Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I'm hoping for a couple of £40m + signings to go straight into the first team.

Then a couple of £20m players - to be better options of the bench.

Disclaimer:- I know a big fee doesn't guarantee form. But more £20m Sansom/Traroe types will likely produce more of the same.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Disclaimer:- I know a big fee doesn't guarantee form. But more £20m Sansom/Traroe types will likely produce more of the same.

Expect to be disappointed 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

He started 5 games at ACM we won 2 (Brom & Palace) draw 2 (Burnley & Chelsea) and lost 1 Manure. Not our best stretch of results or our best performances.

The issue will be the same wherever we play him and it will be solved by bringing better players in so that out opponents cant focus on just Grealish. If we play him centrally then our opponents are going to close him down there instead. As long as Grealish is our only creative outlet the problem will remain the same.

I think it’s more both wingers starting scoring, Grealish wasn’t responsible for all the assists but he creates space for others and in the middle everyone gets drawn in.

Must admit after watching the Man City game I'm quite deflated and I really wonder where the owners are with this project.

Again, Villa are Light Years away and it would take massive investment year in year out to get even close.

I echo the sentiments of others we really need to sign a higher calibre of player around the £40 - £50million range. Our possession is really awful and at times many of them are scared of the ball and cannot wait to get rid of it.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Agreed. These 10-20m types from abroad just don’t seem to be cutting it. Nakamba, Engels, Trezeguet, Traore, Sanson etc. They should all be squad players at best.

What we need in the Summer is two or three 30-40m players to slot straight into the first team, otherwise we’ll be chopping and changing again all next season trying to find the right combination in each department. 

Im not saying you can’t find brilliant players abroad, but at what point does it become obvious that our best and most effective signings are the domestic ones or players already playing in this country. Konsa, Targett, Watkins, Martinez etc.

This summer is massive. 

If villa fans are hoping for a top 6 push next year, then the ovrrhaul of the squad needs to be much bigger than suggested. 

We need : 1 striker, 2 wingers, 1 no. 10, 1 cm, 1 dcm, 1 left back, 1 cb.

All this would cost approx 170- 200 mill. 

We wont spend that this summer.

That also doesnt take into account potential flops. 

Next summer will be consolidating midyable, pushing for top 10. Thats if we keep jack

17 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Must admit after watching the Man City game I'm quite deflated and I really wonder where the owners are with this project.

Again, Villa are Light Years away and it would take massive investment year in year out to get even close.

I echo the sentiments of others we really need to sign a higher calibre of player around the £40 - £50million range. Our possession is really awful and at times many of them are scared of the ball and cannot wait to get rid of it.

I agree. I find it incredible that to sign a player who can pass the ball well, it'll cost 40 mill. Shouldnt all professionals be able to do that

8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I agree. I find it incredible that to sign a player who can pass the ball well, it'll cost 40 mill. Shouldnt all professionals be able to do that

Thing is that most of the passes the City, or Bayern, or PSG... players does are not that difficult. It's the movement and ball control from them and their teammates that lets them have more time on the ball and more easy options to pass the ball to.

Even the best players in the world would find it difficult to pick out a pass if there is no intelligent movement around them and with Grealish out we lack our only player who can create space for himself while also having the vision to pick out his teammates with his next move.

• Like 1

Should use our South American links - Emi in the Argentina squad, Luiz & Wesley for Brazil - to help entice some proper talent to come to Villa. It’s clear to see that we are on the up and have ambitions to be a top club. 

Try to convince the likes of De Paul, Buendia (Ocampos? Correa? Tagliafico?),  Everton Soares, Cunha, Gabriel Barbosa and co. that we are the ideal next step in their careers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, useless said:

Apparently Bordeaux have gone into administration. I wonder if they've got any players we could look at. Percy said recently that we will probably look to take advantage of the financial instability surrounding clubs in Ligue 1, like we did in January with Sanson.

Maja's only on loan at Fulham isn't he? As a backup to Ollie I wouldn't be totally against that as he's scored 4-5 goals I think since joining in January. Don't think he's anywhere near ready to be starter for even mid table prem team but depends what we're looking for from a striker in terms of fitting into the squad, he probably fits into our profile given his age and he's already got good level of top flight experience.

Sevilla signed Jules Kounde from Bordeaux two years back so that sort of club is worth a look in terms of what they have in the squad. Mind you looks like a French squad from 2012 with Ben Arfa, Laurent Koscienly and Jimmy Briand all playing for them and combined age of nearly 100!

Is Yacine Adli rated? Only 20, they signed him from PSG and he's made 50 odd appearances for them and played for France at all youth levels. Attacking midfielder so could be sort of Grealish backup we train up to eventually take over.

Edited by VillaChris

We need to sign players that don't need Grealish to make them play well. In a way it's a blessing in disguise that he's injured (don't shoot me) because it is highlighting just how far off the desired standard some of our players are. Imagine Grealish being fit all this season, making Barkley look better than he is, and we spend £30m on him in the summer and give him a huge contract. As soon as Grealish isn't in the team we've got a £30m player that is not good enough without our star player.

Get players in that can make a difference on their own and we'll be fine. We have one game changer in the squad, and he drags so many players up to a higher standard. Big risk as we're seeing now that he's not in the team.

Edited by jacketspuds
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed. These 10-20m types from abroad just don’t seem to be cutting it. Nakamba, Engels, Trezeguet, Traore, Sanson etc. They should all be squad players at best.

What we need in the Summer is two or three 30-40m players to slot straight into the first team, otherwise we’ll be chopping and changing again all next season trying to find the right combination in each department. 

Im not saying you can’t find brilliant players abroad, but at what point does it become obvious that our best and most effective signings are the domestic ones or players already playing in this country. Konsa, Targett, Watkins, Martinez etc.

This summer is massive. 

Not sure about your first comment.

Naka, Trez, El Ghazi, Engels, Samatta were all under £10mil, I think that is basement type stuff nowadays. That's what we've got to stay away from...and I think we will as we don't need numbers, just quality.

Luiz, Konsa, Cash, Martinez, Targett are the £10-£20 bracket and I think have done quite well.

Troare and Sanson fall in there as well but Troare has had a decent enough contribution for his first season and Sanson is still early into it.

I'm with you on the second bit though. Sign a few players in key position for a decent fee. Home based players seem more effective...but may have £20m added on top so abroad may be more economical.

• Like 1

Correct me if this is wrong but Sanson was thought of as 25-30M player who we got at a massive discount. If we’d paid the full whack I wonder if people would be giving him more time & slack to actually settle in before deciding he’s no good? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am confused by all of the negativity in regards to Sanson.

Most players need a season to adjust to the PL. He's been here 4 months.

Secondly, and I really mean this. I think he's been fairly decent whenever I've seen him play.

like Sanson me.

Well said. He has also come into a team struggling for any kind of form. Stick Bissouma behind him and Dougie and we will see a world of difference.