Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

25 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

If he can improve his hold up play and finishing he'll be a top top player. For me he was great off the ball last night but often was a little poor whilst on the ball usually giving it away far too easily. If he can sort that out he'll be phenominal.

I thought he good on the ball and held it up well myself. The only area he needs to improve is his finishing. But heck he'd be a £100 million striker then

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I thought he good on the ball and held it up well myself. The only area he needs to improve is his finishing. But heck he'd be a £100 million striker then

His finishing is great, he just gets less time to pick a shot in this league so has dragged a few and also missed some easy headers. Once he nails it he will get 20 goals.

• Like 1

Just now, Risso said:

Ollie was great again, he's the most complete striker we've had in a long time, and for a young lad coming from the Championship he's had a brilliant first season. I think he just needs to develop a bit more of a ruthless streak to his nature.

Agreed, though I think that will come.  Just look at how Luiz, Konsa and Targett* have come on after a year in the league.  Watkins still hasn't played 20 top flight games in his entire career and he's already crucial to how we play.  I do wonder how his role will change when Wesley comes back, but I predict a really good future Watkins. 

*I know Targett had a few games for Southampton but he was in and out of the side and coming off the bench a lot. 

16 minutes ago, Risso said:

Ollie was great again, he's the most complete striker we've had in a long time, and for a young lad coming from the Championship he's had a brilliant first season. I think he just needs to develop a bit more of a ruthless streak to his nature.

Agreed. It's also worth remembering that this is only his second season playing as a striker. 

4 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

His finishing is great, he just gets less time to pick a shot in this league so has dragged a few and also missed some easy headers. Once he nails it he will get 20 goals.

I too think is finishing and accuracy is very good.

I back him to score the ruled out one most times.

Its the snapshots or quickfire chances he isn't taking yet for me.

Ironically, the little turn in quickfire type goals from a hard, low cross at the post seem to be a strength of Wesleys.

I legit think they would be great foil for each other.

• Thanks 1

I don't see any weakness in him other than experience, I think he's been an absolute revelation. I saw how good he was at Brentford regularly, I always wanted us to sign him but I never thought he'd been this good straight away. As Russo said, he's the most complete striker we've had. Benteke was ruthless but we've not had a player like Ollie that contributes so much to the team. 

I don't know if it highlights how bad we've been the past 10 years but it's a joy to look at our team and think things like:-

This is the best striker we've had in s long time.

Martinez is the best keeper we've had in a long time.

The football, Jack, the defence. This season, this team has been a joy and long may it continue.

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve been really impressed the last couple of games. He seems to be getting involved more and not going missing like earlier in the season. 

I don't remember him going missing very much at all. Poor results were down to other players/factors

Edited by Kiwivillan

19 hours ago, Risso said:

Spot on. He drifts a bit in the box at times rather than make the move - as soon as he starts moving regularly, he’s on for 15-a-season. 

For example, his goal against Burnley was perfect. Moves across to the front post to finish. Against Southampton, he was drifting more to the middle of the box/back post and becoming less dangerous (exception being his lovely turn and shot effort).

A small thing, but it makes a difference. Outside of this, he’s the complete centre forward - and it’s worth noting he hasn’t actually played as a striker for that long so hopefully the movement starts to come as he develops. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

as soon as he starts moving regularly, he’s on for 15-a-season. 

On 8 with half a season to go and owed a couple more but for ridiculous VAR. Be shocked if he doesn't pass 15 this season

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

His quality in the air is going under the radar. 

He is winning 4 headers per game, as per whoscored. Which is  good for 12th in the entire Premier League. 

Just checked that's 9th for forwards and 3rd for those played +1000 minutes 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

On 8 with half a season to go and owed a couple more but for ridiculous VAR. Be shocked if he doesn't pass 15 this season

Goal charts (discounting penalties):

Son 12

DCL 11

Bamford 10

Salah 10

Kane 9

Watkins 8

I'd say he's doing pretty well and possibly even exceeding expectations, without even factoring into consideration those VAR decisions and everything else he brings to the squad.

20 minutes ago, a-k said:

Goal charts (discounting penalties):

Son 12

DCL 11

Bamford 10

Salah 10

Kane 9

Watkins 8

I'd say he's doing pretty well and possibly even exceeding expectations, without even factoring into consideration those VAR decisions and everything else he brings to the squad.

Yep, although just a note that one of Watkins 8 was a penalty.  Southampton at home.

• Like 1

Ended up having a look back to the start of the thread for Ollie and around the time we signed him.

we signed him for an initial £28m to mixed reviews re the fee. At the halfway stage of the season how we feeling about the fee at this point?

Â