with Tammy. I haven't seen Édouard to know how he plays but I'd be inclined to think he can too.

10 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Very interesting point from the Mail this: (https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/watkins-aston-villa-transfer-brentford-18899154)

How much would Tammy have been worth before a ball was kicked last season??

Not an unreasonable perspective, I would say though that Tammy was 3 years younger, and a known quantity in our team, so I'd have been far more confident.

If the club think it's worth it, I'll cross my fingers, I'm just hoping it's not another big money flop like pretty much every striker we've signed in years.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Not an unreasonable perspective, I would say though that Tammy was 3 years younger, and a known quantity in our team, so I'd have been far more confident.

True but Tammy only plays as a striker, whereas Ollie can play across the front, which potentially makes him more valuable.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Mock me all you want, accuse me of an agenda, tell me I don't know what actually goes on in negotiations.....but for £28m (I'm fine with that) this could have and should have been wrapped up a month ago

Unless they were asking £38m a month ago 😬

• Like 1

£33m. One good season in the Championship. Hogan had one good season in the championship. As did Rudy Gestede.

That’s just insane money. They’d better really hope this one pays off. Brentford have properly pulled our pants down here. Can we really not scout for a better striker outside of Brentford?

• Like 3

Â