Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

For me we absolutely need some physicality in midfield in front of the defence. Somebody in the mould of Zakaria/Kondogbia, to line up alongside one of McGinn or Luiz instead of using them both. After that, pace out wide would be my next priority, followed by a number 10/tricky type who is comfortable on the ball and in possession in tight areas to alleviate some of the pressure off Jack. Buendia is often touted and I think he'd be ideal, although not sure how much he'd cost now that Norwich are on their way back up. 

In terms of pacey wide players, I think we could do worse than look at clubs just outside of that top European bracket, like the top 3 in Portugal or Lyon/Monchengladbach etc type of clubs. We could probably offer decent, competitive wages to their kinds of players with a 3rd successive year of prem money further alleviating FFP constraints.

26 minutes ago, wict01 said:

In terms of pacey wide players, I think we could do worse than look at clubs just outside of that top European bracket, like the top 3 in Portugal or Lyon/Monchengladbach etc type of clubs. We could probably offer decent, competitive wages to their kinds of players with a 3rd successive year of prem money further alleviating FFP constraints.

We got one from Lyon last sumner 😉

Seen Connor Gallagher mentioned a number of times on this forum. So, when watching West Brom of late, have taken more notice of him. And certainly did last night. 

Not for me, nowhere near what we need. He's a headless chicken who, because he sprints into things and tries to tackle 'hard', either sells himself and dives in or gives a free kick away. Hes a liability. Gives the ball away alot too. 

We need MUCH better than him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Seen Connor Gallagher mentioned a number of times on this forum. So, when watching West Brom of late, have taken more notice of him. And certainly did last night. 

Not for me, nowhere near what we need. He's a headless chicken who, because he sprints into things and tries to tackle 'hard', either sells himself and dives in or gives a free kick away. Hes a liability. Gives the ball away alot too. 

We need MUCH better than him.

He did o.k for them under bilic, scored a few goals. Can't help thinking though Big Sam had exactly the right idea weeding him, Jake Livermore and Sawyers out of starting 11, they've just run out of games for it to make significant difference.

Typical VT in suggesting we sign half of a relegated team though, I'm guilty of it aswell suggesting their right back but he would be just low cost back up.

2 hours ago, osmark86 said:

How are we on blocks? I know Mings has had a ton this season.

Pretty sure it's because we lose the midfield battle way too often, so I think we need better protection there. Should be a priority in the summer imo.

It's something that could be sorted right now though, it doesn't need signings, we can have more body's in the middle of the park by bringing two Wingers closer to the center. We have two player out so wide they hardly see the game compared to the rest. Smith needs to change it as I said in a previous post we are not Liverpool and we can't make it work yet.

Imagine having two extra body's in the center, that midfield would work way better. 4-3-3 has a major flaw that if your wingers can't keep the ball and up the opposite end that you will get overrun on the rest of the field. We keep trying to pass the ball about but as soon as our Wingers end up with it, the ball is lost in the final third.

The midfield battle is lost  easy because we are overloaded often there and were relying on three players to sort it out when we could in fact be relying on four or five.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

It's something that could be sorted right now though, it doesn't need signings, we can have more body's in the middle of the park by bringing two Wingers closer to the center. We have two player out so wide they hardly see the game compared to the rest. Smith needs to change it as I said in a previous post we are not Liverpool and we can't make it work yet.

Imagine having two extra body's in the center, that midfield would work way better. 4-3-3 has a major flaw that if your wingers can't keep the ball and up the opposite end that you will get overrun on the rest of the field. We keep trying to pass the ball about but as soon as our Wingers end up with it, the ball is lost in the final third.

The midfield battle is lost  easy because we are overloaded often there and were relying on three players to sort it out when we could in fact be relying on four or five.

Good points Dave

• Thanks 1

This is the most interesting of transfer windows I can ever think of us having coming up this summer. As much as there's a lot of good players that get suggested in this thread I think a lot of them also aren't up to the requisite standard if the expectation is for us to really make a realistic push for European qualification. Hard to pinpoint many realistic signings in that sense as there's so much that has to go your way (as well as a lot of your money going out), but one thing I don't doubt is that whether they work out or not I expect us to be very ambitious when it comes to targeting signings.

• Like 1

We need more pace, particularly out wide. Our centre backs are faster than our wingers ffs

You are severly limited as a team if you have no ability to attack to the outside

Could do with it in the middle as well. No one really dribbles with it at the opposition; in his limited appearances Sanson has at least tried to do it, but jury still out on him

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

Can definitely see the merits of checking out his situation over the summer and buying him

I said yesterday he would really west Brom alot before the game even started. We had to keep him quiet and we failed and he got them going n going.

He's a good player and he's that type of player that motivates players. Other players see his moves and they thrive off him and rally to start kicking ass.

Edited by Dave-R

These would be some of my choices for the Summer spend if we're looking around the 40 mill and upwards mark. Two or three of these would be a dream.

Central Midfield-Saul Niguez who plays for athletico Madrid, age 26, market value 49.50 mill.

