Emiliano Martínez

hippo

20 hours ago, Spoony said:

Anyway on Emi, I’m going to go as far as to say he’s the best footballer ever to play for us. He’s won the World Cup, he’s won every best goalkeeper in the world award, he’s worth double digits of points every season, he hardly ever cocks up.

Even among semi-recent players, I can't put him ahead of McGrath. Yes, Emi won the WC, but he played for a country capable of winning the WC. McGrath led an Irish squad to the WC quarterfinals, which was pretty remarkable for a country of its size and football history, and like Emi was in the discussion for best in the world at his position. Not to mention he won two trophies at Villa.

Let's not leave Billy Walker, Pongo Waring, and other old-timers out of the conversation either.

Will Emi be top 10 or maybe even top 5 in the club's history when all is said and done? Yes. But let's avoid recency bias.

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

What is everyone’s views on Emi’s position here?

DE032C32-22E6-4EDB-8893-DEB9F08BFA0F.jpeg

Tis fine. The free kick was almost absolutely perfect and had it been an inch to the right Emi probably would have saved it. It happens. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

It's fine. He's not too far over and he's got a good look at the trajectory. His jump was also good. But it went top corner and that happens. Enzo hit it with real good pace.

The other two goals he could do nothing about either. Top corner again from Gallagher and the Jackson header into the bottom corner first time in flight.

Think he faced some pot shots otherwise but a normal Emi game from him.

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That’s as good a free kick as you’ll ever see. Perfect in terms of making it as difficult for the keeper as possible. 

And yet he still got a finger to it 😂

What a keeper, pun intended 😂

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That’s as good a free kick as you’ll ever see. Perfect in terms of making it as difficult for the keeper as possible. 

All the keepers in the Prem would have been beaten by that. It was a world class freekick. Best we have seen this season. The fact he nearly got there is testament to him, not a failure. 

• Like 2

On 06/02/2024 at 05:50, TomC said:

Even among semi-recent players, I can't put him ahead of McGrath. Yes, Emi won the WC, but he played for a country capable of winning the WC. McGrath led an Irish squad to the WC quarterfinals, which was pretty remarkable for a country of its size and football history, and like Emi was in the discussion for best in the world at his position. Not to mention he won two trophies at Villa.

Let's not leave Billy Walker, Pongo Waring, and other old-timers out of the conversation either.

Will Emi be top 10 or maybe even top 5 in the club's history when all is said and done? Yes. But let's avoid recency bias.

Totally agree - Paul was simply out of this world.

Remember Emi trains every day of the week, just imagine, if Paul could have done this.

He may not even have joined us this being the case.

World class is an understatement for Paul 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

All the keepers in the Prem would have been beaten by that. It was a world class freekick. Best we have seen this season. The fact he nearly got there is testament to him, not a failure. 

He’s an unbelievable keeper and a big character with it. My wife also thinks he’s gorgeous .

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Only negative I would say is, I just wish he would get the ball out a bit quicker. Gives to much time for the oppsition to get back into position.

Feel like I'm saying this in every thread, but this is down to him having less confidence in the defenders he's passing the ball too.

He kept up his dangerous passing when Pau first got injured and we conceded a lot of chances to mistakes made under pressure. To fix that, he's more selective about when he releases it and who to.

23 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Feel like I'm saying this in every thread, but this is down to him having less confidence in the defenders he's passing the ball too.

He kept up his dangerous passing when Pau first got injured and we conceded a lot of chances to mistakes made under pressure. To fix that, he's more selective about when he releases it and who to.

Then this, along with the players we got missing, is another reason we are lacking on the pitch.

6 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

As a goalkeeper for 30 years and a qualified goalkeeping coach, I can tell you it’s absolutely textbook

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As a goalkeeper for 30 years and a qualified goalkeeping coach, I can tell you it’s absolutely textbook

It may be the best free kick I've seen this season and he still got his fingertips to the ball. I can't criticize his positioning.

52 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I will bow to your superior knowledge in this field, I also play in goal but not as experienced as yourself.

51 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I will bow to your superior knowledge in this field, I also play in goal but not as experienced as yourself.

Out of interest what is your potential issue with it? 

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Out of interest what is your potential issue with it? 

I just felt that a more central position might have given Dibu that extra yard to maybe make the save as he got fingertips to it anyway. It’s hard to be too critical of him as I’d say his positioning is definitely one of his strong points.

33 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I just felt that a more central position might have given Dibu that extra yard to maybe make the save as he got fingertips to it anyway. It’s hard to be too critical of him as I’d say his positioning is definitely one of his strong points.

Keepers rarely line up centrally on free kicks. It’s why you have a wall. 

You have to trust that the wall will protect that side of the goal and you guard the other side of the goal. 

A more central position probably would have given him a better chance of saving it, but then the other side of his goal is completely exposed. At this level a player could just drill the ball into the top corner. He also runs the risk of being completely unsighted because he’d be stood behind his own wall. 

You have to accept that if someone puts it in the postage stamp then they’re going to score. It’s a percentage game

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Keepers rarely line up centrally on free kicks. It’s why you have a wall. 

You have to trust that the wall will protect that side of the goal and you guard the other side of the goal. 

A more central position probably would have given him a better chance of saving it, but then the other side of his goal is completely exposed. At this level a player could just drill the ball into the top corner. He also runs the risk of being completely unsighted because he’d be stood behind his own wall. 

You have to accept that if someone puts it in the postage stamp then they’re going to score. It’s a percentage game

I think the issue is where I am probably judging how I would’ve looked to save it if that was me in a game at the level that I play at.

With the greatest of respect to the players I play against, I don’t think they’re quite on that same level as what Emi is facing on a regular basis. 😂

• Haha 1

Â