Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Out of their own pocket have the considered going via Toronto etc?

They closed the US-Canada land border yesterday I think, not sure about air travel. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Got friends stuck over in florida, a couple in their 50's, been told no flights for 8 weeks, the wife is panicking because of family and commitments over here, they saying they gonna drive from airport to airport to see what they can do. Any advice I can give them would be greatly appreciated,  thank you.

Gov guidance:

If you wish to leave the country you are in, contact your airline or travel company and your insurance provider as soon as you are able, and keep up to date with the latest developments. International travel may become more difficult. We only organise assisted departure in exceptional circumstances.

If they're exceptional circumstances, they should contact the Consulate General in Miami:

Urgent assistance

If you’re abroad, read our dedicated coronavirus travel advice for all our latest guidance on travel during the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you’re in Florida, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +1 305 400 6400. If you’re in the UK and worried about a British national in the USA, call 020 7008 1500.

I'm not sure what they'll be able to do or whether they won't be swamped with contacts but it's worth them considering if the situation warrants it.

Edit: The coronavirus travel advice in the second quote links to the page quoted in the first quote.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

One measure - according to relevant Gov page:

Also other info on there, too, including stuff about support for children eligible for free school meals (as commented upon by others in the thread):

And, in the looking after key workers' children and vulnerable children, this stood out:

Keep up the good work mate your posts are informative 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I’ve seen stuff being passed around Whatsapp and on Twitter about how someone has “heard from a good source” about the exact day that London will go into lockdown including plans for deployment of the military/police. 

People are so desperate for likes and internet kudos (attention) that they’re even pretending to be ITK with COVID-19 plans. FFS. 

Loads of the Itk around... thought the transfer window had suddenly slammed open!

My neighbour being one of these... see my post in things that shouldnt p**s you off thread..

She actually knocked on the door about an hour after Boris announced it to say I've been told that schools are definitely closing on Friday.. I kid you not... i just said yeah it's all over the news didn't you see?

I bet quarantining London is surprisingly easy

- large part don't have cars, so switching off the trains will contain them

- All the major roads lead onto the M25 so just need to block those off 

6 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I bet quarantining London is surprisingly easy

- large part don't have cars, so switching off the trains will contain them

- All the major roads lead onto the M25 so just need to block those off 

Tell them a tube is running 10 minutes late. This is major trauma to yer average Londoner. 

Returning back to Australia from Japan tomorrow, and while life has gone on almost as normal over here, I am expecting to return to a shitshow. Both me and my girlfriend are fine. We are importing 2 dozen rolls of bog paper, as we know we don't have much at home to endure the two weeks of self isolation. No work for 2 weeks, but I will keep busy from all the "homework" my bosses have given me. That, and fortnite.

For all those effected by this in any way (everyone), keep your families safe, and I wish you the best.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jim said:

I’m undecided but to call not paying a dick move is very harsh imo. These are uncertain times and you don’t know what is around the corner, so any money saved now could be putting food on the table a few months down the line. 

I get it’s harsh on the nursery and the workers and it’s not their fault, but it isn’t mine either.  Paying out 50/60% of my monthly salary for a service I’m not getting, whilst busting a gut to keep myself in a job and look after the kids at the same time is a bitter pill to swallow. I’d like to think the government will be supporting these companies. Whether they will or not is another story. 

It’s definitely a dick move - but the second paragraph here (in terms of governmental support) is very true. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Report from CDC in NY Times today that 20% of hospitalisations and 12% of ICU cases are 20-44 years old. 

I think these kind of figures need to be released officially. I know a lot of younger people who are really blase about all this as they think there is no chance it will affect them other than mild symptoms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I think these kind of figures need to be released officially. I know a lot of younger people who are really blase about all this as they think there is no chance it will affect them other than mild symptoms.

The knuckleheads need to understand that they still are extremely capable of spreading it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It’s definitely a dick move - but the second paragraph here (in terms of governmental support) is very true. 

I think it's harsh to call it a dick move. Am I a dick for getting my flights from Jet 2 refunded? 

Stopped at Asda Oldbury on way home from work at 5:50 this morning. 15 minute queue to get in the store. Got a few things that were unavailable yesterday but still no pasta and rice, whilst the single ‘cage’ of meat and poultry was being taken before the hard working Asda woman could put it on the shelves. Many items limited to between 1 and 3 per customer (correctly so in my opinion). 15 minute wait at the checkout - felt weird at 6:50 in the morning.

Good news: shoppers were generally patient and calm.

Not good news: ‘social distancing’ was non-existent.

On a good note (I think), during my regular nightly M5 & M6 commute from Worcestershire to Greater Manchester, I noted that whilst the number of cars looked about 50% fewer, the number of lorries appeared about 25% greater. Hopefully this is a good sign that the distribution supply chain has stepped up to help meet the ridiculous demand of this current stockpiling phase. Hopefully the stockpiling will ease once people’s fridges, freezers and cupboards are full.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's harsh to call it a dick move. Am I a dick for getting my flights from Jet 2 refunded? 

Your flights aren’t a necessity that you’d be putting at risk in the long-term for short-term gain.

To me, if you’re getting a normal wage, you should be living as normally as you can. Everyday life doesn’t require a flight (for most people). You wouldn’t factor flights into a monthly budget. If flights no longer exist, it has no impact on your day-to-day etc  

16 hours ago, sne said:

So what's the gist of this Vulcan protection act?

Something along the lines of "Live long and prosper"?

Trump invokes Defense Production Act to expand production of hospital masks and more

By Maegan Vazquez, CNN

Updated 2200 GMT (0600 HKT) March 18, 2020

CNN)President Donald Trump said during Wednesday's White House press briefing that he will be invoking the Defense Production Act to help make up for potential medical supply shortages and deploy two hospital ships as the US battles the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump said that he sees the country on wartime footing and himself as a wartime president amid the coronavirus crisis.
"I view it -- in a sense as a wartime president," Trump said after announcing he was invoking the Defense Production Act, which was established in 1950 in response to production needs during the Korean War. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kingman said:

Trump invokes Defense Production Act to expand production of hospital masks and more

By Maegan Vazquez, CNN

Updated 2200 GMT (0600 HKT) March 18, 2020

CNN)President Donald Trump said during Wednesday's White House press briefing that he will be invoking the Defense Production Act to help make up for potential medical supply shortages and deploy two hospital ships as the US battles the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump said that he sees the country on wartime footing and himself as a wartime president amid the coronavirus crisis.
"I view it -- in a sense as a wartime president," Trump said after announcing he was invoking the Defense Production Act, which was established in 1950 in response to production needs during the Korean War. 

Gotta wonder where this leaves his "Space Force? 

I'm guessing up in the air...

Bildresultat för space force logo

Â