The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

16 minutes ago, Paulie said:

commentator was moaning on about how he needs to be more direct, take more shots, thats all bollocks. 

I do not want him to ever second guess what he is thinking.  Appreciate the moments of brilliance.

I think there's some truth in it.

He was good today, but for me it was an 8/10 in the first half and more of a 6.5-7 in the second. There was a big difference in the second half where it seemed to me, he was getting a bit frustrated and trying to do it all. Still a solid performance, and still clearly the best player on the pitch though.

• Like 1

Not even in top gear and we are beating the better teams. 2 of the top 4 already. 

Leicester marked him tightly tonight and a couple of times he was wasteful but he was still influential. That run though into the box and the one two with ross was just nasty. His persistence in pulling Leicester's defence opened the way for ross to find spaces. He's just class.   

19 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think everyone would agree at times today Jack held onto the ball a little too long but nobody could watch that game and not see what a unique talent he is. Well apart from that Beaky knob.

I did have a pop as well.

However he then had that moment where he almost threaded himself through the needle eye of 4 players and into the goal, that's what he can do.

I don't like when he totally ignores Ollie when he is in an open position though.

Having reflected after the game, and whilst he probably won't admit to it, Southgate's comments did get to him, and why wouldn't they? After breaking into the squad and being benched for the following games.

The other big factor tonight was again the lack of protection from the officials. Praet damn near could have ruptured Jack's ACL with a scissor challenge that didn't even result in a booking. He was constantly fouled by Castagne. It would often take four players to get the ball unglued from his feet.

There's not a player I can think of less selfish, throughout the game, he constantly dropped back into space, made space for Barkley and others, not to mention his link up play. Yes, perhaps in the final third, he took one touch too many, and I'm sure Dean and others will discuss that in the post-match analysis.

Another great performance. Leicester had no response aside from fouls.

• Like 2

He had some moments of magic as usual but I wonder if he was trying to do too much at times in an attempt to show he’s a must for the England side? A couple of times it seemed like he was trying to walk it through a packed defence and into the net.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I was wrong to call him poor tonight. My criticism was of his decision making and is a mark of just how good he usually is. That back heel was incredible.

It was more of a "not fully playing at his best" kind of day. I wonder how much of it stemmed from frustration with the ref not giving him calls he so easily gets. 

• Like 1

As a few have said, Jack wasn’t quite on the money tonight. Some great dribbles but he should have passed it sooner a few times rather than take it on. However, we still won and imagine how well we will do when he does click. 

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

It was more of a "not fully playing at his best" kind of day. I wonder how much of it stemmed from frustration with the ref not giving him calls he so easily gets. 

Spot on.. and yet he still danced through their defence to very nearly assist Barkley! We’re lucky to have him.

The only time I thought he was selfish was the 3 vs 2 counter with Ross to his right and Watkins to his left

Normally when he's holding on to the ball or doing something you can see the space and the team mate run that he wants whereas with that play I thought both of the others both did OK with their movement, maybe he wanted them to pull wider and split the defenders more or wanted the defender to step up and they didn't? Either way that was definitely too long 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think everyone would agree at times today Jack held onto the ball a little too long but nobody could watch that game and not see what a unique talent he is. Well apart from that Beaky knob.

Spot on Trent. He is just sublime and an absolute joy to watch. We are a lucky bunch to have him as our Captain. 

• Like 2

Getting a hammering on 5 live after the game. Unbelievable how many people buy into the narrative that he’s just a petulant cheater. He’s been conning refs for 3-4 seasons now but these people know better from their arm chairs obviously, such jealousy.

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The only time I thought he was selfish was the 3 vs 2 counter with Ross to his right and Watkins to his left

Normally when he's holding on to the ball or doing something you can see the space and the team mate run that he wants whereas with that play I thought both of the others both did OK with their movement, maybe he wanted them to pull wider and split the defenders more or wanted the defender to step up and they didn't? Either way that was definitely too long 

It was really good defending. They cut out the passing lanes and didn't get sucked into the ball. Ollie she Barkley could have ran wider too too be fair.

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It was really good defending. They cut out the passing lanes and didn't get sucked into the ball. Ollie she Barkley could have ran wider too too be fair.

Agree, he had a brief window right after his first touch, but the window closed quickly,  and from then never reopened. It was one of those he'd have made work on another day, but wasn't quite at his peak. That said, still a brilliant performance, and didnt seem to be carrying the injury from last week. Wonderful stuff

Edited by MrBlack

Â