Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I'm not impressed either. He just isn't physical enough to play the deeper role and is anonymous for most of the game. 

For one or two games, I'd like to see last season's middle three playing in those roles. Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish with Trez wide left, Elmo or Jota wide right and El Ghazi down the middle. If not Hourihane, play Nakamba there. 

• Like 1

Pretty much ranges from mediocre to good in his play. Unfortunately so is Hourihane so we get these games where one plays well and the other crap which makes it seem obvious we should've played one over the other than it reverses by the next game and we're asking ourselves why we played this guy over the guy instead. Still prefer Hourihane if I have to be honest, Hourihane at his best is better than Douglas at his best.

I've been pretty harsh on him, but he is young and there is a player in there. My real issue with him is I only think he works well when we're on top in a game, which is the same as Hourihane, yet they seem to be largely competing for the same position. I favour Hourihane for those games since he has more end-product. We really need another CM who can tackle like Nakamba but pass like Luiz for the large portion of games where we will have a minority of possession. Sadly, those players don't grow on trees. 

On 09/12/2019 at 06:05, AVTuco said:

My biggest disappointment so far this man. I was fooled by the fact that he came from City and that Pep wanted him.

Did Pep want him? Or really want rid of him? Talk is cheap.

I think he's doing OK not pulling up trees but has potential, but 15mil I'm not so sure, lets see where he is in 2-3 years time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I think he's doing OK not pulling up trees but has potential, but 15mil I'm not so sure, lets see where he is in 2-3 years time.

Yep. Talk him up to get someone to buy him.

We may not know where he will be in 2-3 years time, but unless he improves massively, he will not be at City.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Thing with these young players is that they don't cost their actual ability, but their potential. 15million for Douglas doesn't seem so bad considering his potential but there's no confirmation he will get that good although I trust Smith to at least be able to get him to the level of a 15mil player.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've been pretty harsh on him, but he is young and there is a player in there. My real issue with him is I only think he works well when we're on top in a game, which is the same as Hourihane, yet they seem to be largely competing for the same position. I favour Hourihane for those games since he has more end-product. We really need another CM who can tackle like Nakamba but pass like Luiz for the large portion of games where we will have a minority of possession. Sadly, those players don't grow on trees. 

I'm hoping he could be coached into being more aggressive. It's not like Hourihane who is just physically and technically unable to compete. Douglas has the attributes, he just neglects to use them sometimes and retreats into a shell.

I think Luiz is a bit like Conor in the sense that he doesn't really flourish when we don't dominate the ball.

I thought he were excellent against Newcastle. 

What Luiz does best isn't tackling or defending as some may think. But by picking passes and trying to control the tempo of a game.

That's why i think he would be outstanding in Man City. He is perfect in the way that they play.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

21 year old who has had some up and down matches for us. I think Dean is utilizing Luiz mostly correctly. Against the lower teams where we will have position especially at home is where Luiz flourishes. Those are the matches I want him starting. Tougher matches were we won't see the ball as often is prime Nakamba time. 

I think he will be a good player.

Probably our most talented player after Grealish. The question is wether he can turn that talent to be the real deal or not. I think he will. First step is probably to always give 100% in tackles. And realise that he hasn't got as much time in PL as in many other leagues. If he and Nakamba kan adapt to this league we might have a great midfield in a couple of years together with Jack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

We haven't got the balance right in the middle of the park for me. I wouldn't be adverse to getting a Wanyama kind of player, to play alongside DL, with Jack and SJM floating.

We lack a bit of physical presence in the middle of the park imho.

No we don't, but it's not a player quality related issue. The problem is that Deano is playing McGinn too advanced. 

By pulling McGinn deeper he could use the stuff he's actually good at,  while offering better balance and less space between our defence and midfield. We wouldn't by by passed and overrun as much either. 

Â