Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Tin foil hat on: Anyone think that China are holding back from reporting new cases for now but will report a huge lump of them before long that they will blame on Europe and other countries not acting in time so the party can come out of it blameless? 

I would struggle to believe a single word china says. Was it yesterday they said they only had 1 new case? Hmmm. 

• Like 4

We ventured out as we didn't have any fresh supplies apart from potatoes, carrots and beetroot. Shop was empty and tonnes of stuff. We bought 4/5 packs of meat and will freeze most of it and the shelves were full of loo roll after last week's emptiness :D 

I think Poland took the right measures at the right time.

One solution to the economic impact could be a reclamation and redistribution of wealth.

If the global economy continues trending down and we’re all placed on a type of house arrest then it’s pointless sitting on large sums of personal wealth - you’d have nothing and nowhere to spend it on. 

You could take wealth off anyone with say, more than £5M and replace with low yield government bonds, then redistribute to people through grants, or loans, preferably grants.

It would also bridge the rich-to-poor gap and could positively benefit society as a whole in the long run.

Obviously never gonna happen but could be an option.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

That doesn't seem to tally with the news on Sky 5 mins ago  ,   (Number of deaths in Italy rises by 475 in a single day to 2,978 )

Yeah just seen that, I guess the mail reported it this AM before the latest Italian figures were released this PM. 

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It is a nice theory but I think we'd have caught onto the tens of thousands of people over a few weeks rocking up to hospital struggling to breath and dying.

Are you telling me it wasn't Doogie Howser, M.D, that I was talking to? :( 

Just now, Xela said:

Are you telling me it wasn't Doogie Howser, M.D, that I was talking to? :( 

The UK medical model predicts over 500,000 deaths if no action is taken. It would have been more than just a bad flu year. 

45 minutes ago, MCU said:

Go on and tell me how every other country in this global pandemic is doing it so well and so great then. 

Sorry?

Did you read my post before you replied to it? :)

What have other countries got to do with how terribly Johnson bumbled through answering that question?

Edited by snowychap

The rich are clearly getting tested very easily (e.g. Idris Elba, Tom Hanks and his wife, NBA stars), but I'm not sure what treatment they would get. Have any rich, powerful or famous people become very ill with this yet? 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/disease-dodging-worried-wealthy-jet-off-to-disaster-bunkers

They can hide, but I don't know if they can hide hospitals. If they can't hide a hospital in their mansion or disaster bunker, can't it be requisitioned for public use?

I think the plan is to get somewhere like this (watch the 3 minute video):

https://terravivos.com/secure/vivoseuropaone.htm

But I'm not sure it would be much good to get there and then find yourself infected.

55 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

One solution to the economic impact could be a reclamation and redistribution of wealth.

If the global economy continues trending down and we’re all placed on a type of house arrest then it’s pointless sitting on large sums of personal wealth - you’d have nothing and nowhere to spend it on. 

You could take wealth off anyone with say, more than £5M and replace with low yield government bonds, then redistribute to people through grants, or loans, preferably grants.

It would also bridge the rich-to-poor gap and could positively benefit society as a whole in the long run.

Obviously never gonna happen but could be an option.

How on Earth can you just steal money from rich people because you don’t want them to have it any more?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I think the plan is to get somewhere like this (watch the 3 minute video):

https://terravivos.com/secure/vivoseuropaone.htm

But I'm not sure it would be much good to get there and then find yourself infected.

Looks decent, and a snip at just €2m for a very lavish apartment 😳

Â