Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

38 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It seemed like that with the timing and ESR fits the mould.  

Jack confirmed he wanted to leave on Monday, I don't see how ESR, Buendia or Bailey related to Jack leaving to be honest.  Ings is the first signing with the Grealish money.  

Now he has gone though we can probably bring in another 4 or 5  x  30m players over the next three years and more if we sell a few fringe players like El Ghazi, Wesley and maybe Luiz.

9 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Jack confirmed he wanted to leave on Monday, I don't see how ESR, Buendia or Bailey related to Jack leaving to be honest.  Ings is the first signing with the Grealish money.  

Now he has gone though we can probably bring in another 4 or 5  x  30m players over the next three years and more if we sell a few fringe players like El Ghazi, Wesley and maybe Luiz.

Purslow said there had been ongoing interest and offers that were not entertained as they were below the release clause.  I'm glad they were proactive in planning for him to go especially as the player was pushing for a move.   This all sounded quite inevitable to the villa board from the sound of it.

Not saying its our last signing either - they might address areas on the pitch nothing to do with replacing thingy

9 minutes ago, grobs said:

Today at work is going to be rancid. Hopefully don Lange can get a few rumours flowing to distract me 

It stings a bit inside at present but smirk to all and just say that the £100m softens the blow. 

Just now, PieFacE said:

I still think we'll go in for Cantwell even with what Purslow said y'day. 

I'd guess we will sign...

- Cantwell
- JWP (or a player in a similar position)
- Tuanzebe

Yep, can see those three being in our squad before the window slams shut. 

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I still think we'll go in for Cantwell even with what Purslow said y'day. 

I'd guess we will sign...

- Cantwell
- JWP (or a player in a similar position)
- Tuanzebe

My take on what Pursolw said is the 3 players bought in were to replace Jack for his 3 key attributes, so i dont think our business is done.

36 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Disagree. When we signed Buendia it started to make me think Jack might be off, though I put that down to a bit of pessimism. But when we were in for ESR, that’s when I started to fear the worst, and as soon as that deal was dead, we immediately turned to Bailey and I was pretty certain he was going.

I reckon a lot of us knew deep down, but we just didn’t want to believe it could be true.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He played 25 matches for us in 2018/19 in The Championship, I thought he was great for us and played a big role in getting us promoted. There is lots of competition for places at Man United, he won’t get first team football there but he can challenge Konsa here in my opinion and they can bring the best out of each other 

Also both axel and konsa can play right back if needed. I thought konsa played really well there at the end of last season 

• Like 1

Just now, punkiller1981 said:

Also both axel and konsa can play right back if needed. I thought konsa played really well there at the end of last season 

Agreed, versatility is such a big part of the modern game. If we do sign Tuanzebe, Konsa and him can challenge each other and bring the best out of each other

So far I'm not impressed,  we haven't strengthened our major weakness,  the midfield. I know we are rumoured to be in for Prowse but we need a really good proven defensive midfielder if we don't then the same problems we had last season will materialise.  Teams will cut straight through us. 

• Like 3

One positive of the snake leaving is the fact that we hopefully won't be so reliant on one man anymore. I think we relied to heavily on the snake last year and it showed when he was injured. Hopefully the signings give us more options and allows other midfielders to shine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

So far I'm not impressed,  we haven't strengthened our major weakness,  the midfield. I know we are rumoured to be in for Prowse but we need a really good proven defensive midfielder if we don't then the same problems we had last season will materialise.  Teams will cut straight through us. 

I am impressed, but agree that the defensive mid is absolutely critical.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Exactly. That's 64 games in 3 seasons he's been unavailable for from 4 different lower body injuries

Wow ! Didn’t realise it was that bad ! Maybe one to swerve 

39 minutes ago, tinker said:

I’m impressed with the players we have got in to replace Grealish but completely agree regarding  the midfield. It offered no protection to the defence last season. We need a proper DM not a hybrid version. I can’t watch Douglas Luiz get out muscled in every game again. 

Edited by WHY

I think if we have the chance to improve our midfield with the Grealish money we absolutely should.

I’ve not seen enough of Sanson but I don’t really see how any combination of McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba would be good enough for a team that wants to challenge for Europe.

It is by far our weakest area when you compare it to our attacking options, which I would argue any one of Buendia, Bailey, Watkins and Ings would not look out of place at a top 6 team.

Get another leader in the midfield, whether it’s Ward-Prowse or someone else, and I think it will improve the likes of McGinn and the rest, making us even stronger.

1 hour ago, MJ_1874 said:

Yeah Ings in because Jack said he wanted to go. A proven player who will have immediate impact. We need a central midfielder as that is now the weakest area on the pitch but we have signed Sanson so that will hopefully improve us in that area. I still feel a signing we know is better than what we have like JWP or Bissouma is the area to strengthen in a record signing. If it can't be done then we wait for next summer.

Next summer we need outgoings of Davis, Wesley, Guilbert, El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Nakamba or maybe Luiz. We replace them some of our youngsters stepping up like JPB, Chuckwuemeka, Kaine Kessler, Aaron Ramsey, Louie Barry. We then add a new Left back, central midfielder, wide forward and centre back.

We're then in business, we'll have a squad that's as good as any team bar the top 4

I still think we're looking at three more players based on who we've already had bids rejected for, but seems we are done with attacking options based on Purslows comments. I fully expect Tuanzebe to come in for the 4th centre back spot, and we will probably bring in another keeper so Sinisalo can be loaned out and continue his development. But neither of those will be for huge sums so it leaves us with a lot of financial freedom now to look at a midfielder. It's definitely the weakest area of the squad, and Dean clearly wants to address it with the bid for Ward-Prowse. I've no idea who we will get for this spot, but I'd love it if it was a Danny Ings style signing both in terms of profile and secrecy. That's the position where the big bucks need spending.

• Like 3