Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Top class today, one mistake in the second half but convinced it was because he didn't get a shout. Dictated the play at times, always in control.

He got 40,000 of them tbf twice and well in advance.

He needs to get up to speed, whether he will be able to play that position against a team who will come to engage I have my doubts tbh. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He needs to get up to speed, whether he will be able to play that position against a team who will come to engage I have my doubts tbh. 

I don't think they take that much notice of exactly what we're shouting from the stands. The other players should've warned him. Which they maybe did.

Iesterday was one of his best games for us so far. I think we have a real gem here if we can develop him and then keep him. Enormous potential.

I like him. He's obviously still adjusting to the league but he is classy on the ball and in his passing.

I would like to see him move the ball on quicker especially when he's near our box - when Newcastle started to press at the start of the second half he was caught out a couple of times. I'd also like to see him try some more ambitious forward passing when he's got space and his head up. It felt like he mostly went for the safe or backwards pass (may have been told to), but with his quality I'd love to see some KDB style diagonal or through balls for our attackers to run onto. There was a period where we struggle a little bit to break down Newcastle and this could have been a different option.

3 hours ago, Pelle said:

I don't think they take that much notice of exactly what we're shouting from the stands. The other players should've warned him. Which they maybe did.

Iesterday was one of his best games for us so far. I think we have a real gem here if we can develop him and then keep him. Enormous potential.

They're bound to - watching on TV I could tell that someone was closing him down before Gayle actually entered the camera view just because of the noise of the crowd. The atmosphere comes across really well on TV - especially for night time matches for some reason.

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

As countless athletes have said you have to tune out the crowd otherwise it distracts you. He needs the call from his teammates and not the fans. 

On 26/11/2019 at 10:09, rodders0223 said:

It was the perfect game for him on Monday, as Newcastle were always going to give us most of the ball, and let him dictate the midfield under little pressure. I'm still to be convinced he is the right choice for games when we are expecting significantly less than 50% possession.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Did he play today? Had to watch on my phone so not sure...

He did play, but he was a bit of a passenger, especially in the second half.

However, I kind of think that even though I prefer Nakamba, maybe selecting Luiz was the right decision, as I think playing Nakamba encourages us to sit too deep, and in the first half at least, we did well at pressing United higher up the pitch.

15 hours ago, poitier said:

He can't impose himself on games where we aren't dominating. I was surprised he didn't get the hook for Nakamba, he was looking very weak in challenges towards the end.

He was terrific against Newcastle, in a game we were dominating.

Anyway i suspect Nakamba will start against Chelsea.  We will need the both of them sharp and ready to play through December and January.

Â