Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

He switched on from about the 55th minute, until then he was good going forwards and non existent in defence. Matty Cash had to give him two barrels and he switched it on and he worked hard and defended very well.

Shouldn't let a good result and overall decent performance blind us to the fact he wasn't switched on defensively. It's clear her can do it as he did do, but was caught out for the goal and Chilwell created a lot of chances because he wasn't getting back.

That said, he was good going forwards and has moment very similar to Jack where he dribbles the ball smartly and long enough to allow us to get ahead of the ball. Both of them doing that is so important to helping us defend from the front and allows Watkins a breather when he's running everywhere. 

He's a lot better than I believed after his first few matches (which was also tainted by the Lyon fans comments) but was lacking a bit for the first 50 today.

10 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I love having a guy like that in the side. Played with a Cali surfer bro in school. We would go down and he would be like "chill bro it's all good we are still in it" and it would just level everyone out and let you get back to business. 

Surf Hang Loose GIF by Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum

• Haha 1

Guilty for the goal, but as many have said stepped up to the challenge from around 55 minutes onwards.

A little bit harsh as chelsea clearly are better on that side, but I think trez wouldn’t let that happen.

I think when fit again, these are the types of situations where trez would be more suited

I was calling for Traore to come off after the goal, consistently stopped tracking the full back and didn't help Cash at all.

The part I liked about him tonight was that he was clearly told to improve at half time and did just that in the second half. 

He clearly has loads of ability.  He is just adjusting to the english game.  And doing so rapidly.  He and cash are still working on a very promising partnership.  This is the first season in premiership for both of them, isn’t it?  He’s learning, adjusting his decision making, improving every match.  He’s very quick with his first step.  Good speed.  Very direct.  Not afraid of a tackle.  Decent in the air.  He could be a major coup.  

VT critics are living up to the reputation of being silly harsh on this one. 

6 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

This is the first season in premiership for both of them, isn’t it? 

He was playing against his original top level club tonight. Chelsea got the transfer ban because of him

Edited by Kiwivillan

Considering he has played what?, 4-5 full-ish games in the PL for us?

I think considering how new he is, he's settling and adapting to our style and the league, i have been overall very impressed with him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

HE got caught out a few times, once which cost us a goal, by one of if not the best attacking left back in the league. Guilty.

Im not though sure it was a case of not tracking his runner, if you watch it back I genuinely don’t think he saw him. Now that’s still his fault but it’s down to awareness rather than attitude or willingness, there is a difference. Still he cost us a goal and got told by Cash ( I love that players are holding each other accountable on the pitch) and I’m sure by Smith at half time. 

In the second half I thought he put a shift in and was much better, not perfect defensively by any stretch but he put the effort in and made a few important interventions.

Some will want to roast him for the goal but I think it’s OTT considering overall he has been good today and over the last few games. Being too harsh on him would to me be an attempt to justify earlier premature judgements on him.

Agree completely. No-one is perfect, in football or any job, and he will have lots of company in getting done by Chilwell running from deep. He’s doing well and lots of potential to improve.

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

HE got caught out a few times, once which cost us a goal, by one of if not the best attacking left back in the league. Guilty.

Im not though sure it was a case of not tracking his runner, if you watch it back I genuinely don’t think he saw him. Now that’s still his fault but it’s down to awareness rather than attitude or willingness, there is a difference. Still he cost us a goal and got told by Cash ( I love that players are holding each other accountable on the pitch) and I’m sure by Smith at half time. 

In the second half I thought he put a shift in and was much better, not perfect defensively by any stretch but he put the effort in and made a few important interventions.

Some will want to roast him for the goal but I think it’s OTT considering overall he has been good today and over the last few games. Being too harsh on him would to me be an attempt to justify earlier premature judgements on him.

Agree - awareness/concentration rather than "I'm above this" attitude. He's definitely not afraid to put in the work defensively.

He is 25, though, and tracking a full back is hardly rocket science, so he deserves a bit of criticism for his not being switched on to what was happening. Plus it was obviously something Chelsea had spotted in their analysis, because they kept looking for that ball - so he's going to have to fix it.

But yeah, still got plenty of time for him. Think he's been a decent signing, on balance.

Defensive duties set aside. 

