Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Aston Villa are poised to make another huge statement of intent with the £15 million signing of Manchester City’s Douglas Luiz.

Villa are closing in on the capture of the Brazilian central midfielder after agreeing a fee with the Premier League champions, as Dean Smith moves to further strengthen his squad.

A former Brazil under-20 international, Douglas has been on loan at Girona for the past two seasons and is set to leave City without making a single appearance.

However, the 21 year-old is highly regarded by Pep Guardiola and there was frustration at City before the start of last season when the Football Association declined to grant Douglas a work permit.

Villa are understood to be confident of avoiding any such issues and are hoping to complete his signing in the next few days. Sources suggest the deal is approximately around the £15m mark. City are also understood to have inserted a buy-back clause.

Smith has been keen to add a defensive midfielder after the departures of Glenn Whelan and Mile Jedinak and Douglas is believed to be a recommendation from Villa’s sporting director Jesus Garcia Pitarch.

Douglas impressed last season during his performances in Spain for Girona, playing a key role in the Catalonia club’s memorable 2-1 win over Real Madrid at the Bernabeu in February.

Villa have been trailing Leeds United’s Kalvin Phillips for much of the summer, and it remains to be seen whether the signing of Douglas will end that interest.

Reims centre-half Bjorn Engels is another target for last season’s Championship play-off winners, with talks ongoing with the French club.

Villa have alternative targets for the position but will continue negotiations in the hope of securing a decent price for the former Belgium under-21 international.

Smith’s squad are currently in Minnesota for a pre-season training camp.

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

Yeah I've just seen that pop up in my news feed.  Definitely an out of the blue signing if it happens.   The buy back clause is a bit concerning for sure but I'm guessing the club wouldn't go for this deal if it didn't suit them. 

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s a glorified loan really. If he’s that good he goes back and we make a profit. They may also buy him back and sell him on again for even more money. 

Edit -

More info on the permit issue. Transfer and extra year in Spain means he now qualifies. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Thats2 said:

Percy tweeted it too and his info is by far the most solid.

No I know, it was just a joke about how every player we’re linked with will apparently cost £20 million. It’s a lot less funny now I’ve had to explain it lol

• Haha 1

Wow this is a big statement. If city want him back it won't be for 15m that's for sure. It might be something like a buy back first option. Purslow is no mug. He Isn't going to just let them have him back for 15m.

If they did resign him then that meant he done well here. 

Prefer this for half the price than phillips 30m

• Like 4

Â