Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Thing is, what slightly concerns me is that I've seen Brentford fans say he was never the best finisher in his Brentford days too. Looking at his penalty record, might just be a composure issue.

Its the only part of his game where I can point a flaw in. If we trust xG, he has the second highest xG in the league so far, only behind Jamie Vardy. If he can improve his finishing he could truly turn into a world class striker. Right now he has all the tools though.

Take his goal today, I think what he's tried to do is side foot it to the near post, the keepers left as he takes a step and therefore has momentum towards his right, without the deflection it would have been interesting to see if the keeper had got there

A poor finisher lashes at it or just aimlessly blasts it goalwards, or goes at it with his left foot across the keeper which is a harder body position and contact to make and easier to scuff 

That will depend on how you define "poor finisher" I don't think a missed chance is automatically a poor finish, I think Ollie has had some missed chances this season that he's been unluckybwith rather than poor 

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Yeah agreed, it's not really a criticism of him to say he doesn't score a huge amount of half chances,  more so just a point that it's the only thing that's really stopping him from being that next level striker that he could be (which is saying something considering how well he's been performing).

I'm hoping its something that will come with training or experience 

I think the good thing is that he seemingly has the brain and work rate that is harder to coach 

Just now, KAZZAM said:

He's been amazing 10 goals in the league with no penaltys.

Needs to be a pen merchant if hes to challenge Vardy/Kane as best striker in the league.

Something to work on.

He scored a penalty earlier in the season didn't he?

tell you what, in the 54th minute he ran back and tracked an arsenal player all the way in to the 18 yard box, amazing.

Take note Barkley.....who was jogging 40 yards up the pitch while Watkins was tracking back.

• Like 4

It's great he has 10 goals now especially with all the ones off the woodwork and crazy VAR decisions.

I do want to say however we have an issue with how Ollie plays, he cuts out wide a lot but when he does it we don't really have a presence in the box and often the other players don't rush in to fill the space he has vacated.

It is something we need to fix.

For me he is the best signing of the summer. He is absolutely terrific, glad he is getting the goals to compliment the unbelievable running and stretching of opposition he does. He gets into great positions and other than goals tally, I dont think there is a better team forward in the division.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

For me he is the best signing of the summer. He is absolutely terrific, glad he is getting the goals to compliment the unbelievable running and stretching of opposition he does. He gets into great positions and other than goals tally, I dont think there is a better team forward in the division.

He is and a challenger to jack for our player of the season. Cash has also been a great signing. 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

tell you what, in the 54th minute he ran back and tracked an arsenal player all the way in to the 18 yard box, amazing.

Take note Barkley.....who was jogging 40 yards up the pitch while Watkins was tracking back.

Or look at the positive and say Barkley did exactly what your most attacking midfielder should do if the striker has tracked back, which is stay high to prevent the opposition compressing the field of play too much.

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Or look at the positive and say Barkley did exactly what your most attacking midfielder should do if the striker has tracked back, which is stay high to prevent the opposition compressing the field of play too much.

come on mate.....i see ur point....but thats a pretty shaky defence of Barkley........Barkley doesnt work half as hard as any other player in our first 11.....its not even close....

Barkley seriously needs to up his game imo.

As I said in the match reaction thread, it's very possible that Watkins never will be as predatorially prolific as Harry Kane or as spectacular as Traore. However, his energy and work rate and willingness to run the channels and set up others means that during a season he will contribute to a sizable bunch of goals scored by the team, in more or less subtle ways.

It's easy to be fond of Ollie Watkins. The player, at least!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

come on mate.....i see ur point....but thats a pretty shaky defence of Barkley........Barkley doesnt work half as hard as any other player in our first 11.....its not even close....

Barkley seriously needs to up his game imo.

I’m not posting “oh Barkley is amazing” (although I thought he played well today which seems a minority view) I am just saying in the example you gave he was where he should have been. They can’t all just run up and back and up again and back again for 90 mins like primary school kids. Anyway to stay on topic I couldn’t agree more with your point on Watkins, love him. 

Â