Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, Made In Aston said:

We had a great defensive record last season. You think that was just down to the 5 at the back?! 

Didn’t Martinez make the most saves of any PL keeper last season? He played a huge part last season.

I felt that last season we failed to control certain games and lacked a level of composure in midfield. Just my view though.

• Like 2

I think I’m now a bit torn on the DCM rope as originally I wanted a better version of Nakamba. 

Now though, with the cash we have, we could get a better version of Luiz. 

For me it’s Sanson or McGinn one side of the two (in a 4231), with the new version of Luiz alongside.

In an ideal world we’ve have a better version of Nakamba AND Luiz come in, which would mean we have a load of options shape wise but admit that’s a bit of a stretch.

A midfield two of Sanson/McGinn and say Locatelli would not IMHO get cut apart. 

Plus CB cover and another forward option (Kamada, etc)

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

We had a great defensive record last season. You think that was just down to the 5 at the back?! 

Mostly, yes. Our midfield was waltzed through too often and it cost us points. Just that improvement, a competent, dynamic, tenacious and mobile CDM could see us improve several league positions.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Emi Martinez.

Our defence was good too with many blocks but the midfield were very poor especially at defending, time and time again the opposition played through the middle with ease!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Knutserov13 said:

The perfect end to the transfer window IMO:

IN: Tuanzebe, JWP or Bissouma, Kamada and a random second/third choice GK.

OUT: Hourihane (sell), AEG (sell), Guilbert (sell), Ramsey brothers (loan), Brad Young (loan), Wesley (loan)

Bissouma would be an incredible signing.

18 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It wasn't far off. MF was our weak linkast year for me for a combination of reasons. SJM passing inadequate. Dougie thinks he has too much time on the ball. Both set up attacks for the opposition too often, the back were overworked and were awesome for the most part.

With a better MF we improve quite a bit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

It wasn't far off. MF was our weak linkast year for me for a combination of reasons. SJM passing inadequate. Dougie thinks he has too much time on the ball. Both set up attacks for the opposition too often, the back were overworked and were awesome for the most part.

With a better MF we improve quite a bit.

I agree that a sharp passer who can retain possession wouldn't go a miss, but I don't think it's needed specifically for supporting the defence (although it would be a natural bi-product to some degree) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I think it was mostly down to Martinez.

Stats show he was one of the most exposed keepers in the prem.

• Like 1

Just now, Made In Aston said:

I agree that a sharp passer who can retain possession wouldn't go a miss, but I don't think it's needed specifically for supporting the defence (although it would be a natural bi-product to some degree) 

Yes and I feel that the defense will take advantage of of us keeping possession better and become more integral in starting attacks with a quality MF.

33 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

No I think it was down to Martinez. He was nearly motm every game.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think it was mostly down to Martinez.

Stats show he was one of the most exposed keepers in the prem.

Highest save percentage in the Premier League (74.6%), whilst facing the 4th most shots (189).

Fantastic keeper.

• Like 1