Emiliano Martínez

hippo

37 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

No he wasn’t it was just the narrative pushed by the jealous English media.

It also just taps into the English psyche that being confident is arrogance and “not cricket”. It’s why we produce such uptight and insular people. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

It also just taps into the English psyche that being confident is arrogance and “not cricket”. It’s why we produce such uptight and insular people. 

Took me a while to get past that mentality after moving to the US.

In the US you tell everyone how good you are or you don't get paid...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rodders129 said:

Heading into the team of the season as it stands. Vicario found out, can’t catch high ball into the box/command his area. Alison dropping clangers. Wouldn’t swap Emi for anyone 

Sadly, he won't make it.

Doesn't play for any of the Sly 6. if he did, he'd be getting way, way more cover from all of the msm 

We love him, he knows we love him. He appears to love Villa and we know that too. 

I hope he finishes his career here and in doing so, go down in history as a Villa legend

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Exactly this. I lived in the US as well and it’s crippling how socially awkward and unwilling to be free we are brought up to be. But yeah if you’re not bugging yourself up then it’s taken at face value that you must be shit.

Anyway on Emi, I’m going to go as far as to say he’s the best footballer ever to play for us. He’s won the World Cup, he’s won every best goalkeeper in the world award, he’s worth double digits of points every season, he hardly ever cocks up. Whenever he’s one on one or there is a penalty, any other keeper (apart from Ederson) I’d favour the striker but not Emi. You just know that leg is going to fly out of nowhere and stop it. He increases the profile of our club, he’s a calming presence in defence, he seems to love the Villa, we love him. He’s a born winner and champion and legend. 

I agree with this.  When he leaves he'll be held in the same esteem as McGrath.  He's so important to everything we do.  He has the players trust and he constantly backs himself up with saves no other keeper makes.  How he ended up at Villa, I'll never know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I agree with this.  When he leaves he'll be held in the same esteem as McGrath.  He's so important to everything we do.  He has the players trust and he constantly backs himself up with saves no other keeper makes.  How he ended up at Villa, I'll never know. 

Arsenal shat the bed, repeatedly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Arsenal shat the bed, repeatedly.

Refuse to sell ESR but willingly gave us Martinez. Boggles the mind. With Emi they win the league last year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, birdman said:

I was just thinking about the goal Ollie scored from that insane Dougie pass. If that was Emi in goal you would fancy him to save it with his legs but Foderingham just stood there motionless.

I've lost count of how many times Emi has kept us in a game this season. He's my player of the season so far without doubt.

That strike from Ollie was sublime, and across the keeper, is a traditionally hard place for a Keeper......I love Emi, but that was more difficult to stop, than it looks, it was just perfectly hit......The precision of a  Ronnie O'Sullivan hit.

I am all for lauding Emi, but that was one, I think he may have struggled with.

Edited by TRO

During yesterday's Arsenal v Liverpool game, Neville referred to Alisson as being the 'best keeper in the league'. I thought...'hold on a second there, Gary. I think you've forgotten there's a current World Cup winner and holder of the Yashin Trophy playing in this league who also happens to be playing out of his skin at the moment'

Even when we're in the top 4 our players aren't afforded the recognition they deserve. He's imperious at this current time. 

14 hours ago, rodders129 said:

Heading into the team of the season as it stands. Vicario found out, can’t catch high ball into the box/command his area. Alison dropping clangers. Wouldn’t swap Emi for anyone 

Vicario plays for the media darlings though and any mistakes from him will get brushed over. Emi however plays for villa who’ve been “shipping goals the last 4 or 5 games” according to the commentator on Saturday. 

3 hours ago, birdman said:

I was just thinking about the goal Ollie scored from that insane Dougie pass. If that was Emi in goal you would fancy him to save it with his legs but Foderingham just stood there motionless.

I've lost count of how many times Emi has kept us in a game this season. He's my player of the season so far without doubt.

Agree. Ollie placed it well, but if that was Emi I'd actually think he'd be disappointed letting it in without even getting near it.

He's so so good. The character he brings elevates him even further. Gives us a winning mentality and it's always nice to have to odd nutcase to scare teams off.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

During yesterday's Arsenal v Liverpool game, Neville referred to Alisson as being the 'best keeper in the league'. I thought...'hold on a second there, Gary. I think you've forgotten there's a current World Cup winner and holder of the Yashin Trophy playing in this league who also happens to be playing out of his skin at the moment'

Even when we're in the top 4 our players aren't afforded the recognition they deserve. He's imperious at this current time. 

He also called VVD the best CB in the league (I think this was the same sentence) - showing he's a bit out of touch. 

• Haha 2

On 03/02/2024 at 19:35, StefanAVFC said:

World class. How do we have the world number 1, it’s mad 

Yet Transfermarkt still have him valued at one chip butty and a pack of salt 'n' shake. 

Doesn't play for a big club (mate). 😮‍💨

4 hours ago, birdman said:

It didn't help them that Foderingham is absolutely shit. Like really really shit

As good as Tielemans strike was, for example, people were saying it was top corner. It wasn't, it's right next to the keeper. I'd back Emi to at least get close to saving that

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

That strike from Ollie was sublime, and across the keeper, is a traditionally hard place for a Keeper......I love Emi, but that was more difficult to stop, than it looks, it was just perfectly hit......The precision of a  Ronnie O'Sullivan hit.

I am all for lauding Emi, but that was one, I think he may have struggled with.

It was well placed by Ollie for sure but for me Emi would have given that a go....stating the obvious I know as Foderingham was as good as a chocolate fireguard.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It didn't help them that Foderingham is absolutely shit. Like really really shit

As good as Tielemans strike was, for example, people were saying it was top corner. It wasn't, it's right next to the keeper. I'd back Emi to at least get close to saving that

I'm glad I'm not the only one genuinely staggered by how bad Foderingham is. I can't believe he plays for a PL side. He's astonishingly poor. Was delighted to see he was back in their side at the weekend. 

Such a contrast with Emi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one genuinely staggered by how bad Foderingham is. I can't believe he plays for a PL side. He's astonishingly poor. Was delighted to see he was back in their side at the weekend. 

Such a contrast with Emi.

Yep. He’s absolute toilet 

Â