Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

For me Luiz just doesn't have enough tenacity or urgency for the defensive role. He's too casual on the ball, and doesn't win enough duels. Nakamba is simply better defensive player. I'd play Luiz further up, where his passing would do more direct damage.

56 minutes ago, vreitti said:

For me Luiz just doesn't have enough tenacity or urgency for the defensive role. He's too casual on the ball, and doesn't win enough duels. Nakamba is simply better defensive player. I'd play Luiz further up, where his passing would do more direct damage.

Maybe drop McGinn for a game (rest) and put him in John's position with Nakamba filling in his role? 

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Maybe drop McGinn for a game (rest) and put him in John's position with Nakamba filling in his role? 

Perhaps, against opponents where we can realistically expect to be on the front foot for most of the game, not against Chelsea though.

Think Smith sees him as a player who can help us retain the ball to ease the pressure rather than one who will win the ball back when we are not in possession, it's a chicken or egg first problem for us.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We talk about trying to get the team to bond, then we accept Smith dropping one of the best players we have. Get him in every game!

I'm a fan but he was a bit off it v Man. United. Slow and lost a few 50/50s.

I wouldn't have taken him out though for tonight and pretty sure he'll start on Sunday. Against teams that move the ball really quickly in central midfield like Chelsea and Leicester do, we need him and Nakamba as the central two.

Hourihane struggles with the sheer pace of it all v the top level teams so can't press or win the ball back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I'd potentially start him ahead of McGinn. McGinn needs a rest. Let him miss the weekend and have him firing for the Christmas period

Is McGinn close to 5 yellows at all? Think that will be when he gets his rest although he's obviously way down on his fantastic early season form.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We talk about trying to get the team to bond, then we accept Smith dropping one of the best players we have. Get him in every game!

would have been 3 starts in 9 days plus back from international duty. He wouldnt be used to such time between games

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What is this 'we accept' stuff? The manager doesn't need to run the team by you, or by me either. Nor has Luiz done enough to guarantee a starting spot. I'm happy that he was good when he came on tonight, but he was bobbins against United.

• Like 1

Douglas making an impact as soon as he came on is one positive I'll take from this game. He has to start in front of Nakamba.

He helped plug the gap between DM and ST which opens up when Hourihane is making his driving runs into the left channel and McGinn is pushed up almost parallel to Wesley. Who would I drop? Hourihane can score a perfect hat-trick the game before and I'd still drop him for encounters like we had today against Chelsea, it's not his game at all.

• Like 1

Â