Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

I think it's very difficult to judge strikers in the modern game. There are very few "old school" strikers who are the absolute focal point of the team these days e.g. Kane, Vardy. I think a good example of a modern striker is someone like Firmino who brings an awful lot to the team despite any obvious stats to the table in terms of goals and assists.

I'd imagine that anyone playing fantasy fotball this year will feel the same based on the striking options in the Premier League! :lol:

Jesus, £33m. £33m!! Football really is broken isn’t it! 

I’ve not seen him much, but with this price tag he’s going to be under an immense amount of pressure from the get go. 

I wish him well, and hope he proves my skepticism wrong.

I’m really pleased that this is happening (though it hasn’t actually yet). The fee isn’t important, getting the right player is though. Watkins should do well for us, but there’s no guarantees he’ll score a load of goals. As long as he improves the team and contributes to our push up the league then it’s worth it. Hopefully those that are bemoaning the lack of investment will stfu now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Jesus, £33m. £33m!! Football really is broken isn’t it! 

I’ve not seen him much, but with this price tag he’s going to be under an immense amount of pressure from the get go. 

I wish him well, and hope he proves my skepticism wrong.

Wolves paid £36m for a teenager with a lot of potential. Neither deal ‘breaks football’. Each fee is relative to the club buying and those selling. 

if Watkins goals keep us in the league for another year and allows us to attract bigger names he can compete with, it works in our favour. 

We are willing to spend big on the right kind of player. So fingers crossed it works out. 

• Like 1

Well, we know this is Smith’s pick and other than the price i have no complaints about it.

however, if he bangs in the chances then the price will be a distant memory.

as for Watkins, he’s quick, physical and reads the game well - I have high hopes of him being a success!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Mock me all you want, accuse me of an agenda, tell me I don't know what actually goes on in negotiations.....but for £28m (I'm fine with that) this could have and should have been wrapped up a month ago

Thing is mate, that extra 6 - 8 mill might be taking away from the budget for another player we want on big money too?

Watkins isn't Tammy-esque, he's much more of an all round footballer, I think people are going to be surprised if they think he just scores tap ins and has a good workrate, there's much more to his game than that. If anything I'd compare him more to Joshua King than I would Abraham.

19 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I understand the comparisons with Tammy, but IIRC last season there were doubts about signing him (if Chelsea were prepared to let him go) because he'd never proved it in the Prem. But Tammy is younger and had already scored 20+ twice in the Champ by the age of 21. Watkins has done it once and he's 25 in December. 

Brentford really do know how to pull our pants down over deals. Let's hope Watkins turns out to be a good signing from them for a change and his value actually goes up in 12 months rather than down. Otherwise I suggest we never buy from them ever again.

Watkins was a wide player until last season I believe. No real surprise he hasn't scored over 20 goals a season before. 

Â