Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Ye I don't think he could have had much worse of a tie. Penalty miss. Penalty conceded, yellows, loads of misplaced passes, crosses etc. 

Hopefully just exhausted, but shame to end the season like this. He looks agitated quite a lot which is unlike him. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

to who? 

liverpool? man utd? chelsea?

all of them get better, we would get weaker

hopefully next season he can play every game in his actual postion

And he won't have to play 4500 minutes. 

Players get tired when they play the 38 game season without a break. Luiz has played an extra 1000 minutes on top of that. With his only rest being 3 games of suspension. And 2 International breaks. Imo it's not much of a surprise he can barely sprint at this point ajd his delivery has become worse. 

• Like 2

Good player, good character, BUT... could we actually be better without him? 

If we need to collect money in the summer, we've found our man.

Checking the stats, he's played over 4,000 minutes for us this season in 50 appearances. Only Ezri's made more minutes on the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

Not reactionary as I've thought it for a while but if we do need to generate funds then he's the one to go for me. We have Tielemans that can do the things he does and is also more accomplished in some areas.

Ludicrous chatter...

Dougie is playing his unfavoured position with Kamara out; you cannot criticise him too much.

Would much rather see Carlos, Digne, Olsen, Dendoncker, Archer, Lenglet go personally; that should give us some wiggle room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clear to see the blokes absolutely shattered, playing a role he's not comfortable in.

There's absolutely no coincidence that he looked better earlier in the season playing higher up the pitch, scoring goals and dictating play with a defensive midfielder sat in behind him.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Ye I don't think he could have had much worse of a tie. Penalty miss. Penalty conceded, yellows, loads of misplaced passes, crosses etc. 

Hopefully just exhausted, but shame to end the season like this. He looks agitated quite a lot which is unlike him. 

The handball was the tie, momentum was there, without it we win, dunno about tonight cos the game plan for both teams would have been different but we'd have won the home game 

24 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Good player, good character, BUT... could we actually be better without him? 

If we need to collect money in the summer, we've found our man.

i posted similar to you recently that i regret to be honest. all have played their part in the best season in living memory. some of had better seasons than others but that's football.

i don't want to see any of this lot leave this summer, irrespective of our feelings on how some individuals have played this season. they've earned the right to put the villa shirt on with the champions league music playing at villa park IMO and we will need them next season.

8 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Really feels like he is off this summer. Could work out well for all parties.

I doubt it very much. 10 goals 10 assists. In the top 3 for minutes played  this season tells me he'll be one of those staying because Unai will have appreciated his efforts unlike some of the fans. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I doubt it very much. 10 goals 10 assists. In the top 3 for minutes played  this season tells me he'll be one of those staying because Unai will have appreciated his efforts unlike some of the fans. 

Sorry - was not questioning his performances. Just feel he is our most expendable asset and his recent performances (after coming back from a suspension)  gives a vibe that maybe he is close to a switch.

Dougie won’t be going anywhere for footballing reasons from our point of view, he’s obviously brilliant and can only get better as part of a stronger squad. He may leave for financial reasons to allow compliant further building, or he may want to leave, but he won’t be let go because of his ability, attitude or capacity. Personally I hope he sticks around 

Just now, nepal_villan said:

Sorry - was not questioning his performances. Just feel he is our most expendable asset and his recent performances (after coming back from a suspension)  gives a vibe that maybe he is close to a switch.

Don't apologise, I wasn't knocking you at all but I just don't see him being sold. If anything we've several other players that we need to get rid of in order to bolster the squad. I know others think selling Luiz might supplement further signings but I just don't see that happening. I think Unai really rates him as a vital cog in the squad despite his recent poor form. 

• Like 1

Shame he couldn't live up to his own expectations tonight. Looks dead on his legs, and it's not really a surprise. As an exceptional footballer, he can perform a role that he's not ideally designed for for a period of time. But eventually its going to fall apart. And it seems that the combination of minutes played and that playing outside of his comfort zone have finally taken their toll.

Poor tonight. Poor for a few weeks now.

But I would be sad to see him sold as I know what he is capable of playing in his preferred role and not being forced to play every minute of every game due to injuries elsewhere in the squad.

Rest up Dougie. And, please Villa, buy a replacement for Kamara for when he's inevitably injured. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

And he won't have to play 4500 minutes. 

Players get tired when they play the 38 game season without a break. Luiz has played an extra 1000 minutes on top of that. With his only rest being 3 games of suspension. And 2 International breaks. Imo it's not much of a surprise he can barely sprint at this point ajd his delivery has become worse. 

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Checking the stats, he's played over 4,000 minutes for us this season in 50 appearances. Only Ezri's made more minutes on the pitch.

he's missed 12 PL games for us since we signed him (not including this year) ... he really has played way too much without any decent amount of rest (as he usually plays a full 90). 

• Like 1

seems he’s already away on one of his summer fishing trips. 

I can picture it now tbf: Dubai, yacht, sun beating down, fisherman’s hat on, and an absolute beauty on the end of his rod 👍

5 hours ago, Callum said:

seems he’s already away on one of his summer fishing trips. 

I can picture it now tbf: Dubai, yacht, sun beating down, fisherman’s hat on, and an absolute beauty on the end of his rod 👍

hqdefault.jpg

Posted (edited)

No doubt he has had a drop off in form the last couple of months but flip his season on its head and we'd all be worried sick at the thought of him leaving in the summer.

I think the simple facts that apply to a lot of our players, including Luiz, are that they have ran out of steam both physically and mentally. Probably the biggest drop offs in form has been McGinn, Luiz and Konsa and without looking aside from Watkins I'd imagine they have had the most game time and have also been away for international duty. McGinn and Luiz have also seen a change in role in the absence of Kamara who has been a big miss. 

I wouldn't be looking to let Luiz go, absolutely no chance, but we certainly need another centre mid to help carry the workload of so many games. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Dougie is playing his unfavoured position with Kamara out; you cannot criticise him too much.

This is the key point to me.

It's important to distinguish between the fatigue problem and the out-of-position problem (and not just with Dougie). Dougie has played a lot of minutes, and the fatigue problem has some truth to it, but got a bit of a break because of his suspension. The bigger problem is that he doesn't have Kamara next to him and he has to adjust his game accordingly. As others have pointed out, McGinn and Doug have never worked well together in the double pivot.

• Thanks 1

Â