Generic Virus Thread

villakram

A treatment named SNG001 seems to be going live in Southampton , supposed to stop the virus replicating in the lungs , rather than a cure but it sound like it works as an alternative to ventilators ...could be a deal changer as far as the UK is  concerned ( and presumably rest of world ) if it works 

• Like 2

South Carolina update:

*all schools closing tomorrow  

*e learning begins tomorrow. Had to do lessons up to the 27th but then our spring break begins. 

*bars and restaurants are closed for dine in patrons. Pick up or delivery allowed. 

*ive been laid up for 3 days but not with the corona. 

*dont plan on going out. 

*rumors are schools closing to end of the school year 😳 

• Like 1

I know there are more important things to be concerned about, but **** me, Ryanair are playing some games.

They've cancelled flights, and they're making people apply for refunds rather than reimbursing automatically.

And their refund app doesn't work. Surely there's some sort of illegality going on here? Twitter is blowing up with people complaining of the same issue.

The only thing that does work, is the ability to change your flight. But doing that, the flights are more expensive than when you go through the homepage search. Despicable business practice. Really.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, jim said:

I’m undecided but to call not paying a dick move is very harsh imo. These are uncertain times and you don’t know what is around the corner so any money saved now could be putting food on the table a few months down the line. 

I get it’s harsh on the nursery and the workers and it’s not their fault, but it isn’t mine either.  Paying out 50/60% of my monthly salary for a service I’m not getting, whilst busting a gut to keep myself in a job and look after the kids at the same time is a bitter pill to swallow. I’d like to think the government will be supporting these companies. Whether they will or not is another story. 

I agree. When I first mentioned it, it was purely on a moral standpoint as it's a tricky one. I'd feel guilty taking money off someone who really needs it when I don't. But I can also understand the flip side of the argument.

But now there might be financial packages in place to protect them I'd feel much happier about not paying for my non-service! Might be worth having a chat with them over next few days.

On a side note a lot of schools have been caught off guard by today's announcement and are scrambling. We'd prepared for open, we'd prepared for closed. But no-one knows what this halfway house is and how it works practically. We don't have a list of kid's parent's jobs!

Edited by jackbauer24
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Bloke in the "World Store" on Erdington High Street told me I'll need to buy my fags before end of play Friday as they might "have" to close for 2 weeks.

This might be bigger than just London.

Petrol stations will remain open

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Well that was an interesting evening. Genuinely not pissing about here. Felt fine until Tuesday despite wife showing symptoms over the weekend but mild dry throat & occasional cough appeared before relatively light chest pains & difficulty breathing kicked in. Actually seemed to improve a little by the time i woke up but cough & breathing worsened during the day to the point where i am struggling to take any sort of meaningful deep breath at all. Doesn't feel like i am about to collapse or anything but breathing isn't fun and having to stand up every few minutes to try and get some sort of deeper gulp of air.Standing in the garden definitely seems to aid this at least somewhat. Assessed & told it looks like i definitely have it but not tested or hospitalised. Repeatedly asked about any blood coming from either end (there isn't) & still able to hold a conversation without having to stop to try and breathe every few words and this seems to be the cut-off point at the moment for whether you are going to end up in hospital or not. Treatment/advice is drink water, take paracetamol, wash hands, do not leave the house for 14 days, avoid other people. If breathing difficulties worsen over the next 3 or 4 days and/or any signs of blood call 111 (999 in extremes). Unless you are pretty much about to drop dead (which hopefully i am not) it seems you are not getting tested or going anywhere near a hospital. Now off to bed & will hopefully wake up in the morning 😕 Cheers to those who showed concern & stay safe out there. This isn't much fun.

Sorry to hear mate, hope you don't have it and that you're okay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Well that was an interesting evening. Genuinely not pissing about here. Felt fine until Tuesday despite wife showing symptoms over the weekend but mild dry throat & occasional cough appeared before relatively light chest pains & difficulty breathing kicked in. Actually seemed to improve a little by the time i woke up but cough & breathing worsened during the day to the point where i am struggling to take any sort of meaningful deep breath at all. Doesn't feel like i am about to collapse or anything but breathing isn't fun and having to stand up every few minutes to try and get some sort of deeper gulp of air.Standing in the garden definitely seems to aid this at least somewhat. Assessed & told it looks like i definitely have it but not tested or hospitalised. Repeatedly asked about any blood coming from either end (there isn't) & still able to hold a conversation without having to stop to try and breathe every few words and this seems to be the cut-off point at the moment for whether you are going to end up in hospital or not. Treatment/advice is drink water, take paracetamol, wash hands, do not leave the house for 14 days, avoid other people. If breathing difficulties worsen over the next 3 or 4 days and/or any signs of blood call 111 (999 in extremes). Unless you are pretty much about to drop dead (which hopefully i am not) it seems you are not getting tested or going anywhere near a hospital. Now off to bed & will hopefully wake up in the morning 😕 Cheers to those who showed concern & stay safe out there. This isn't much fun.

