Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Really really like him. Feel like we're in good hands if keep him leading the line for the club for the next few years. What could have been if he hits the inside of the post first half.

Haha, you beat me too it!

• Like 1

As I commented in the reactions thread.

People fail to realise that often when he is recieving the ball with his back to goal, he is actively trying to fight off a monster defender mauling and trying to pull him down, throw him all over the place.

He is often trying to collect the ball falling backwards. Hence some of the miscontrols etc IMO.

Feed him quick and intelligent passes into the channel, at his feet to run on to and you see how devastating he can be.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Well taken goal but his touch is so sloppy at times. He really needs to try and sort it.

Having said that outside of the two poor touches that both led to goals, he had a good game.

Regardless of the poor touches in their half they had the midfield and defence to beat Barkley should have been latching onto his lose touches

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Well taken goal but his touch is so sloppy at times. He really needs to try and sort it.

I think that's just his level to be honest. We can't expect him to be Drogba, he's 25 and this is his first season in PL. If he was a world beater he would have climbed through the leagues a lot faster. For a club at our level he's just fine and hopefully he'll improve again next season.  

• Like 2

Players peak at different points in their career.

We are yet to see the best of Ollie.

His mental sharpness will improve and his touch will improve too. 

As I mentioned previously, this is his 2nd full season as a striker. He may not be naturally gifted but he works very hard and he will be even better next season and beyond.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Be nice if he could control the ball better a bit. Every time a turnover happens I fear the worst. Still, at least he looked interested compared to some of the others 

He's a striker! No need to fear if our other players are remotely capable.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

9 in the league.  2 in the Carabao

Only once in our last 10 premier league seasons have we had a player hit more than 13 league goals for the whole season (19 by Benteke in 2012/13)

So with 9 so far Ollie is well on track to beat 13. If he can get between 15 and 20 that is an excellent debut season in this league, given all the other positives he brings as well. 

I thought he was unlucky on the control off Targett's ball. The ball from Matt was really poor. Maybe he could have done better, but he really shouldn't have had to. Matt was under zero pressure when he made that pass, having skinned the 3 players that were marking him.

If he can repeat his performances of the first half of the season...accounting for better luck on the VAR front in the second half, he could hit 20 goals. Would be an amazing feat.

8 hours ago, omariqy said:

Best player for us. Had to work so hard yesterday without any support 

Interesting that my West Ham mates thought he was only Villa player that played well last night. Its rediculous if people blame him for the two goals as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Interesting that my West Ham mates thought he was only Villa player that played well last night. Its rediculous if people blame him for the two goals as well. 

Not sure “blame” is the right word - the fatal faults happened much nearer our own penalty area, but he did lose the ball initially for the moves that led to goals 2 and 3 and that really wasn’t helpful.

This is an area of his game he needs to work on.

He was my man of the match against West Ham but that doesn’t stop me wanting him to do even better.

Â