Emiliano Martínez

hippo

So happy for him to do this in front of the Arsenal fans who mocked him for that freak own goal against them last season. 

Some brilliant away support, as always, but this song literally had me rolling.....

"He left cause you're 💩, he left cause you're 💩💩, Emi Martinez, he left cause you're 💩"

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'm still a bit bemused why their fans boo him so much.

He broke into their team and played a huge role in their only trophy in seven years now.

Straight after Arteta decided to sell him ahead of Leno (who then left the next season) so he'd have been understandably disappointed by that given he'd been at Arsenal a decade at that point.

I get he said something but I can't believe it was that derogatory so strange it's so hostile towards him whenever he goes back to playing there.

Fabregas was still getting applause when he was playing for Chelsea.

I seem to remember it being a very warm and respectful goodbye, typical of the man

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

Despite winning the 2021 Copa America and the Golden Glove, despite winning the 2022 World Cup and Golden Glove, despite being awarded the 2022 Best Goalkeeper in the World, and despite winning the 2023 Yashin Trophy... he's still criminally underrated by football fans and the media in general - it's crazy.

Like I said previously, the weird thing is I think he USED to be rated that highly. After the world cup I think people were recognising him as one of the best keepers in the world.

Since then his reputation seems to have gone backwards despite him getting better and better. If you see pundit and fan's best Prem XI of the season for this season he isn't in any of them. They're mostly Vicario and Alisson. Don't get me wrong, they're good keepers, but Martinez has had his best season for us. he's been absolutely immense

It's quite weird. 

He continues to get better and better with the ball at his feet by the way. He's absolutely key to the way we play at the back and it's priceless.

It's a big reason why it's such a step down when we have to play Olsen. No disrespect to Olsen, he was good the last time he played. But he's simply not capable of passing the ball like Emi

Just now, Stevo985 said:

He continues to get better and better with the ball at his feet by the way. He's absolutely key to the way we play at the back and it's priceless.

It's a big reason why it's such a step down when we have to play Olsen. No disrespect to Olsen, he was good the last time he played. But he's simply not capable of passing the ball like Emi

It's 100% a tactic we played yesterday. We baited their press with Emi having the ball so deep (almost in the goal a few times) and then he released the pressure with fast accurate passing.

FWIW it's also why it was so key Tielemans had a good game yesterday. Baiting the press with quick, accurate passing is super rewarding to watch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's 100% a tactic we played yesterday. We baited their press with Emi having the ball so deep (almost in the goal a few times) and then he released the pressure with fast accurate passing.

FWIW it's also why it was so key Tielemans had a good game yesterday. Baiting the press with quick, accurate passing is super rewarding to watch.

Agreed. We've become a massively press resistant team. It's why players like Pau may not be the best defensively in the world, but they're absolutely key to the way we play.

Emi has everything though

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'm still a bit bemused why their fans boo him so much.

He broke into their team and played a huge role in their only trophy in seven years now.

Straight after Arteta decided to sell him ahead of Leno (who then left the next season) so he'd have been understandably disappointed by that given he'd been at Arsenal a decade at that point.

I get he said something but I can't believe it was that derogatory so strange it's so hostile towards him whenever he goes back to playing there.

Fabregas was still getting applause when he was playing for Chelsea.

It's like an Auschwitz guard saying the captives are ungrateful.....they treated him badly, he gave them enough time and after no sign of change, eventually left.

Arsenal fans are in denial, how poorly he was treated.

He has been given a good home, and he is happy.......what is there not to like?

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've never seen a keeper so confident with the ball at his feet .. he gives me a **** heart attack every time when he almost goads the attacker closing him down to but he seems to be in total control 

to your other posts .. i think his first season he was immense and then there was a little dip , quite a few games where he costs us points when he let in a  few soft ones   , this season he seems to have gone back to the season one high ,possibly even surpassed it , i guess the swagger of winning a world cup does wonders to your confidence :D 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

You can argue which ever way between the three, but it should be an argument including all of them.

I would definitely say that there is no keeper in the league that is more important to their team than Emi is to us.

I don't think you can, this season. Alisson has been injured like half of it, Ederson has been mid, conceding lots of goal with a world class defense.

Emi is quite vocal about how doing well with Villa means more than moving to a ‘bigger club’ and getting success quickly, how we’re not just here to take part, saying Ollie is being overlooked because he doesn’t play for a big six club, etc. — I think having someone like him so vocal in the changing rooms could be massive for changing the mindset around the club and getting players to buy into being this disruptive force challenging the established order, rather than being tempted by offers away. The togetherness you see on the pitch and the love lots of players seem to have for each other and the club suggests this is already happening.

• Like 3

Not sure if anyone watched the four four two analysis on YouTube but basically Emi was fundamental to how we controlled the second half. He effectively operated as a third centre back during the build up and played passes from next to his own goal line. It’s not just about technique…that takes balls of steel. He’s a phenom. Worked his ass off into a ball playing GK on top of all his other amazing attributes. Best in the world

• Like 4

I still cannot get over the fact that when you google search Dibu, this is the 2nd or 3rd image that pops up

What a **** legend

16714363859213.webp

Edited by Caddy

Â