Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

Just curious not an attack but when you call Douglas casual is it like a Andrea Pirlo, he plays the game at his pace kind of casual, or is it he looks like he doesn't care enough.  

Oh definitely just his style and not because he doesn’t care. Be he got caught a couple of times as expected too much time. He will keep learning and improving so not a concern. Just an observation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Top class today, one mistake in the second half but convinced it was because he didn't get a shout. Dictated the play at times, always in control.

I counted 2 actually. If the bloke wouldn't get disposessed so easily I'd be happier with him. 

But credit where credit is due, he had a good game overall.

He has really tidy feet and doesn't panic under pressure. Sometimes this looks a bit lacklustre (bit like the way Ozil and Berbatov come across), but you really want midfielders who you can fire the ball into under pressure, and he's one of them.

I think DS has got it bang on now with how he uses Luiz / Nakamba / Hourihane.

Hourihane you want when you think you can control possession in the middle, and then he brings that set piece threat.

Nakamba you want when it's going to be more of a battle, and you need someone clearing everything up.

And Luiz is just a "glue" player who works in both kinds of game. Not a DM, not an AM, just a central midfielder who can do a bit of defensive work and also offer an attacking threat. There was a lovely little move in the second half where he took the ball under pressure, one two with Wesley, before springing an attack.

I would like to see him show a bit more fight at times, especially in those games where we aren't enjoying loads of possession, but he's been a good signing IMO.

• Like 3

I really like him, I don't see him as this advanced player than some others do. Get him in that deep role and let him run the game. 

Still prone to being a little too relaxed but I think he's extremely talented. Has a cracking shot as we all know as well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Fittest and sharpest he's looked so far in a villa shirt .

See, I'm not so sure of that. I really want to be wowed by him but for some reason I just can't get carried away by him. 

There was a chase back in the first half where he looked like he was running in quicksand. 

I think there's a player in there that we haven't yet seen. I think he's much better than he's shown so far and hopefully we'll get to see that. 

Yeah couple of times in second half he got caught but overall thought he was very comfortable. He just has air of someone in control and reads the game pretty well.

There's lots more to come from him if people are a little bit more patient than they appear to be in this thread.

• Like 1

Yep I agree, and I think the mistake you’re thinking of typified this. He thought he had more time to await the ball come into him when someone ran from behind him and got there first. He learns from that, next time has a glance over his shoulder and steps towards the ball. Its clear he’s got so much ability on the ball and finds the game easy. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Oh definitely just his style and not because he doesn’t care. Be he got caught a couple of times as expected too much time. He will keep learning and improving so not a concern. Just an observation.

• Like 1

What needs to be taken into consideration with Luiz is that he is only 21 and only played a few games in the Prem.

To see what he has in his game this early its frightening how much better he can get.

I was critical of him at the game for being caught in possession in dangerous areas but he will learn and will become a top player.

Keep up the good work young man!

• Like 1

Certainly not rough round the edges.

He's got the smoothest edges I've ever seen at 21.

There's just a couple of smudges to buff out.

Quicken up a touch in possession. Learn to look around more often. Watch and learn from Grealish. Before the ball even gets to his feet, he's already looked around and knows how much room he's got.

He's not quite as good as he thinks he is yet, but he's close. So good for his age.

5 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Having him in the team stops jack from collecting the ball so deep , he brings the ball out of defence well , and weighes his passes as good as Jack does  really good young player

This. Exactly this. Which is also why he can play in Hourihane's spot if needed. The composure he gives on the ball, means Jack can stay further up the pitch and it's so essential for our attacking play. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This. Exactly this. Which is also why he can play in Hourihane's spot if needed. The composure he gives on the ball, means Jack can stay further up the pitch and it's so essential for our attacking play. 

Yes, nakmba is better at defending but lacks Luiz ‘s ability to start attack , Surpised Nakamba was not brought on at 80th min mark to see the game to see the game out though 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Anyone figured out what is his best position yet?

I thought he was pretty decent playing as a deep lying playmaker last night.

I know you said you thought he'd be best there alongside Marvelous, but I don't think it was needed last night. We wont come up against another team as toothless up front as Newcastle though so playing those two next to each other might be an option at some point.

I'm fairly confident Luiz will come good, but there does stil seem to be an element of learning his best position as he gets a run of games and improves.

10 hours ago, Villarocker said:

See, I'm not so sure of that. I really want to be wowed by him but for some reason I just can't get carried away by him. 

There was a chase back in the first half where he looked like he was running in quicksand. 

I think there's a player in there that we haven't yet seen. I think he's much better than he's shown so far and hopefully we'll get to see that. 

I don't think he is meant to be a "Wow" type player.

He is a Defensive/Box to Box midfielder with some skill.

The "Wow factor" might be the belters he occasionally let's fly.

Â