Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

£28m + add ons is an outrageous price at this current moment

He may double his value in 2 years, he may prove to be worth just what we paid for him, or we may never see that money again.

As with any transfer it is a gamble but the fee makes this a huge gamble. I've no doubt Watkins is good enough for this level from what I've seen, but will we get any kind of value for money from this deal?

I think it is a good show of intent that the money is there to spend to strengthen the squad, and I think with a new GK and probably a winger as well we are in a stronger position than last season. Very pleased to get this deal into the final stages and I'm just glad it's not my money they're spending.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Bent was a proven PL goalscorer and England player though.

Point is the same.  As an aside, Bent was four years older, so there's a lot more potential resale value for Watkins down the line

Fans will find a way to moan about anything.  If Spurs bought him for £25m then we'd have been accused of not being able to compete with the big boys/not showing transfer clout.  We have made Watkins a No.1 target for a reason.  We now look like we are going to get him, and people are moaning.  I don't think Villa want to pay more than they would like for him, but they're going to have to.  This is not our money.  It's the owners'.  So let's give them a nod for getting their man no matter what (if it actually is confirmed of course).

So by my reckoning, £28m is the record transfer fee paid for a championship player who hasn't just been relegated from Premier League, beating out Jude Bellingham at £24m. Nathan Ake is the record for a championship player just relegated from prem at £40m. 

I thought transfer fees were supposed to be suppressed by 20 - 30% by the pandemic?! Lets hope he's worth it!

4 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

£28m + add ons is an outrageous price at this current moment

He may double his value in 2 years, he may prove to be worth just what we paid for him, or we may never see that money again.

As with any transfer it is a gamble but the fee makes this a huge gamble. I've no doubt Watkins is good enough for this level from what I've seen, but will we get any kind of value for money from this deal?

I think it is a good show of intent that the money is there to spend to strengthen the squad, and I think with a new GK and probably a winger as well we are in a stronger position than last season. Very pleased to get this deal into the final stages and I'm just glad it's not my money they're spending.

Well said.  It shows we mean business and this sort of thing is surely going to be good for Jack/McGinn/Luiz to see too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Rosk said:

Point is the same.  As an aside, Bent was four years older, so there's a lot more potential resale value for Watkins down the line

Fans will find a way to moan about anything.  If Spurs bought him for £25m then we'd have been accused of not being able to compete with the big boys/not showing transfer clout.  We have made Watkins a No.1 target for a reason.  We now look like we are going to get him, and people are moaning.  I don't think Villa want to pay more than they would like for him, but they're going to have to.  This is not our money.  It's the owners'.  So let's give them a nod for getting their man no matter what (if it actually is confirmed of course).

Bent was 2 years older than Watkins roughly (26 nearly 27): https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jan/18/darren-bent-aston-villa-sunderland 

I've said all along Watkins is a gamble but if it pays off Smith will get a great deal of credit. If it doesn't he's in big, big trouble because that is a huge fee. 

• Like 1

Happy to see Watkins coming in. He's coming off the back of a really good season and his confidence will be sky high. 

I just hope we create enough as a team to get him the goals we know he can score. 

Again, he's a player that can play anywhere across the front 3 so good cover for a few positions. 

Now I hope he brings his mate Said with him! 

If movement has happened, and we have upped our offer to unlock this move,  it's is purely down to the fact that Brentford weren't budging on their demands until window closing week.

Our owners may have offered 20m... and been told "no chance. If there are no other bids by the end of the window you can have him for that. Otherwise 25m now and he's yours. "

Our owners have decided to shop around and see what else is available for that 20m (21m) they were willing to spend. Realised there was nothing better,  and gone back Brentford and said... OK.  By this time Brentford now say...sorry, price is now 28m. Owners don't want to have noone for the start of the season. Price is agreed. Jobs a gooden.

Don't care if we pay 5m over the odds on the transfer price, that wont significantly hold us back. Wages are the crippler, and Wilkins shouldn't be on too much. Great news. If true. Next

Â