The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seemed like very sensible mature answers to me and also suggests that Jack isn’t quite as upset and angry as the fans are about not playing.

Agree. I think most here have forgotten Jack was carrying a knock into the Liverpool game. It's obviously still bothering because that was a pretty bulky wrap he had on his hamstring versus Wales. Gareth did Villa a massive favor keeping Jack on the bench for the last 2 games. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s funny how many inadequate managers didn’t fancy Jack , Remi Garde, Steve Bruce to begin with insisted on playing Onomah instead of him and yes I know Jack was injured beginning of that season but this was after,  and now idiot Gareth Southgate 

Some managers and people don’t respect talents. In other words they fear using the best talents out there. I can’t understand the idea of not having the courage to use what you have. Sometimes when it’s not working with a big player you need to try the unknowns to see what can be done. For Jack case he’s doing exceptional for a team that barely stayed up. It’s not him doing that in another league or so. 
It’s not only about personal things between Jack and Gareth. Most of Gareth concepts are concerning. Most of us remember when Bruce played Jedinak as a defender when he had Tuanzebe who turned out to be a bargain. This kind of managers that feel the fear of changing or giving chances to other players is a big problem. For example one of Smith’s main issues (and gladly it’s the only one which he needs to rethink of it) is not doing changes early. Sometimes you clearly see it not going well, yet it seems that he thinks that it’s easier for him to accept not winning than getting someone who might mess it up and then he regret it. But Smith is a very good managers and he’s learning regularly. Add to that the fact that he gives chances. Although even in that aspect he was very cautious doing that and sometimes it was a bit frustrating.

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Some managers and people don’t respect talents. In other words they fear using the best talents out there. I can’t understand the idea of not having the courage to use what you have. Sometimes when it’s not working with a big player you need to try the unknowns to see what can be done. For Jack case he’s doing exceptional for a team that barely stayed up. It’s not him doing that in another league or so. 
It’s not only about personal things between Jack and Gareth. Most of Gareth concepts are concerning. Most of us remember when Bruce played Jedinak as a defender when he had Tuanzebe who turned out to be a bargain. This kind of managers that feel the fear of changing or giving chances to other players is a big problem. For example one of Smith’s main issues (and gladly it’s the only one which he needs to rethink of it) is not doing changes early. Sometimes you clearly see it not going well, yet it seems that he thinks that it’s easier for him to accept not winning than getting someone who might mess it up and then he regret it. But Smith is a very good managers and he’s learning regularly. Add to that the fact that he gives chances. Although even in that aspect he was very cautious doing that and sometimes it was a bit frustrating.

I think it can be an ego thing to something Smith doesn’t have thankfully the first person everybody thinks of when mentioning Villa is Grealish , and it’s starting to happen with England now, can imagine a-lot of managers not liking that, imagine the headlines if Jack came on late against Denmark and rescued a late point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Depends. If hasn’t spoken to Jack about the situation then yes, his comments maybe come across as quite selfish and just thinking about himself. 

But they’ve always seemed quite close so I can only assume his comments have taken conversations with Jack in to consideration.

Doubt he gets in any future squads until the manager goes, he won't need any excuses when he can call up all his favourites regardless of what Jack does.

Edit... sorry vive I quoted the wrong post.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s funny how many inadequate managers didn’t fancy Jack , Remi Garde, Steve Bruce to begin with insisted on playing Onomah instead of him and yes I know Jack was injured beginning of that season but this was after,  and now idiot Gareth Southgate 

Bruce got a lot wrong - but not Jack’s development.

Grealish flashed under Sherwood, but Bruce was the first manager I remember who made Grealish the centre of his team.

I actually remember people on here scoffing when Bruce used Grealish’s absence (pre-season injury against Watford I think) as an excuse for our poor start to the season. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Grealish flashed under Sherwood, but Bruce was the first manager I remember who made Grealish the centre of his team.

I actually remember people on here scoffing when Bruce used Grealish’s absence (pre-season injury against Watford I think) as an excuse for our poor start to the season. 

I thought the centre of our team was which ever defender that happened to lump it up field for Kodjia to run onto?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I thought the centre of our team was which ever defender that happened to lump it up field for Kodjia to run onto?

Haha. I’m as happy Bruce got sacked/ Dean came in when he did as the next guy - but sometimes I feel Bruce doesn’t get a fair crack on here.

We played some good football in 17/18 (at times), beating Wolves 4-1, Bristol City 5-0, etc.

In my opinion that’s the first season Grealish was consistently great. Obviously he was fantastic in the FA Cup semi vs. Liverpool two seasons before.

The original post I replied to laments Garde and Bruce for ignoring Grealish - what about RDM? Bruce was instrumental to Jack staying and developing at Villa in my opinion. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Yes he was forced to in the end because Jack was coming off the bench and performing, it took while for the penny to drop at how good the actually was.

