The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

18 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d largely agree, but then again not many of them seem to last more than 1 or 2 tournaments. Since we haven’t won a single thing since 1966, 1 tournament that we actually won would be fine by me. Greece and Denmark have won more than us since 66. 

Which I guess is my point.  I want someone with a philosphy that we can stick with beyond 1 or 2 tournaments. We want a manager that only loses the role because a club has come knocking and offers a wedge to take them off our hands. Obviously you can't always attract that callibre of manager to an international team, but someone making a name for themselves, playing progressive football, that is at a smaller club would fit the bill nicely for me. If it was an ex pro they'd have a better chance of getting the respect from the players too.

Edit: way off topic there, so to bring it back... someone that does the above and incorporates Jack as the player we build the team around. That is what's best for England 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Not at all - I was dismissing his work ethic, not his ability. He was a notoriously bad trainer, by his own admission.

Jack is always in superb physical condition, and really puts in the mileage, week after week. I don't like the comparison between the two players, it does a disservice to Jack's attitude. Jack is far more professional than most of those 90s era players, regardless of the occasional tabloid story.

Le Tiss *should* have been an England great, but it's a myth that this was purely the fault of England managers not recognising his talent. He couldn't be arsed to find out what he was capable of at the highest level.

I heard a certain deity never trained cuz of dodgy knees.  
He was still the best defender that I have seen play.

1 minute ago, Thug said:

I heard a certain deity never trained cuz of dodgy knees.  
He was still the best defender that I have seen play.

Yes and same for Ledley King, who was a fantastic defender.

I'm not sure that's relevant to my point, though, which is that Jack is being unfairly presented as a lazy maverick who needs to have a team built around him. He should be starting for England in whatever system we play, because he can play wide, 10, 8, whatever, and he puts in a shift without fail.

It's very different from Le Tissier, who would have needed accommodating tactically by whichever manager picked him.

Expecting a big performance tomorrow which I feel is a little harsh on Jack.

I outright expect and demand that he be our best player and show everyone what he can do. 

Its his fault, I know he can do it.

On 16/10/2020 at 08:58, John said:

It looked to be working once before, when a 59 year old (it seemed old to me back then;)) ex-Villa manager, took over on a caretaker basis after Sir Alf's sacking and asked the England squad to express themselves naturally. England began to play some nice football again and put a smile on their faces and on ours, but then they appointed Don Revie, rather than that caretaker. 

The Guardian article below, gives a lengthy, but excellent summing up of Joe's spell as caretaker boss and is well worth a read: 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2012/oct/11/forgotten-story-joe-mercer-england-manager

That’s a good article John and draws relevant comparisons to the current England management. However, although  the article doesn’t bracket the achievements of the two managers, I can imagine Southgate excitedly declaring to his wife, “Look darling they’re comparing me to Sir Alf Ramsey now!”  

• Haha 2

I liked having a little read of this article, loved this comment gave me a chuckle but is true at the end. Grealish must be loving how the side is looking now he has got people he can trust and rely on and does not have to carry the weight on is shoulders up front on his own: 

The biggest winner is probably Grealish. Not only has he got a few more quid to spend on hair gel and kids' shinpads, but he now has some genuine attacking quality alongside him.

Article below if want to have a quick read also talks about the transfers:

Something about Watkins and how Smith bought him a fish for house warming, I never knew that.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/let-in-aston-villas-transfer-19116875

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s a good article John and draws relevant comparisons to the current England management. However, although  the article doesn’t bracket the achievements of the two managers, I can imagine Southgate excitedly declaring to his wife, “Look darling they’re comparing me to Sir Alf Ramsey now!”  

"Sit down Gareth and finish your noodle doodles, you know you come out in hives when you get all excited" and don't worry, I have cut all the pictures and articles out of your newspaper of that floppy haired hoodlum you don't like"

• Haha 1

This article makes me unreasonably angry.. 

Gareth Bale: Can Tottenham's front three better Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea & Man Utd?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54506155

Let's make an argument based on the number of chances created by the 'big six' plus Everton and Leicester. Hmmm.. 🤔

Edited by Lichfield Dean
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

This article makes me unreasonably angry.. 

Gareth Bale: Can Tottenham's front three better Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea & Man Utd?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54506155

Let's make an argument based on the number of chances created by the 'big six' plus Everton and Leicester. Hmmm.. 🤔

3 games doesn’t change the fact we were 17th last season tbf. It doesn’t bother me. We will get our time in the spotlight. 

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Now some players may wilt under that pressure but I think Jack will feed and thrive off it. 

I really loved what he had to say to Smith after coming back from the England camp, that he's seen top players working double hard and wants to emulate it. The guy has got such hunger for the game - what on earth is Jack Grealish of two years from now going to look like? He'll be one of the best players in the world and like you say he'll have Southgate to thank for being such a bell end.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Spoony said:

3 games doesn’t change the fact we were 17th last season tbf. It doesn’t bother me. We will get our time in the spotlight. 

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Nah, suits me. The longer we stay under the radar the better. The media jizzfest in 1980-81 was all about Ipswich. We just quietly go about our business. 

Why is everybody being so infuriatingly reasonable! This is the Internet don't you know?!

• Haha 2

Deano on Grealish not getting picked:

'He has just got to maintain his form with Aston Villa. He has made a great start to the season. He has made a great start to his international career and that is what he has to make sure he continues to do. It's Gareth's job to pick the team and Jack has to do as much as he can to get Gareth to pick him.'

Pretty much a condensed version of what Mings said. Wonder if he’ll get the same level of criticism though. 🧐

8 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Pretty much a condensed version of what Mings said. Wonder if he’ll get the same level of criticism though. 🧐

I think the only bit anybody could have a problem with re. Mings was saying to trust Southgate. Obviously we shouldn't trust Southgate because he's a **** useless word removed but I understand why he said that. He needs GS sweet so he gets picked.

Smith is under no such restrictions.

• Like 2

Deano and Mings giving Gareth a lesson on how to answer a question without giving the controversial answer that the reporter is fishing for whilst at the same time not giving details that further down the line will sound like hypocritical bullshit 

• Like 3

Â