Emiliano Martínez

hippo

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Also Emi's had a couple of dodgy games going back  to Emirates and let in some soft goals so he's due a World class game there and Thursday was a nice warm up with some of the saves he made.

🧐

Also:

• Like 2

I'm still a bit bemused why their fans boo him so much.

He broke into their team and played a huge role in their only trophy in seven years now.

Straight after Arteta decided to sell him ahead of Leno (who then left the next season) so he'd have been understandably disappointed by that given he'd been at Arsenal a decade at that point.

I get he said something but I can't believe it was that derogatory so strange it's so hostile towards him whenever he goes back to playing there.

Fabregas was still getting applause when he was playing for Chelsea.

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

People want to say it’s Alisson or Ederson or whoever else.

It isn’t - it’s Emi Martinez. 

Yeah Emi is pretty clearly above those two.

He's the best in the world right now. I'm sorry but objectively this is true.

Love how he baits players into coming towards him when he has the ball on his own goal line. Such a well drilled tactic that we've benefited from so well. Dean Smith tried to do this too but it was never as good as  it is now.

We'd a great chance in the first half when Emi and Pau kept passing it along the inside our box and about 4 of Arsenal's front line kept getting closer to them. We managed to pass it through their press via McGinn and Rogers I think, Oliie missed a good chance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Never seen a keeper use his legs like he does to make world class saves.

De Gea was very good at it from memory.  Didn't have the commanding presence or ability to just claim, but was very good with his legs.

• Like 1

After Watkins hit the post first-half the Arse went and tried to score yet that save from Trossard galvanised the team.

Pi55ed me off how the interviewer after they game tried to talk about Arsenal all the time FFS.

"Emi, you are ex-Arsenal. A club close to your heart, how are things going to get out of this"? Etc...blah blah blah.

What a man. His saves are world class, and the confidence having him there must give the team is probably like nothing a Villa defence has had in years. And then you see him give an interview to sky standing beside Watkins and it turns out his hype man skills are world class as well! Fair play EMI, you are one in a billion.

• Like 1

Goalkeepers are giants compared to whst they used to be. When you take the size, the fitness agility etc he's a different level to the greats of the past Rimmer and Bosnich. He's not just the best we have ever had hes the best by a country mile and I don't think there is a better keeper in world football.

As well as preposterous quality overall, he's just got that X-Factor.

Something magical about him.

If we go to a penalty shootout this season...imagine the confidence all the takers will have knowing Emi is trying to stop the opponents.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 21:38, MWARLEY2 said:

Must be horrible being one on one with him. They will have watched his highlights and seen that you are likely to score 1 in 10 of one on ones against him  . His sheer size is his asset as well. Look at how skinny Vicario and Sa are for instance  or how small Raya is.  If he is closing you down then you are probably thinking that its going to really hurt . Said it 100 times but he is the closest to Peter Schmeichel there has been in terms of personality and agility for his size. 

Great post. Raya seemed to shrink for Ollie's goal making himself really small.

This is the part of the season where Emi will turn it on as he will know how close we are to achieving the goals we promised him when he signed.

Going to be heart stopping but you feel the last missing piece is him winning us a penalty shootout now.

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

People want to say it’s Alisson or Ederson or whoever else.

It isn’t - it’s Emi Martinez. 

You can argue which ever way between the three, but it should be an argument including all of them.

I would definitely say that there is no keeper in the league that is more important to their team than Emi is to us.

• Like 2

Despite winning the 2021 Copa America and the Golden Glove, despite winning the 2022 World Cup and Golden Glove, despite being awarded the 2022 Best Goalkeeper in the World, and despite winning the 2023 Yashin Trophy... he's still criminally underrated by football fans and the media in general - it's crazy.

Â