Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The last thing we should worry about is a poor touch in the OPPONENTS box. We should've defended the counter.

Absolutely.  Its also the last thing we want our striker worrying about. "Mustn't try anything creative here that risks losing the ball, in case they counter and score"... just ludicrous. 

The midfield and defence needed to be much better at stopping a break like that, which means someone dropping in to cover the gaping hole Targett left, and the other tracking back. Neither of which happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Absolutely.  Its also the last thing we want our striker worrying about. "Mustn't try anything creative here that risks losing the ball, in case they counter and score"... just ludicrous. 

The midfield and defence needed to be much better at stopping a break like that, which means someone dropping in to cover the gaping hole Targett left, and the other tracking back. Neither of which happened.

Trouble is he wasn’t trying to be “creative”, he was just not concentrating and was a bit limp in his control. They were both easy balls to control, he just didn’t succeed. He wasn’t trying anything brilliant or daring.

So, perhaps not such a “ludicrous” idea after all that he should be able to keep a simple ball when not under that much threat? 

I think by attempting but failing to justify his couple of errors, you are actually drawing attention to them and wrongly focusing the debate on them rather than his overall performance which was good.

10 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Trouble is he wasn’t trying to be “creative”, he was just not concentrating and was a bit limp in his control. They were both easy balls to control, he just didn’t succeed. He wasn’t trying anything brilliant or daring.

So, perhaps not such a “ludicrous” idea after all that he should be able to keep a simple ball when not under that much threat? 

I think by attempting but failing to justify his couple of errors, you are actually drawing attention to them and wrongly focusing the debate on them rather than his overall performance which was good.

The ball from Targett was terrible. Played to the wrong side of Watkins and meant Watkins had to control it under pressure from a west ham defender (or basically knowing he'd have a player up his arsenal the second he controls it).

Had Targett played a decent weighted ball in front of Watkins for him to run on to or even to his right foot, it would have never been mis controlled.

Targett under zero pressure, plays a crap ball...

20210205_123953.jpg

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The ball from Targett was terrible. Played to the wrong side of Watkins and meant Watkins had to control it under pressure from a west ham defender (or basically knowing he'd have a player up his arsenal the second he controls it).

Had Targett played a decent weighted ball in front of Watkins for him to run on to or even to his right foot, it would have never been mis controlled.

Targett under zero pressure, plays a crap ball...

20210205_123953.jpg

It’s a shame because the bit of play by Targett just before that was fantastic. Would have liked to have seen him whip a ball rather than play the pass. Fine margins. 

Just now, TheStagMan said:

Done great again today. I wouldn't bet against him getting 20 league goals this season.

I said it earlier in the season, he's getting 15 easy. Would love for him to get 20. Don't even think Yorke did that for us.

Beyond his goal contribution he just offers so much to the way we play, he made a huge run back late in the match today - allowing us to then go on counter via Jack. Deano obviously knew exactly what he'd get with him and it seems he is giving him that and more. 

Sounds harsh because he's already hit a total of goals I think most people would have been happy with him getting over the course of the whole season, but I think the only thing stopping him from being a top level striker at the moment is that he spurns a few too many chances.

What a signing he's been though, genuinely transformative to the way we play. Really bullied Holding at times today.

Â