Emiliano Martínez

hippo

I was born in 1984… and in my lifetime (and my opinion) we haven’t had a better goalkeeper…

Emis performances for us eclipse:

Spink

Bosnich

Schmeichal (I know he was the best in the world at the time, but Emi has done better for us!)

Freidel

those are probably the whose who of best goalkeepers we have had in that time… and Emi has flown past them regarding performance levels 

2 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

I was born in 1984… and in my lifetime (and my opinion) we haven’t had a better goalkeeper…

Emis performances for us eclipse:

Spink

Bosnich

Schmeichal (I know he was the best in the world at the time, but Emi has done better for us!)

Freidel

those are probably the whose who of best goalkeepers we have had in that time… and Emi has flown past them regarding performance levels 

Schmeichel wasn't the best in the world by the time he signed for us surely?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Set to make his 150th appearance on the weekend (by my dodgy spreadsheet). Has 48 clean sheets, so about 1 every 3 games. 

Anyone want to guess what other Villa keepers (Since football began in 1992) have a lower Goals Conceded per game than Emi? 5 keepers, minimum 25 appearances (I've excluded keepers that played during the Championship era).

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 3

I was just giggling to myself after watching MOTD and seeing Emi's facial expression after the end of the Var controversy, the way Soucek looks at him helplessly and Emi just dismissively offering handshakes. Also, I loved how he congratulated Matty for that tremendous match - saving block. 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2024 at 15:18, dubliner said:

Couldn't agree more. I find it staggering that he spent so long in the wilderness at Arsenal.

They bought Ramsdale to replace him and then bought Raya to replace Ramsdale. Neither anywhere near as good as Emi.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2024 at 18:06, Hornso said:

Set to make his 150th appearance on the weekend (by my dodgy spreadsheet). Has 48 clean sheets, so about 1 every 3 games. 

Anyone want to guess what other Villa keepers (Since football began in 1992) have a lower Goals Conceded per game than Emi? 5 keepers, minimum 25 appearances (I've excluded keepers that played during the Championship era).

Well for the record:

Emi - 150 appearances, 1.23 Conceded Per Game
Schmeichel - 36 apps, 1.22
Sorensen - 158 apps, 1.22
Enckelman - 67 apps, 1.09
James - 84 apps, 0.99
Bosnich - 227 apps, 0.94

Spink would be in there too, but I don't have his pre-1992 stats. Since then he was 71 apps, 1.06.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hornso said:

Well for the record:

Emi - 150 appearances, 1.23 Conceded Per Game
Schmeichel - 36 apps, 1.22
Sorensen - 158 apps, 1.22
Enckelman - 67 apps, 1.09
James - 84 apps, 0.99
Bosnich - 227 apps, 0.94

Spink would be in there too, but I don't have his pre-1992 stats. Since then he was 71 apps, 1.06.

I'm shocked Enck and Sorenson made the list.  I don't recall them being good (Sorenson obviously not bad), but maybe more to do with how the team around them was performing at the time.

Sorenson more of shock for how many games he played maintaining that level.

Emi did have a season with us fighting relegation so I'm sure his average has been getting continously better, and hopefully will continue to. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'm shocked Enck and Sorenson made the list.  I don't recall them being good (Sorenson obviously not bad), but maybe more to do with how the team around them was performing at the time.

Emi did have a season with us fighting relegation so I'm sure his average has been getting continously better, and hopefully will continue to. 

I think context on how we play - Unai is about scoring goals and controlling possession and less obsessed with clean sheets.  

David James was excellent for us and probably had his best two seasons as a pro in his time at Villa.  Doesn't often get mentioned because he only stayed two seasons before Ellis did the deal for Schmeichel on his yacht. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Maybe lots of 0-0's and low scoring games generally?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Yeah, it's not a perfect stat. Obviously relies on the ability of the teammates in front of you and how you set up. Still surprising, although I would image we had a lot more 0-0 and 1-0 results back then as opposed to now.

Â