Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

It will be interesting to see where we go from here. I'm sure many fans are going to demand we spend another £80m-£100m, but we have to be smart.

A few short weeks ago we have an U23 team which meant we were going to take over the world. Are they now shit? 
For me, Chuk and JPB look ready now, and this next year is going to be a crucial step for Kessler, Young, Barry, Bogarde and a few others. 

If they are going to be as good as we all hope, then a loan or 2 might just save us a fortune and give them a clear pathway (i.e. Axel for a year to give Bogarde a year on loan).

We have plenty of options at 10 (Buendia, McGinn, Bailey, Chuck) - why would we go and spend £40m on Cantwell unless we think he is the second coming, and block Chuk's progress? 

For me - we need a CB (Axel on loan); a CDM; and a good second choice keeper (Steer didn't look good enough for me in the friendly's). The only 1 I'd spend good money on the the CDM, meaning we have plenty of money over the next 12 months if we need to go big on someone.

• Like 4

Just now, bobzy said:

Highest save percentage in the Premier League (74.6%), whilst facing the 4th most shots (189).

Fantastic keeper.

This answers @Made In Aston question. This was down to the pressure the MF and partly Barkley and Bertie being slack at helping out. Plug the gap and we become a different proposition. 

41 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

We had a great defensive record last season. You think that was just down to the 5 at the back?! 

Yes I do, only one GK made more saves in the whole league than Martinez, this is a horrible stat. Without Martinez and some great defending we wouldn’t have got more than 4/5 clean sheets imo.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Highest save percentage in the Premier League (74.6%), whilst facing the 4th most shots (189).

Fantastic keeper.

As good as Emi is, that last stat should be ringing alarm bells. Our defence needs better protection. We have to get that number down if we want to move on.

• Like 2

Still holding out hope we could nick Anel Ahmedhodžić (CB) from under Atalanta but I guess that ship has sailed now that they are selling Cristian Romero.

Might have been tricky with regards to WP anyway since he's Swedish/Bosnian playing in Sweden. But he is a full international for Bosnia and Malmö FF have been playing regularly in Europe so that might be enough.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

It will be interesting to see where we go from here. I'm sure many fans are going to demand we spend another £80m-£100m, but we have to be smart.

A few short weeks ago we have an U23 team which meant we were going to take over the world. Are they now shit? 
For me, Chuk and JPB look ready now, and this next year is going to be a crucial step for Kessler, Young, Barry, Bogarde and a few others. 

If they are going to be as good as we all hope, then a loan or 2 might just save us a fortune and give them a clear pathway (i.e. Axel for a year to give Bogarde a year on loan).

We have plenty of options at 10 (Buendia, McGinn, Bailey, Chuck) - why would we go and spend £40m on Cantwell unless we think he is the second coming, and block Chuk's progress? 

For me - we need a CB (Axel on loan); a CDM; and a good second choice keeper (Steer didn't look good enough for me in the friendly's). The only 1 I'd spend good money on the the CDM, meaning we have plenty of money over the next 12 months if we need to go big on someone.

A lot of the FA youth cup are 17 or 18. I don't think any of them are ready for a full season.

Don't forget the prem attracts elite players from around the world. Exciting as that U23 team is only 1 maybe 2 will cut it in the prem.

Just now, YouUnastanFren said:

I think you have misunderstood. We would be replacing Lovren with Marquinhos. Or are you dead set on keeping Lovren in the role of random CB we haven't signed?

To be fair, Maldini is only 53 and could still do a job

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Still holding out hope we could nick Anel Ahmedhodžić (CB) from under Atalanta but I guess that ship has sailed now that they are selling Cristian Romero.

Might have been tricky with regards to WP anyway since he's Swedish/Bosnian playing in Sweden. But he is a full international for Bosnia and Malmö FF have been playing regularly in Europe so that might be enough.

Is he going to sit on bench behind Mings and Konsa because we're looking for cover not 1st XI CB

14 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

As good as Emi is, that last stat should be ringing alarm bells. Our defence needs better protection. We have to get that number down if we want to move on.

Buendia and Ings already improve our defence from the front

• Like 4

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Is he going to sit on bench behind Mings and Konsa because we're looking for cover not 1st XI CB

Yeah, he only turned 22 this year but is already pretty experienced. Think he'll develop at lot when he moves away from Sweden and can see him becoming a really good player at the right club given time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Buendia and Ings already improve our defence from the front

Fair point. Just hope it’s enough. It just feels light in DM for me. Did all last year, and it was the one position where I felt that an upgrade was critical.

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Only lost 2 of 11 games Traore played when Barkley was out. Barkley was the problem

Thought as much stats wise but in game it felt that he could do more but its such a hard balance to find with his other atributes. Work a bit hard, better decision making and and he will give Leon a run for his money, which is exactly what we need.

3 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

feel theres a bit of direspect on Bertie's name in these discussions about forward options. I reckon he will be better this year and he has all the potential to be brilliant for us. Yes he's mad as a box of frogs but most of the highlights of last season came from Bertie and i honestly believe that Jack leaving will spread the play a bit more, allow us to flow a bit more and maybe allow other players to express themselves better.

I'm all on team Bertie and would take him over Cantwell who I frankly dont get the hype around

Completely agree. He will play his part, as he certainly did last season.