Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I'm not sure we will ever see the best of him at Villa. He isn't really what we need in our midfield. He clearly has ability and hopefully will develop given time, but I'm not sure he is cut out for Premier League, he certainly isn't physically up to it yet. The defensive side of his game needs a lot of work, he is too easy to get past.

I actually voted him MOTM for us.

Marvelous put in a shift defensively for us, but Luiz won some good contested balls as well, undermined by the more costly and obvious errors, of course.

I thought he was one of the only players to have multiple moments of quality on the ball for us. It's not his fault we lacked chemistry and organisation and nothing came of it.

• Like 1

Was moaned at the time when I said people were getting too hyped up about him because of a game vs Barcelona. Could take him 6-8 months to adapt and its looking that way

Hourihane over him for me, maybe Lansbury be ahead of him too

• Like 1

None of our midfield played well, Nakamba's defensive work was undermined by his constant giving the ball away, McGinn continually overplayed it and gave the ball away, our left backs were terrorised by Adama, on our right no one got tight enough to Doherty, Wesley tried but was wasteful, our wingers were ineffective, and our luck was awful too.

So quite frankly I wouldn't slam Luiz or write him off over this game. People praising Nakamba obviously never noticed how much our passing improved after he went off. People calling for Hourihane are wide of the mark, because Hourihane is way weaker in the tackle than Luiz and not as good with the ball at his feet.

We missed Grealish and Heaton massively yesterday, and Targett and Steer going off certainly didn't help. International break has come at the right time.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I actually voted him MOTM for us.

Marvelous put in a shift defensively for us, but Luiz won some good contested balls as well, undermined by the more costly and obvious errors, of course.

I thought he was one of the only players to have multiple moments of quality on the ball for us. It's not his fault we lacked chemistry and organisation and nothing came of it.

I think there is no doubt he is good on the ball but spends too much time running away from the ball. When McGinn when deeper after Lansbury came on he demanded the ball off the defenders to get us moving forward. 

For me Luiz's game was shown in Wolves second goal. Everyone knows Adama is all pace so either block him off or jump on his back. It's a smart yellow and the fact he didn't do it ended the game for us. 

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was moaned at the time when I said people were getting too hyped up about him because of a game vs Barcelona. Could take him 6-8 months to adapt and its looking that way

Hourihane over him for me, maybe Lansbury be ahead of him too

came on to post basically this

13 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I don't think Luiz is suited to playing a deep midfield role. If he's not playing nearer the attack I wouldn't bother playing him 

He isn't - its another purchase that we didn't really need and funds could have been more wisely invested elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I think there is no doubt he is good on the ball but spends too much time running away from the ball. When McGinn when deeper after Lansbury came on he demanded the ball off the defenders to get us moving forward. 

For me Luiz's game was shown in Wolves second goal. Everyone knows Adama is all pace so either block him off or jump on his back. It's a smart yellow and the fact he didn't do it ended the game for us. 

This is spot on, and also not surprising for a 21 year old with little top level experience.  Most of our players but particularly Luiz, Wesley and Konsa are players who have high potential but need a decent amount of developing.

Both goals were horrendous to concede. The first was plain stupid not to have one person with the intelligence to keep on eye on what Neves was doing. Great finish though. As others have said the second one was too easy for Adama as Luiz bounced off him rather feebly but the most tragic thing were the defenders in the box who were ball watching rather than tracking the inbound attackers!! Screw where the ball is coming from just look up and make sure you are making life difficult for the players trying to score. Awareness and concentration severely lacking. 

6 hours ago, Philosopher said:

So you think you know more about Luiz than Smith, Suso, Pitarch and Guardiola?

There isn't a lot to know is there ? 

We paid a sizeable fee and he isn't producing the goods on a regular basis 

I haven't heard the views of the above on his performances thus far...

Coincidentally we've lost five of the six games in which he's played for 45 minutes or more. In four of those (Bournemouth, Everton, Man City, Wolves) he's played the whole game, and the other two (Palace and Liverpool) he's played for more than seventy minutes.

Â