His ability the hold up and keep the ball under pressure is a joy to watch. They way he links up with Luiz with small intricate passes, love and behold. They passed themselves out of pressure, making it look too easy at times, ballers. Or the way he glides and dribbles past 2-5 players to then switch play perfectly over to other side.Fantastic player. Very few had the ability to do that.  He beat Chelseas pressure single handedly at times. 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 3

Lost the ball 18 times :o yesterday and only made 15 passes according to SofaScore.com. Also was 0 for 3 with attempted crosses. Lost Chilwell for the goal and struggled defensively all game,

But, I still don't think he was really terrible. Anyone who watched him for Lyon knows he can be a frustrating player but for us he's been more of a team player and less selfish. With growing confidence he's also started to do his Arjen Robben move more often which is great as he's good at it. With Lyon thou he did it all the time as he was clearly frustrated with his situation and it was a big part why Lyon fans got sick of him. In moderation it's a good trick to have thou.

For the Manure game I'd drop him thou and move Grealish to the left, especially if Wan-Bissaka is still out. Grealish will have a field day against an injured Nilsson-Lindelöf or Tuanzebe or whoever else they put there. Obviously this hinges on Barkley being fit enough to start. 

1 hour ago, Skruff said:

Defensive duties set aside. 

His ability the hold up and keep the ball under pressure is a joy to watch. They way he links up with Luiz with small intricate passes, love and behold. They passed themselves out of pressure, making it look too easy at times, ballers. Or the way he glides and dribbles past 2-5 players to then switch play perfectly over to other side.Fantastic player. Very few had the ability to do that.  He beat Chelseas pressure single handedly at times. 

I agree. Loved some of the little touches and link up. 

He's technically a very good player. The more of them we have in the side the better. 

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Lost the ball 18 times :o yesterday and only made 15 passes according to SofaScore.com. Also was 0 for 3 with attempted crosses. Lost Chilwell for the goal and struggled defensively all game,

But, I still don't think he was really terrible. Anyone who watched him for Lyon knows he can be a frustrating player but for us he's been more of a team player and less selfish. With growing confidence he's also started to do his Arjen Robben move more often which is great as he's good at it. With Lyon thou he did it all the time as he was clearly frustrated with his situation and it was a big part why Lyon fans got sick of him. In moderation it's a good trick to have thou.

For the Manure game I'd drop him thou and move Grealish to the left, especially if Wan-Bissaka is still out. Grealish will have a field day against an injured Nilsson-Lindelöf or Tuanzebe or whoever else they put there. Obviously this hinges on Barkley being fit enough to start. 

Agree with most of this although I thought he was noticeably better at tracking back and doing his defensive work in the second half. This is a great sign for me as work rate is a key part of the way we play. If he’s willing to learn and improve this part of his game he could become a very useful player for us and given our track record of developing players I’d suggest he’ll fit in much more in a few months time. 

On 28/12/2020 at 23:45, Thug said:

Guilty for the goal, but as many have said stepped up to the challenge from around 55 minutes onwards.

A little bit harsh as chelsea clearly are better on that side, but I think trez wouldn’t let that happen.

I think when fit again, these are the types of situations where trez would be more suited

He's been quite good the last 4 matches or so, but I sort of agree. While I ideally want to see him centrally not at RW, I think he's a lot worse defensively than offensively, so it could be a case of rotating in Trez when we meet specific opposition. I'd also argue AEG could do job on the right based on current form, but I just don't want him on the left when Barkley is fit. 

Absurd situation for us isn't it, to actually have options. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

On 29/12/2020 at 12:45, KentVillan said:

Agree - awareness/concentration rather than "I'm above this" attitude. He's definitely not afraid to put in the work defensively.

He is 25, though, and tracking a full back is hardly rocket science, so he deserves a bit of criticism for his not being switched on to what was happening. Plus it was obviously something Chelsea had spotted in their analysis, because they kept looking for that ball - so he's going to have to fix it.

But yeah, still got plenty of time for him. Think he's been a decent signing, on balance.

Tracking back is one thing, being accountable to Smith's setup and approach, specific to Chelsea, when we're not in possession is another. Then making the right decisions in the heat of the moment as play unfolds is yet another focal point. It can be difficult to implement rehearsed approaches, whether in possession or without, which is why tactical nous and knowhow is in itself an artform, and one of the four required elements of being a professional player. Traore has been at times, slow to react to where he should be when we're without possession, and consequently he's out of position and that can even adversely impact the whole team's cohesion as a defensive unit. even if momentarily. However he is a forward, and he is new here, so understandably, he's never been expected to play in the way that is required of him currently with us, under Smith. Trust me, every coach and player brings a unique experience and philosophy to the floor. Let Smith have some time with Traore and I'm sure he'll be as well drilled as is expected.

• Like 1

Â