58 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Probably because Bruce left him on the bench and took him off for around half of the games the year before.

He was doing his usual scrambling round looking for anything to blame for him being a terrible manager.

Jack Grealish was going to the top with or without Steve Bruce.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You know I’m not totally sure about that. I do think Bruce and Terry helped him grow up a bit. Maybe it would have happened anyway.

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Sherwood saw  it 

Sherwood is a good man manager he just can't consistently set a path to succeed. I think he would be a very good assistant manager as he can get your lads up for it as long as the tactical burden isn't on him. 

14 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Sherwood is a good man manager he just can't consistently set a path to succeed. I think he would be a very good assistant manager as he can get your lads up for it as long as the tactical burden isn't on him. 

Or a no1 with a good team o coaches around him

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Probably because Bruce left him on the bench and took him off for around half of the games the year before.

He was doing his usual scrambling round looking for anything to blame for him being a terrible manager.

He’s not a terrible manager though, is he. He’s an average one and the narrative he’s “terrible” is accentuated because he’s dull, Northern and his teams play an uninspiring brand of football.

Rafa was hailed as a genius for keeping that Newcastle team up, Bruce beat his points total.

Anyway back to Jack, I definitely don’t think Bruce helped develop him technically or improve his talent. However, I do think Jack benefited from Bruce’s discipline, from him bringing JT in (and making them room together) and the opportunity provided in a team built around him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

He was asked if Jack would need an arm round his shoulder after not playing and said:

“It is easy to talk about players that aren’t playing and that does a disservice to the people who are playing. We are playing at the elite level and people have to bide their time, like I do, I’m trying to get into the team as well. Everybody is competing for places and I think that makes for a healthy group – Jack is a fantastic player, we all know that, we know what he can bring to the group. But I think you have to trust in the squad, trust the manager that different players will be utilised at different times. Jack is fine, Jack is a great lad and everyone in their career will have times when they are on the bench and out of the team – that is just something you go through so Jack won’t require an arm round the shoulder I’m sure.”

Just a very simple answer from someone who, unlike us lot, is actually good mates with Jack Grealish so probably has more insight into his feelings. Not sure why it upset anyone.

It’s the fact that Southgate is taking it personal. It’s the fact that people are losing faith on him and his tactics. It’s not only about Jack himself, It’s not about making him happy. The team is missing a lot without him. 
I’m not an English and it’s not my national team anyway, but I like England as a country and people, I have a lot of friends (Villa or others), I always wish them well. At to that the fact I support Villa and having players in that England team. I want them to take the right decisions. Mings is right about talking badly about other players, it makes the environment worse, but it’s Southgate fault from the very beginning. He’s the one that keeps mentioning Grealish and maybe will ask him to get birds milk to make him start games (thats something we say in Arabic when you want something impossible).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I do think Jack benefited from Bruce’s discipline, from him bringing JT in (and making them room together) and the opportunity provided in a team built around him.

Didn't know he roomed with Terry, was that reported at the time?

I agree, having a winner like Terry around would help everyone I'd imagine.

I think there are various reasons why people are turning on Gary, and from different standpoints.

Firstly you have England fans. Watching turgid robotic football, lacking a creative flamboyant player to inspire the nation before the Euros and into that tournament.  

Then you have Villa fans, listening to a bang average(at best) National coach, insinuating that the most creative, dynamic, flamboyant and one of the hardest working individuals in the Prem, is somehow beneath a cluttering of shite currently occupying the National set up. That a player and captain, instrumental in the resurgence of one of the worlds grandest clubs over the last 3 years is somehow not ready to play in a poor national team, devoid of his type of talents. It's not only laughable but infuriating also. 

Mings said nothing wrong at all but I don't think that isn't the issue. Personally I don't have any judgement on Jack being on the bench or not. From a Villa point of view it's not really concerning. What is though, and what I believe pisses Villa fans off, is Gary continually playing Jack down and treating him like a second rate player. Especially when he contradicts himself and noshes everyone else off in the process. He's acting like a d***head. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Slightly dismissive of MLS's ability there. He was an unbelievable footballer and I bet a lot of saints fans will tell you Jack isn't anywhere close. 

I agree Jack is exceptional, but lets not talk down players like Le Tiss. 

Not at all - I was dismissing his work ethic, not his ability. He was a notoriously bad trainer, by his own admission.

Jack is always in superb physical condition, and really puts in the mileage, week after week. I don't like the comparison between the two players, it does a disservice to Jack's attitude. Jack is far more professional than most of those 90s era players, regardless of the occasional tabloid story.

Le Tiss *should* have been an England great, but it's a myth that this was purely the fault of England managers not recognising his talent. He couldn't be arsed to find out what he was capable of at the highest level.

• Like 2

Â