Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 03/09/2020 at 23:12, useless said:

We're not signing Watkins as a winger it doesn't matter how many more goals Benrahma scored than him from the wing, we're signing him as a centre-forward where he scored 26 goals and was player of the season in the championship, I watched at least ten Brentford games last season and Watkins was mostly excellent, have more confidence in him making the step up to the premier league than any other player I saw last season in that division, he performed better for Brentford last season than Abraham did for us when we were promoted, much more of an all round game.

Having a good season

Edited by useless
Accidently quoted that, so have made the text smaller to show that I don't think it's worth reading again.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I said a while back I think he’s a better all round player than Tammy and I stand by it. 

Yeah and me, his all round game is better

his off the ball stuff both when we have the ball and when we don't is the best I've seen in a long long time, including Benteke 

Seen some England shout stuff and the Wikipedia scouts were out, what Watkins does for us is criminally underrated unless you watch us every week and understand how we play, he's key to it, even the clean sheets stats and huge improvement to our defence all starts with ollies high press

• Like 2

I also love the way he’s very two footed. He can shift the ball past a defender from either side of the area and shoot.

Its a really effective attribute of his game that perhaps goes a little unnoticed.

Edited by Delphinho123

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah and me, his all round game is better

his off the ball stuff both when we have the ball and when we don't is the best I've seen in a long long time, including Benteke 

Seen some England shout stuff and the Wikipedia scouts were out, what Watkins does for us is criminally underrated unless you watch us every week and understand how we play, he's key to it, even the clean sheets stats and huge improvement to our defence all starts with ollies high press

It shouldn't be underestimated how difficult a job he has playing up there on his own.  You get players that can do it but don't get in anywhere near as many goalscoring positions as Ollie, let alone score as many.  For someone who only did it for one season in the Championship he has had a remarkable season.

Does anyone else think it looks like he plays in slow motion when on the ball. I cant work it out? Hes obviously moving really fast, as defenders very rarely tackle him or block his shots, but it looks like he moves slow. Might be the way he runs.

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Does anyone else think it looks like he plays in slow motion when on the ball. I cant work it out? Hes obviously moving really fast, as defenders very rarely tackle him or block his shots, but it looks like he moves slow. Might be the way he runs.

I know what you mean. It’s like he takes plays on really slowly yet they can’t stop him. It’s bizarre.  Some matrix shit going on. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Fantastic signing. I was a bit apprehensive of him being our main striker this season. I liked him but thought he could have done with some help, hence why he were looking at Wilson as well. 

He's been amazing though. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For all his great attacking play that moment when he sprinted all the way with Saka shows what a player we have here.  Can’t wait to be able to cheer him on. 

One of my favourite parts of the match. This is why he’ll be a fans favourite (he already is) when the crowds come back. 

Everybody loves a trier, especially when they’re also f***** good at football. 

• Like 3

What on earth does he run on. Absolute terminator.

He was really confident today after that early goal.

You could see he was loving the final 20 mins. The challenge of it. He was back up on his feet after every collision haring around.

What a hero to have in the side. You'd be embarrassed to not put in everything you've got playing in the same side as him.

• Like 1

Potentially the best striker to play for Villa since Yorke?

Angel, Carew, Gabby, Benteke - none were as complete as Ollie. He is Kane Lite and closing that gap. His hold-up, his runs, his use of his body are absolutely exceptional and integral to how we play.

Absolutely brilliant player.

Some of that luck came back to him today, but he's deffo earned it. 3 goals each against Liverpool and Arsenal this season too, with a game to go. Wouldn't be surprised to see him improve on that record. 

He has scored 10 League goals already. 12 total. There are 17 games to go... Yet he has been such a revelation, those goals are almost secondary. 

I think we've all seen enough to know he's the business for Aston Villa, and probably will be for some time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, turvontour said:

I know what you mean. He’s got a swan-like quality, where it all looks so graceful. You know he’s working really hard but makes it look easy.

Â