Central midfield- Franck kessie, age 24, AC Milan, market value 45.00 mill.

Right Winger- Ousmane Dembele, age 23, FC Barcelona. Market value-45.00 mill.

Attacking midfield- Luis Alberto, age 28, Lazio, Market value 45.00 mill.

Left Winger- Vinicius Junior- age 20- real Madrid, Market Value 36.00 mill.

Defensive Midfield- Marcel Brozovic, age 28, Inter, Market Value 36.00 mills.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

These would be some of my choices for the Summer spend if we're looking around the 40 mill and upwards mark.

Central Midfield-Saul Niguez who plays for athletico Madrid, age 26, market value 49.50 mill.   £80m

Central midfield- Franck kessie, age 24, AC Milan, market value 45.00 mill.                                    £60m

Right Winger- Ousmane Dembele, age 23, FC Barcelona. Market value-45.00 mill.                        £60m

Attacking midfield- Luis Alberto, age 28, Lazio, Market value 45.00 mill.                                          £55m

Left Winger- Vinicius Junior- age 20- real Madrid, Market Value 36.00 mill.                                     £80m

Defensive Midfield- Marcel Brozovic, age 28, Inter, Market Value 36.00 mills.                                 £45m

Some fine players in there. I think a few of the prices their clubs' would sell for will be a bit higher.

Given my guesses. Could be a game of find which clubs have been hardest hit by covid this summer.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Thanks 1

Luis Alberto is a really good player. Posts good creative stats year in year out in Serie A and averages 7-8 goals.

Don't know his contract length but I wonder if Lazio might cash in on one of their main players if they don't make CL. Probably someone like Savic-Milenkovic is unlikely for us but he'd be great aswell but Alberto might be one to seriously look at seeing as half of the top teams will be going after Rodrigo De Paul by sounds of it.

He was actually also at Liverpool a decade ago so would know the language and perhaps Purslow....

Edited by VillaChris
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Some fine players in there. I think you've underdone a few of the prices their clubs' would sell for though.

Given my guesses. Could be a game of find which clubs have been hardest hit by covid this summer.

Well that's what I'm thinking, find which clubs have some real quality players, see how hard they have been hit and see if we can pull two or three.

I certainly don't think it's impossible Tomazk with the current world circumstances and the way some of these clubs tried to sign for the super League. UEFA may fine these clubs as well for there punishment who knows. If we see there stars up for sale we should go against anyclub and try to sign them especially if they are showing signs they are desperate to sell there jewelry.

25 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

These would be some of my choices for the Summer spend if we're looking around the 40 mill and upwards mark. Two or three of these would be a dream.

Central Midfield-Saul Niguez who plays for athletico Madrid, age 26, market value 49.50 mill.

Central midfield- Franck kessie, age 24, AC Milan, market value 45.00 mill.

Right Winger- Ousmane Dembele, age 23, FC Barcelona. Market value-45.00 mill.

Attacking midfield- Luis Alberto, age 28, Lazio, Market value 45.00 mill.

Left Winger- Vinicius Junior- age 20- real Madrid, Market Value 36.00 mill.

Defensive Midfield- Marcel Brozovic, age 28, Inter, Market Value 36.00 mills.

Dream isn't the word I'd use...

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Luis Alberto is a really good player. Posts good creative stats year in year out in Serie A and averages 7-8 goals.

Don't know his contract length but I wonder if Lazio might cash in on one of their main players if they don't make CL. Probably someone like Savic-Milenkovic is unlikely for us but he'd be great aswell but Alberto might be one to seriously look at seeing as half of the top teams will be going after Rodrigo De Paul by sounds of it.

He can play as a second striker and central midfield, he's certainly creative and would be a heck of a player to have alongside Jack on the field.

You seem to have excellent knowledge of him Chris..

Edited by Dave-R

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Dream isn't the word I'd use...

Go on tell us your word then.

I'm trying to see beyond some of the names that are floating around here as of late. Sure some of you may see them as impossible, I see it as a next phase we simply have to reach. We have to get onto that level of signing if we are going to play in Europe.

Who knows, summer may yield some very positive results as much as it may not and we see more of the same as this Summer. I certainly do not think we can challenge for Europe Villan if we go buy more of the same then more of the same each season, we have to reach new heights.

We have to raise our expectations each season right? Then we have to raise who comes into the club as well. 😊

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Go on tell us your word then.

I'm trying to see beyond some of the names that are floating around here as of late. Sure some of you may see them as impossible, I see it as a next phase we simply have to reach. We have to get onto that level of signing if we are going to play in Europe.

Who knows, summer may yield some very positive results as much as it may not and we see more of the same as this Summer. I certainly do not think we can challenge for Europe Villan if we go buy more of the same then more of the same each season, we have to reach new heights.

We have to raise our expectations each season right? Then we have to raise who comes into the club as well. 😊

Vinicius Junior is probably a £80m player, 

Brosovic might not be out of reach financially and would be a real signal of intent , and tbf I never thought Felipe Anderson would rock up at West Ham but he did despite being a flop at the time was a major coup so anything is possible I suppose.