Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Some of that luck came back to him today, but he's deffo earned it. 3 goals each against Liverpool and Arsenal this season too, with a game to go. Wouldn't be surprised to see him improve on that record. 

He has scored 10 League goals already. 12 total. There are 17 games to go... Yet he has been such a revelation, those goals are almost secondary. 

I think we've all seen enough to know he's the business for Aston Villa, and probably will be for some time. 

Totally. Epitomised for me by his chasing down his runner on an Arsenal attack and backing up Targett... he’s scored in three consecutive games for us for the first time since Bent did. But he’s got SO much more than Bent, and so much potential left to give.

• Like 2

He said in a post match interview recently that he’s really loving it here and had a huge smile on his face when he said it. The Villa magic is already in his blood, imagine how he’ll feel the first time he walks out at a full Villa Park and looks up at The Holte in full cry. Spine tingling even thinking about it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Exeter Fan said:

Could you kindly loan him back to us towards the end of the season if you've either secured a European place or no longer mathematically can? We seriously need getting out of L2 and it's near impossible when our youth keeps getting poached. 2 or 3 gamee should be fine at the end of the season. Cheers 

Joking apart, could you always see Watkins as a top player/possible international or has it been a bit of a surprise for you guys?  Be interested to hear your views on this.

When we had Tammy we knew what we need in terms of a striker. I'd say Smith paid close attention to all the attributes of Tammy in the championship and wanted something similar or better.

So we find Watkins and Smith brings him from Brentford here, it was a risk to all us fans we hardly knew anything about him apart from he'd been a striker for abit (what was it a season) after converting and score a ton of goals. So yes we buy him and were all nervous as hell about the lad but he soon put those nervous fears to rest, Smith found his Tammy and possibly more.

You can see the similarities between Tammy and Watkins both run like crazy although, I think Watkins is running more when they both play. Both do defensive duty, both score at top level but without question I now wouldnt trade Watkins for Tammy not a chance.  I'd have both at the club for sure but I enjoy Watkins more now.

A first season and Watkins has more than paid for his signing fee, if 33 million was the final fee then Brentford and Villa got a deal and half. I would also say that out of Brentford and us, we got the sweet side of the deal. For me anyway Watkins is looking better than alot of strikers in this league and I'd put a bet on him at some point earning his golden boot.

The lad pushes on and pushes himself he is a credit to himself and his team and I'd say hes easy worth double on what we paid for. There are clubs that go and spend way more than what we did to secure a striker capable of firing in that many goals as Watkins did yet many dont succeed. 

It also goes to show how far recruitment has come to find the right player for the right job there is a brilliant behind the scenes team working all angles to make things work.

Well done Villa and all the players for the tough work you keep improving on.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Joking apart, could you always see Watkins as a top player/possible international or has it been a bit of a surprise for you guys?  Be interested to hear your views on this.

He never looked the part until we loaned him out to WSM. He came back a different man. It was evident he was destined for the PL and eventually England once he started playing as he did the 18 months before he left us for Brentford 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

When we had Tammy we knew what we need in terms of a striker. I'd say Smith paid close attention to all the attributes of Tammy in the championship and wanted something similar or better.

So we find Watkins and Smith brings him from Brentford here, it was a risk to all us fans we hardly knew anything about him apart from he'd been a striker for abit (what was it a season) after converting and score a ton of goals. So yes we buy him and were all nervous as hell about the lad but he soon put those nervous fears to rest, Smith found his Tammy and possibly more.

You can see the similarities between Tammy and Watkins both run like crazy although, I think Watkins is running more when they both play. Both do defensive duty, both score at top level but without question I now wouldnt trade Watkins for Tammy not a chance.  I'd have both at the club for sure but I enjoy Watkins more now.

A first season and Watkins has more than paid for his signing fee, if 33 million was the final fee then Brentford and Villa got a deal and half. I would also say that out of Brentford and us, we got the sweet side of the deal. For me anyway Watkins is looking better than alot of strikers in this league and I'd put a bet on him at some point earning his golden boot.

The lad pushes on and pushes himself he is a credit to himself and his team and I'd say hes easy worth double on what we paid for. There are clubs that go and spend way more than what we did to secure a striker capable of firing in that many goals as Watkins did yet many dont succeed. 

It also goes to show how far recruitment has come to find the right player for the right job there is a brilliant behind the scenes team working all angles to make things work.

Well done Villa and all the players for the tough work you keep improving on.

Truth be told I didn't think it was a risk because even if he doesn't score he creates so many opportunities for others that they must score.

12 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Some have been comparing Watkins and Abraham and I like them both but for me Watkins is a better all-round player.

£33 million or whatever it is it's good value....Chelsea would have wanted about £50 million for Abraham.

Watkins is absolutely, hands down, better than Abraham. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Some have been comparing Watkins and Abraham and I like them both but for me Watkins is a better all-round player.

£33 million or whatever it is it's good value....Chelsea would have wanted about £50 million for Abraham.

Agree with this. Abraham is arguably a better finisher but can also be wasteful. If Watkins improves his finishing (which it seems he already has been) and improves the timing of his runs, he has a better future in the game than Abraham.

Abraham is also very young though. Sod it, let’s have them both. 

• Like 3

His ability to not only get past defenders but frequently hold them off (or even bully them off the ball) is remarkable. 

He seems to have the will to improve, too. He has bulked up a little bit but hasn’t lost that pace. Physically, he looks terrific.

He has already proved himself to be an exceptionally talented Premier League striker

21 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Totally. Epitomised for me by his chasing down his runner on an Arsenal attack and backing up Targett... he’s scored in three consecutive games for us for the first time since Bent did. But he’s got SO much more than Bent, and so much potential left to give.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind if he doesn’t score another goal all season.  His running is worth a goal to us as a team in every game.

Need to fill the team with players with an attitude like his and Grealish’s.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

How did no one play him as a ST until last season? 

I reckon another 6 or 7 goals. If he manages to get to 20 pl goals this season we'll finish top 6

I love these winger turned striker players.  They just have this built in work ethic that you don’t always see in the ‘always played as a number 9’ type.

Â