Glad to hear you’re home. So the 700-odd new cases yesterday were admitted to hospital 48 hrs ago (how long the test result takes to come back) in a worse state than you - who still needed paramedics & a blue-light call out... 

Out of interest how old are you mate, normally healthy? 

Got friends stuck over in florida, a couple in their 50's, been told no flights for 8 weeks, the wife is panicking because of family and commitments over here, they saying they gonna drive from airport to airport to see what they can do. Any advice I can give them would be greatly appreciated,  thank you.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

A useful timeline of the 'hoax':

Actually, why not check in on how some more people that old people sadly pay attention to have 'evolved' their position:

What a difference a week makes eh?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I know there are more important things to be concerned about, but **** me, Ryanair are playing some games.

They've cancelled flights, and they're making people apply for refunds rather than reimbursing automatically.

And their refund app doesn't work. Surely there's some sort of illegality going on here? Twitter is blowing up with people complaining of the same issue.

The only thing that does work, is the ability to change your flight. But doing that, the flights are more expensive than when you go through the homepage search. Despicable business practice. Really.

I doubt they have the cash to be able to refund people. 

We’re all going to take a financial hit out of this, one way or the other. 

6 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I agree. When I first mentioned it, it was purely on a moral standpoint as it's a tricky one. I'd feel guilty taking money off someone who really needs it when I don't. But I can also understand the flip side of the argument.

But now there might be financial packages in place to protect them I'd feel much happier about not paying for my non-service! Might be worth having a chat with them over next few days.

On a side note a lot of schools have been caught off guard by today's announcement and are scrambling. We'd prepared for open, we'd prepared for closed. But no-one knows what this halfway house is and how it works practically. We don't have a list of kid's parent's jobs!

We had an email from our sons nursery to say that they would be closed from Friday onwards too. Admittedly we dont pay anything near what others have quoted in here so I dont have a problem paying it if we had to, they didn't mention anything about payments in their email so will wait and see about that. I guess they wont be charging us due to the government help they will probably getting. They did say that they had put themselves up to open for the frontline services staffs kids, the local council will decide if they need for them for this otherwise they will be closed until further notice. 

They did also say that we could make private arrangements with the staff at the nursery if we so wished. Hopefully will be all a bit clearer for everyone over the next coming days about this.

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

I don't understand the new Tesco rules. Max 3 of any item? So 3 single bananas? What if i buy those bananas in the plastic bags, so 3 of those bags is like 15-18 bananas.

Dont get me started on those utter clowns. I went there all meat had been taken. I usually get a 6 pack of buxton water 1.5l water. They only had 6 single bottles. So i put them in my trolley along with a case of smaller bottles for missus as she doesnst drink much.

Then the dick from Tesco comes over you cant buy that we limit you to only 3 bottles per customer.  So either u get those 6 bottles and put the smaller ones back or u take 3 of the larger ones and put 3 large ones back and you can have the small pack. But then i asked if there was a 6 pack case of 1.5l could i have taken them? She aays yeah. So what the bloody difference you utter clown! I said any restrictions on meat? "Na" so your having a go at me for having three bottles while idiots are taking about ten packs of meat . You stupid fools.

Geniuses  👏👏

6 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

But now there might be financial packages in place to protect them I'd feel much happier about not paying for my non-service!

One measure - according to relevant Gov page:

To support nurseries at this time, the Chancellor has also decided that they will also now be eligible for a business rates holiday for one year. That means non-local authority providers of childcare will pay no business rates in 2020-21, from 1 April.

Also other info on there, too, including stuff about support for children eligible for free school meals (as commented upon by others in the thread):

To support children eligible for free school meals, schools will be able to purchase meals or vouchers for supermarkets or local shops.

The government has also confirmed that the total value of vouchers offered to each eligible child per week will exceed the rate it pays to schools for free school meals, recognising that families will not be buying food in bulk and may therefore incur higher costs. The final amounts will be confirmed shortly.

Effective immediately, schools will be able to order vouchers directly from supermarkets or shops in their communities to be emailed or printed and posted to families, and they will have their costs covered by the Department for Education. Guidance for schools will be published shortly.

And, in the looking after key workers' children and vulnerable children, this stood out:

Where possible, we would encourage settings to also look after key workers’ children and vulnerable children throughout the Easter holidays.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

I’ve seen stuff being passed around Whatsapp and on Twitter about how someone has “heard from a good source” about the exact day that London will go into lockdown including plans for deployment of the military/police. 

People are so desperate for likes and internet kudos (attention) that they’re even pretending to be ITK with COVID-19 plans. FFS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Got friends stuck over in florida, a couple in their 50's, been told no flights for 8 weeks, the wife is panicking because of family and commitments over here, they saying they gonna drive from airport to airport to see what they can do. Any advice I can give them would be greatly appreciated,  thank you.

Out of their own pocket have the considered going via Toronto etc?

• Thanks 1

Â