Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Until we have a top quality winger on both sides it makes sense for Jack to stay on the left. It's simply do we go more solid and controlled with Luiz or more goal threat with Hourihane.

I think stay solid with Luiz. With Jack almost playing a free role there needs to be more discipline in the middle. Hourihane and Mcginn are more forward thinking and we end up with that massive space in the middle of the park like against Brighton. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think stay solid with Luiz. With Jack almost playing a free role there needs to be more discipline in the middle. Hourihane and Mcginn are more forward thinking and we end up with that massive space in the middle of the park like against Brighton. 

I think smith will want to see how Luiz and Grealish work together in the same team (with Nakampa playing the holding role)  against a team other than City, which was hard to fairly critique due to the quality of the opposition. Think we miss with not having Hourihane is his dead ball qualities. I expect to see Luiz over Hourihane on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Against Wolves yes I agree. We can't afford to lose that game. I think with Luiz' technique and right foot he should be able to take some good set pieces.

On 07/11/2019 at 08:34, Philosopher said:

Against Wolves yes I agree. We can't afford to lose that game. I think with Luiz' technique and right foot he should be able to take some good set pieces.

we need Luiz or someone else to be able to take decent free kicks and set pieces as we are too reliant on Connor.

when was the last time we scored from a corner?

Edited by VillanousOne

I don't see Luiz as a DM.....I may change my mind when I see more of him, but so far, I don't.

I like him and I think his work is typically tidy, like most Brazillians its in the DNA.

I just don't see him as a DM......Nakamba, yes, but not Dougie.

I would like to see us sign a player with the stature of Henderson or Dier, or our own McCann.....someone who can also head the ball with competence (for the squad) and get their foot in.

A player to challenge Nakamba.

Edited by TRO

On 07/11/2019 at 08:26, Vive_La_Villa said:

agree with that.

There's so many words for CM roles these days from boxtobox, DLP, Regista, anchor and what not. Luiz kinda strikes me as a DLP or traditional central midfielder. He seems to do most stuff incredibly well, but I think putting him in a straight defensive position would limit his attacking potential. Cause he clearly has the ability to create going forward, not to mention his shooting ability. 

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't see Luiz as a DM.....I may change my mind when I see more of him, but so far, I don't.

I like him and I think his work is typically tidy, like most Brazillians its in the DNA.

I just don't see him as a DM......Nakamba, yes, but not Dougie.

I would like to see us sign a player with the stature of Henderson or Dier, or our own McCann.....someone who can also head the ball with competence (for the squad) and get their foot in.

A player to challenge Nakamba.

He is not a defensive mid. He is a deep lying playmaker. It's a position where his ability with the ball to pass long and short and shoot from range are just as, if not more important than his defensive qualities. That's why in order to play with such a role in your midfield you normally play them with a ball winner and have the DLP sit in front of the back four like an anchor man when defending. Luiz is perfectly to the DLP role. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

we need Luiz or someone else to be able to take decent free kicks and set pieces as we are too reliant on Connor.

when was the last time we scored from a corner?

I'm not sure when, but understat lists us as having scored one goal from a corner this season.

Ran some numbers through calculation. Basically found the average number of corners we've had per game, number of shots we've gotten from corners and expected goals per shot from corners and combined them together to find that our expected goals per corner is 2.55%. This is higher than both Liverpool's expected corner conversion rate(1.94%) and Watford's expected corner conversion rate(1.47%) but lower than Man United's(4.84%). The bigger problem it seems is that we aren't getting enough corners, as we've only gotten 47 corners this season. That's the fifth worst in the league.

• Like 1

Might be controversial, but I don't really think he's that good. He can control a game when we are miles on top, like playing Wolves' youth team, but against top opposition he quickly turns into a passenger.

I'd play Hourihane over him every time. I understand that Luiz might be in some way *the better player*, but he isn't a better fit for our team. We aren't Man City.

• Like 3

Too much Hollywood, not enough of the basics.

its all very well scoring a screamer now and again and doing a nice touch here or there, but far too many stray passes, and just not involved enough.

The balance is just wrong with both him and nakamba on the pitch.  I get the DLP role is pretty much to collect the ball and distribute, but honestly their central defender Coady was passing better.

We’re lacking a cutting edge - and I’m afraid at the moment I am also starting to think that Hourihane is the better option - especially without grealish 

• Like 1

Has loads of ability but vanishes for huge periods of games. I kinda don't know where he fits. He's not really box to box and he's not really a true DM. I don't know if he works better in a different side but I don't know how we get the best from him.

• Like 1

Â