Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

On 19/11/2019 at 16:33, The Fun Factory said:

I think the problem is that we bought him thinking he is a defensive midfielder but I don't think at present at his stage of his career he has the discipline to play that role.

He definitely has some real ability but it is a question of finding a role for him along with Jack and McGinn without making our midfield seem very lightweight.

I'd rather in the summer we bought an equivalent of a 10 years younger Glenn Whelan with a bit more pace.

He played loads for Girona as DM and even in their back 3 at times. Probably the two long rangers haven't helped in fans thinking he's some sort of attacking midfielder dynamo but to me that's someone like Hourihane or obviously Grealish.

He is clearly a deep midfielder who can move the ball on quickly and has decent positional sense to stop attacks.

I'm actually not really sure where this negativity is coming from as for most of the games he's been o.k. Did fine v Bournemouth and Everton then lost his place to Marvelous for next few weeks and by all accounts had a very good game v Wolves in the cup and then did alright starting v Man. City and Liverpool.

To me just Wolves where he was below par but weren't they all?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He played loads for Girona as DM and even in their back 3 at times. Probably the two long rangers haven't helped in fans thinking he's some sort of attacking midfielder dynamo but to me that's someone like Hourihane or obviously Grealish.

He is clearly a deep midfielder who can move the ball on quickly and has decent positional sense to stop attacks.

I'm actually not really sure where this negativity is coming from as for most of the games he's been o.k. Did fine v Bournemouth and Everton then lost his place to Marvelous for next few weeks and by all accounts had a very good game v Wolves in the cup and then did alright starting v Man. City and Liverpool.

To me just Wolves where he was below par but weren't they all?

Personally, I just don't see him actually contributing all that much to the team. I certainly don't feel we've actually lost much in midfield when we start Hourihane or Nakamba over him. That's  been my view of him since the start, cracking long shot, but he's never really done more than okay for us in midfield.

He's kind of just there a lot which is kind of weird considering how it seems a deep lying midfielder would be good for the balance of our team, retaining posession and getting it up the field in starting attacks. Add to that the amount of times his mistakes have directly lead to goals being conceded. I think he's a talented lad, but I'm not sure he's right for how we play at all. Will probably look much better for a team which has a lot of possession of which he can be the hearbeat of, (see the league cup match against Wolves, a match that he was also directly responsible for our goal conceded. No, it wasn't a stonewall foul.)but unfortunately that's not us in the PL.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

10 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Personally, I just don't see him actually contributing all that much to the team. I certainly don't feel we've actually lost much in midfield when we start Hourihane or Nakamba over him. That's  been my view of him since the start, cracking long shot, but he's never really done more than okay for us in midfield.

He's kind of just there a lot which is kind of weird considering how it seems a deep lying midfielder would be good for the balance of our team, retaining posession and getting it up the field in starting attacks. Add to that the amount of times his mistakes have directly lead to goals being conceded. I think he's a talented lad, but I'm not sure he's right for how we play at all. Will probably look much better for a team which has a lot of possession of which he can be the hearbeat of, (see the league cup match against Wolves, a match that he was also directly responsible for our goal conceded. No, it wasn't a stonewall foul.)but unfortunately that's not us in the PL.

Yes he was at fault for the Wolves goal but plenty on here and elsewhere were still saying he was MOTM so clearly he still played well. Only other mistake I can remember is Bournemouth tbh. Let's remember he also didn't have much of a pre season due to the work permit being sorted.

To me the biggest problem with the team balance is we're playing two out and out wide players who aside from the odd good game and goals haven't contribute anwhere near enough this season.

Our best balance imo was Luiz/Hourihane, Marvelous, McGinn with Jack pushed into the front 3. Was working fine and then Grealish picks up an injury so we go back to the default 4-3-3 setting and look really poor with Wolves.

On 22/11/2019 at 11:53, MickeyC_UTV said:

Is this what people are loosing their SH*T over??

Google Translate - Free day, getting to know Abu Dhabi and having dinner at this beast restaurant!
Too good

The only thing I'm disappointed with (considering it's in Abu Dhabi) is the Steak is the only thing covered in gold......and the plastic straw

Now if that was the remnants of the opposition after a game, I would be happy.

On 20/11/2019 at 03:30, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the Instagram pics just show how young he is. I think sometimes we forget that. 

A few more Brazilian caps and city will get their work permit and he’ll be off in the summer.

Not to get call conspiratorial, but is this why he got a call up?? I didn’t think it made sense he was in the Brazil team, but if it helps work permit matters and Man City have some sway...

Incidentally I like the lad and he clearly has talent, he’s just a bit of a diamond in the rough but I also don’t think he will become good enough for City. 

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Not to get call conspiratorial, but is this why he got a call up?? I didn’t think it made sense he was in the Brazil team, but if it helps work permit matters and Man City have some sway...

Incidentally I like the lad and he clearly has talent, he’s just a bit of a diamond in the rough but I also don’t think he will become good enough for City. 

You’re not alone - the thought had crossed my mind!

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Didn't he play his first couple of games there before Nakamba had a chance and made it his to lose?

He played the "Nakamba" role which is not his game.

I think he need Nakamba alongside him in a 4-2-3-1 for him to work in that sitting role.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Top class today, one mistake in the second half but convinced it was because he didn't get a shout. Dictated the play at times, always in control.

He did well - not up against much in that Newcastle midfield, mind. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He played well but he seems so casual at times. Has bags of quality and potential though. 

Just curious not an attack but when you call Douglas casual is it like a Andrea Pirlo, he plays the game at his pace kind of casual, or is it he looks like he doesn't care enough.  

Â