Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

He offers us so much. Absolutely love him.

Basically all the things the Brentford fans said about him are true - excellent work rate, incredible athlete, no problem scoring goals etc. Great signing. 

8 minutes ago, Loxstock92 said:

Ended up having a look back to the start of the thread for Ollie and around the time we signed him.

we signed him for an initial £28m to mixed reviews re the fee. At the halfway stage of the season how we feeling about the fee at this point?

I thought that was too expensive. I wanted Edouard over Ollie, as well as a couple of other names I wouldn't mention because it's embarrassing. 

After watching him for half a season I wouldn't want any of them over him. Don't care about the fee, he's great and will improve. 

his overall game is excellent, he works like a trojan and you can see what he offers to the team, really good signing overall, zero doubt about that.

In terms of development, he isnt scoring the marginal goals that top strikers do currently, for example the lovely turn/roll versus southampton, lovely bit of play but then didnt score, or the cross field ball against southampton he received (almost identical to Grealish's goal last season from Luiz where Grealish scored), but Ollie wanted too many touches and didnt capitalise, other similar scenarios where he has a good chance where elite strikers tend to nail it but ollie seems to just snatch at it or isnt quite composed enough to pick a spot.

Not gonna complain because he is scoring goals, he gets in scoring positions and offers so much to the team overall, but he isnt taking the marginal chances (and sometimes clear chances), that scoring wise would take him to the next level, hopefully that will come with development, PL experience etc.

As i say, overall a brilliant signing, but there are areas for improvement that can take him from good/very good to top PL level.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

first season in the top flight, learning curve etc, but it's been a solid start. Obviously has missed a few chances, and been robbed of a couple of goals, but at the rate of improvement of other players in their second season with us, next year he could be a beast. 

41 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yep, although just a note that one of Watkins 8 was a penalty.  Southampton at home.

Oops, all I remembered was how badly he was slated for his pen record that I completely forgot that one!

He looks like a £30M striker, I think that’s about the best compliment he can be paid.

First touch still needs a bit of work and I think he could do a bit more to beat a man sometimes but that’s nitpicking. Easily the best striker we’ve had since Benteke.

• Like 1

Everything about Watkins and his overall contribution to the team reinforces just how little I understand the game, especially in comparison to the pros. I saw him and assumed he'd be a typical poacher who could deputise on the wings; I didn't think he'd revolutionise our entire forward play.

• Like 1

Even before his goal I thought he was our best player, chasing down things and trying to get us going. Probably should've scored first half with the two chances.

Sloppy play giving it away so easily for the 2nd goal and wasn't strong enough for the third either but Martinez should've saved at least one of them.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Great goal but some poor touches at times. 

Massive gap between him and midfield though West Ham where aggressive and we struggled to get a foothold in the middle had no support from Barkley 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's been a little unlucky that his miscontrols have led to goals. 

He has, but then again, if he doesn't miscontrol them they don't get a chance to go at us on the break. Should've done better with thosr

He’s got great movement and skill but I think if you look back at his highlight reel you’d say he needs to improve on his finishing ... a lot of cases he makes great space for himself with a run or some skill and kinda drags the shot 

but it’s his first season in the prem , he’s young and he’s still learning and will only get better .

I think having another striker would have helped him , either to play off sometimes or even just to give him a rest in games 

Â