Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 minute ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Not sure he would be first choice when Heaton is fit, does this suggest Heatons injury is much worse than thought?

Martinez is 27 - Heaton is 34 - and with big injuries in his last 2 seasons.  As things stand Steer looks to be starting keeper v Sheff Utd - no problem with that but Steer is also injury prone. This could be a chance to get a keeper in who's best years are ahead of him.  If in the short term Heaton proves to be the better keeper - I wouldn't imagine it would be for long.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Not sure he would be first choice when Heaton is fit, does this suggest Heatons injury is much worse than thought?

Heaton has said himself he won't be back until mid October so we need a keeper for first 3-4 games and clearly the exisiting options aren'r favoured (personally I'd give Steer a run).

That said I was hugely impressed by Martinez in the run in last season and he played very well against Liverpool the other week.

Worth remembering Heaton got injured at Burnley and then spent six months bench warming behind Joe Hart so a top pro like him won't spit his dummy out if he dosen't get straight back in. He'll bide his time, play in the cups and continue to train well.

Hope we can pull this one off, I'd say it would be a coup.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Martinez is 27 - Heaton is 34 - and with big injuries in his last 2 seasons.  As things stand Steer looks to be starting keeper v Sheff Utd - no problem with that but Steer is also injury prone. This could be a chance to get a keeper in who's best years are ahead of him.  If in the short term Heaton proves to be the better keeper - I wouldn't imagine it would be for long.

Nyland has played the friendlies no, saved a penalty as well I think. Think he's ahead of Steer 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hadnt appreciated the age gap which makes a case, I just didnt see it as a priority area and 20m at that.

8 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Really don’t see the need to spend big on a keeper. 

Nails a position we have struggled with for years - for the long term future - will be a pillar of the team going forwards. £20mill? That tells me NSWE are building something substantial - personally I think it's exciting. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Hadnt appreciated the age gap which makes a case, I just didnt see it as a priority area and 20m at that.

I chuck £200m at it , rather than risk Nyland turning out for us - thats just throwing points away.....

• Like 1

tbh, i would like us to get Martinez, but i also find it really strange, Martinez would only come here to be no1, if thats the case is Heaton going to be no2?, also cant see him being happy with that?

I know Heaton is injured and we dont know how his recovery and future injuries might pan out, but still.........we will have two no1 goalkeepers, both of whom would expect to be no1 i would think.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nails a position we have struggled with for years - for the long term future - will be a pillar of the team going forwards. £20mill? That tells me NSWE are building something substantial - personally I think it's exciting. 

I thought he was 32 for some reason 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, i would like us to get Martinez, but i also find it really strange, Martinez would only come here to be no1, if thats the case is Heaton going to be no2?, also cant see him being happy with that?

I know Heaton is injured and we dont know how his recovery and future injuries might pan out, but still.........we will have two no1 goalkeepers, both of whom would expect to be no1 i would think.

Right now Heaton is injured. Steer is also recovering from Injury - Nyland would just gift the opposition points. Martinez solves all those problems - and at 27 could be a top keeper for a while.  Having two number 1's we can deal with later down the line.

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

I thought we had signed the guy.

If we must do this new thing of starting a thread for a player based on a rumour, could we at least put `speculation' in the title.

It's not new. It's always been the case that if there's a proper article or something linking us to a player they get a thread.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I'm sure he has something to wipe the tears away

woody harrelson crying GIF

• Like 1

Â