Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

If cities get locked down into the summer, people are going to start going mad. Be glad you don't live in the USA where so many people have guns

We don't have Summers.  

We call Westeros tropical.

So I think I’ve worked out the cause of this stuff.... 

The house of mouse ...Their tv product launches in Europe next week. What better way to boost sales of their service by having everyone unable to leave the house. :D

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Ah clever. Leak plans for lockdown so everyone with the mind to can get out ahead of time and spread virus further.

Being reported all over Wales that all the lights are on in all the second homes and holiday homes with the Chelsea Tractors sweeping up all the stock in all the village shops.

But then, if I had the resources, that’s probably what I would do. Family first.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Ah clever. Leak plans for lockdown so everyone with the mind to can get out ahead of time and spread virus further.

Same happened in France. The day before the lock down plans were announced there were trains packed Japanese rush hour style heading out of Paris. It's unknown how much damage that will have done over there, but I guess we'll find out in the next 14 days. 

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

That's a complicated call. If you're still guaranteed your wage and it's a private nursery then I'd recommend carrying on paying regardless of whether you're using the service at the moment. Those independent child care facilities will collapse/ carers won't get paid if you all pull your funds.

However, if it's school funded I certainly wouldn't worry about paying and if you are financially struggling/nervous then you have to look after your family first.

We currently pay the nursery the best part of a grand per month for our 2 year olds place. He was there today, and is there tomorrow. But from Monday they are then closed, in line with schools, for an undefined period.

We are both working from home currently, and not financially struggling, but it's a huge amount of money for a service we're not going to be receiving.

15 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

So I think I’ve worked out the cause of this stuff.... 

The house of mouse ...Their tv product launches in Europe next week. What better way to boost sales of their service by having everyone unable to leave the house. :D

The clues are there 

Rupunzel was quarantined  in a tower ,’Elsa quarantined in the castle with her sister and if memory serves so was the Beast  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, turvontour said:

We currently pay the nursery the best part of a grand per month for our 2 year olds place. He was there today, and is there tomorrow. But from Monday they are then closed, in line with schools, for an undefined period.

We are both working from home currently, and not financially struggling, but it's a huge amount of money for a service we're not going to be receiving.

Well if they're closed then clearly you don't! I just meant personally I'd try to support something if I'd already budgeted for it. You're going to be in a relatively rare position where your wages are guaranteed and your outgoings are going to plummet. That's lucky for want of a better word. You're going to be much better off at the end of this. Those nursery workers might lose their jobs/business. That's all, I'm not trying to be pious about it.

Edit: as I understand it, now they are closed by government effectively they might be covered by whatever financial support they get.

Edited by jackbauer24

9 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Well if they're closed then clearly you don't! I just meant personally I'd try to support something if I'd already budgeted for it. You're going to be in a relatively rare position where your wages are guaranteed and your outgoings are going to plummet. That's lucky for want of a better word. You're going to be much better off at the end of this. Those nursery workers might lose their jobs/business. That's all, I'm not trying to be pious about it.

Edit: as I understand it, now they are closed by government effectively they might be covered by whatever financial support they get.

Lady I used to work with had to pay the same amount to the nursery every month even if there were less sessions because of bank holidays, school holidays etc. I think what the poster was saying he’s expected to cough up the fees even though they are closed. 

• Like 1

Italian doctors hope for a sign the coronavirus lockdown is working, because there's no plan B

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/europe/italy-coronavirus-lockdown-intl/index.html 

And our health service has less capacity, this is not looking good, 

It's terrible, like an aeroplane crash a day hardly reported over here so not many bat an eyelid because it's not really close to home yet.

Edited by Kingman
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

We are in the same boat nursery is closing and we pay them over £1500 a month. April bill is due next week. They are privately owned as part of a small group. 
I  can afford  pay it but I’m loathe to as we’ll both be working from home full time whilst trying to entertain/educate two kids under 5 for god knows how long.

3 minutes ago, jim said:

We are in the same boat nursery is closing and we pay them over £1500 a month. April bill is due next week. They are privately owned as part of a small group. 
I  can afford  pay it but I’m loathe to as we’ll both be working from home full time whilst trying to entertain/educate two kids under 5 for god knows how long.

I'm in the same boat, but I'll still be collecting a full wage so I'll still be paying nursery.

I think it's an absolute dick move to do otherwise, tbh.

19 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Italian doctors hope for a sign the coronavirus lockdown is working, because there's no plan B

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/europe/italy-coronavirus-lockdown-intl/index.html 

And our health service has less capacity, this is not looking good, 

It's terrible, like an aeroplane crash a day hardly reported over here so not many bat an eyelid because it's not really close to home yet.

We have been able to see what is happening over there for a while now and it seems obvious that every day you can stem the spread makes a big difference. We had a real chance over here to stay ahead of the game as we could see what was happening elsewhere and I am not sure we have used that time as well as we could. I hope I am wrong as like you say our health service simply won't cope.

I am sure if Italy could have had their time again they would have acted and shut down things sooner.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

We have the Bank of England, and the government have already pledged unlimited funds, so we don’t need to worry about the conundrum of how to take people’s money of them. 

But the government doesn’t have infinite amounts of money, in fact far from it, the wealth in this world isn’t owned by governments it’s owned by a small amount of super rich individuals. 

It wasn’t so long ago that the previous Tory PM spoke about not having a magic money tree so I wonder where this current Tory PM appears to have found one from.

Â