Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Him conceding more goals than our other keepers doesnt really mean anything in terms of talent ability and importance.  Must admit i am suprised by the stat though. 

On 19/03/2024 at 18:16, Hornso said:

Well for the record:

Emi - 150 appearances, 1.23 Conceded Per Game
Schmeichel - 36 apps, 1.22
Sorensen - 158 apps, 1.22
Enckelman - 67 apps, 1.09
James - 84 apps, 0.99
Bosnich - 227 apps, 0.94

Spink would be in there too, but I don't have his pre-1992 stats. Since then he was 71 apps, 1.06.

Scoring is up the past few years...

Emi has been here since 2020-21. That year, average goals per game was 2.69, in the typical range for the PL era. But the last three years in a row have set PL-era records. From a previous record of 2.80 in 2011-12, the last three years have been 2.81, 2.82, and this year so far, a record-obliterating 3.24 (highest since 1952-53 in the old league). That helps explain the difference from Bosnich.

Not to mention that Bosnich had Paul McGrath in front of him most of his time here.

And, while it's not a fair comparison because goalkeepers weren't expected to do such things back then, none of the other candidates have Emi's sweeper-keeper and passing-in-back abilities.

Bosnich was good, but I'd still take Emi any day of the week.

• Like 3

I dont think the stat was meant to reflect badly on Emi.  Showing he's up there with our best shot stoppers in respect of one stat, and just a bit of general trivia. We all know he's probably better than nearly all of them for most attributes, although could never prove it. 

For one on one's I'd not rather have any other keeper in our history, including Schmeichel.

For general shot stopping him and Schmeichel probably not much in it. 

Penalties I'd say him and Bosnich probably not much in it.

Then you have his ability on the ball which we've never needed to see from our other keepers, although I imagine Schmeichel would have been more than competent at that if needed.

I'd say command of the area on crosses is the one area he could be beaten on by a couple of our past keepers, but overall I wouldn't have anyone else from my knowledge of our history over him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Him conceding more goals than our other keepers doesnt really mean anything in terms of talent ability and importance.  Must admit i am suprised by the stat though. 

We have always been a defensive counter attacking team. This impacted us at both ends of the pitch. Low risk/low reward football. We didn’t score many but we conceded even fewer. 
We are much more attacking these days. We score loads but also concede many chances to the opposition. We can only really afford to do this because Emi is so amazing. We trust him to get us out of trouble time and again. Obviously, he is also going to concede more as a result of the number of chances we give up. 

• Like 1

I think that's similar to people that don't think he deserved the Golden Glove award at the World cup as he let more goals in than goalkeeper xxx 

whereas anyone watching the games , would know he was essentially the MAIN reason Argentina won the world cup 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TomC said:

Emi has been here since 2020-21. That year, average goals per game was 2.69, in the typical range for the PL era. But the last three years in a row have set PL-era records. From a previous record of 2.80 in 2011-12, the last three years have been 2.81, 2.82, and this year so far, a record-obliterating 3.24 (highest since 1952-53 in the old league). That helps explain the difference from Bosnich.

Not to mention that Bosnich had Paul McGrath in front of him most of his time here.

And, while it's not a fair comparison because goalkeepers weren't expected to do such things back then, none of the other candidates have Emi's sweeper-keeper and passing-in-back abilities.

I can't imagine Bosnich playing it out from the back, that would be really bad for the health of those Villa fans of a nervous disposition. 🤣

I agree with you on this one. Bosnich was a great shot stopper and commanded his area and dealt with crosses into the box pretty well, but Emi is the far superior all round goalkeeper in my opinion and dare I say it the best goalkeeper for Villa over the last 40 years.

• Like 3

On 03/03/2024 at 18:57, Tom13 said:

Schmeichel wasn't the best in the world by the time he signed for us surely?

Schmeichel was crap for us

5 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Another clean sheet for Emi last night in a 3-0 win over El Salvador.

How he managed to keep *checks notes* Thai league superstar Nelson Bonilla from scoring is anyone's guess. 

• Haha 1

On 21/03/2024 at 00:21, TomC said:

Probably because we play about 10 mins more injury time this season each match. 

Would also possibly explain why every club is in injury crisis. 

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

I'm guilty of taking him for granted at times. His presence is increasingly so important. 

It’s weird isn’t it, that Ait-Nouri chance I just thought “yep standard Emi” but there was nothing standard about it at all

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

It’s weird isn’t it, that Ait-Nouri chance I just thought “yep standard Emi” but there was nothing standard about it at all

Yeah we just expect it from him now.  Id say he’s got us at least 10pts all season what we wouldn’t have got without him. 

Â