Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

feel theres a bit of direspect on Bertie's name in these discussions about forward options. I reckon he will be better this year and he has all the potential to be brilliant for us. Yes he's mad as a box of frogs but most of the highlights of last season came from Bertie and i honestly believe that Jack leaving will spread the play a bit more, allow us to flow a bit more and maybe allow other players to express themselves better.

I'm all on team Bertie and would take him over Cantwell who I frankly dont get the hype around

If Ings plays as SS, Bertie could come into play covering this position too - his success abroad as a "striker" was as SS I think.

He got better defensively as the season went on IMO also

Bertie in attacking output is excellent. He's got more goals and assists than his xG and xA so it shows he scores and creates more than expected from the chances he's had. This was his first season with us too. His defensive work isn't up to the level required to be our regular right forward like Baily can be. But for sure off the bench he gives proven attacking threat.

Say we line up Baily Watkins Buendia in front three for a game. We bring on Ings and Traore and we've massive goal threat off the bench there. 

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Bertie in attacking output is excellent. He's got more goals and assists than his xG and xA so it shows he scores and creates more than expected from the chances he's had. This was his first season with us too. His defensive work isn't up to the level required to be our regular right forward like Baily can be. But for sure off the bench he gives proven attacking threat.

Say we line up Baily Watkins Buendia in front three for a game. We bring on Ings and Traore and we've massive goal threat off the bench there. 

Traore scored against top teams as well. Bailey defensive stats aren't great btw. In some areas as bad or worse than Traore

This notion that wingers and attackers should also double as defensive wing backs is horse poop, you don't see Salah and Mane tracking back much and defending in their own box yet no one criticises them for it.

Just like no one seemed to criticise Grealish for not tracking back or ever tackling, and i'm not saying he should just saying we seem to think Anwar and Traore are not good enough because they don't defend well enough. Bored of the same attacks on our own players.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

This notion that wingers and attackers should also double as defensive wing backs is horse poop, you don't see Salah and Mane tracking back much and defending in their own box yet no one criticises them for it.

Just like no one seemed to criticise Grealish for not tracking back or ever tackling, and i'm not saying he should just saying we seem to think Anwar and Traore are not good enough because they don't defend well enough. Bored of the same attacks on our own players.

In my 8 a side team I'm "managing" while recovering from broken leg I'm always yelling at whoever's playing up front for dropping too deep trying to tackle someone else's man and being out of position when the ball breaks for us

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

They forget to mention we need a DM and Tuanzebe 🙄

Well, you can't expect them to have the insight into our squad that we do. Are you really saying we don't need a CDM and more than 3 centre backs?

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think you need to improve your understanding of what defending means in the Premier League

Just now, Mazrim said:

Well, you can't expect them to have the insight into our squad that we do. Are you really saying we don't need a CDM and more than 3 centre backs?

I said Tuanzebe not a CB which we do need but not one with 3 long term injuries the last 2 seasons and no I don't have obsession with getting a CDM as Nakamba is good enough considering Smith doesn't favour using one. Would rather likes of JWP than another CDM

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

They forget to mention we need a DM and Tuanzebe 🙄

Yes very true, especially Luis. Will be watching him tmr against Spain for the Olympic Gold. Probably need another month of rest before playing for us.. 

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I agree to a point, but as I'm sure you know you have to defend as a team, meaning everybody has to contribute. It's those contributions that are often questioned. I'd be paying more to the pressing stats now Grealish has gone, I think Smith is going to focus more on winning the ball higher up the pitch, Buendia and Ings will both compliment Ollie very well in this regard, where it felt like Ollie was a one man press at times last season.

It's going to be interesting to see what we do with the midfield for the remainder of this window and how that may support a more press based set up.

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Tuanzebe would be a welcome addition.

Interesting to see who else we are trying to line up..

#Announce Messi.

Have you watched him since he left. 47 games unavailable from 3 different injuries last 2 seasons. Made of glass

I like the idea of getting Tuanzebe in as the extra body needed at the back for minimum outlay.  Mings are Konsa never gonna be ousted as first choice.  Leaves us more able to drop a big sum on a midfielder.

15 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

For me with Bertie it was more about self inflicted issues and positional awareness when we were under pressure ie not cutting off angles or being oop to make it easy for the man pressuring cash to pick out an easy option to set them up for a dangerous attempt on goal.

It's not like he doesn't know this too because you could see him on it in some games.

As i said earlier though its a very fine line to find the right balance between adding that little extra to being a team player and having individual moments of brilliance. Something that comes natural to Buendia for example. 

• Like 2