Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, Kingman said:
Trump said that he sees the country on wartime footing and himself as a wartime president amid the coronavirus crisis.
"I view it -- in a sense as a wartime president," Trump said

Let's keep our fingers crossed that he doesn't get 'bone spurs' to take him out of action again eh.

• Haha 1

Wondering why people are continually surprised by the situation in supermarkets when it’s all over the news and social media.

Try going somewhere more obscure, a local cooperative or Waitrose, M&S food even, somewhere unlikely to have been ransacked by the masses.

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Having put my mom into isolation a few days ago I had to go and do her big shop this morning with my wife doing our shopping. We went down to asda before work at 6:20am. I couldn't even get a trolley and had to wait for someone to come out and get theirs. I hadn't realised but this is a 24 hour asda that had closed at 10pm to refill shelves and reopened at 6am but by the time I got in there plenty of shelves were empty. No milk and no toilet roll at all. Rammed in there and social distancing non existent. Just dropped the shopping to my mom and she is questioning why I had to get her different peas to what she had put on her list. It is going to be a long few weeks/months.

I think many, many people will need to re-evaluate their levels of “that’s not fair”.

7 minutes ago, brommy said:

I think many, many people will need to re-evaluate their levels of “that’s not fair”.

My mom simply hasn't grasped what is going on really, which is understandable as it is obviously really surreal for a lot of us, but she is certainly going to have to adjust her expectations. Either that or I'll have to re-evaluate having told her to isolate and let her out before she cracks me up 😀

Edited by markavfc40
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wondering why people are continually surprised by the situation in supermarkets when it’s all over the news and social media.

Try going somewhere more obscure, a local cooperative or Waitrose, M&S food even, somewhere unlikely to have been ransacked by the masses.

I agree mate and that is what we are doing with much of our shopping and happy to buy in smaller shops and eat pretty much anything which gives a lot more choice. My mom is that fussy though it was easier to just have her write a list, get her to do it in order of how she would walk around the shop and then go to her usual shopping place. I may have to change that going forward though.

4 hours ago, Awol said:

Glad to hear you’re home. So the 700-odd new cases yesterday were admitted to hospital 48 hrs ago (how long the test result takes to come back) in a worse state than you - who still needed paramedics & a blue-light call out... 

Out of interest how old are you mate, normally healthy? 

Either worse or older I would think. I'm 45 so I guess at the lower end of the likely to die chart. Usually fine as far as I know other than being a bit tubby although there are heart issues on my dads side which I was actually supposed to be getting screened for this month. Had bad pneumonia as a kid that nearly finished me off and ended up with severe asthma after this but that seemed to clear in late teens & haven't used an inhaler or anything for years. This feels like the asthma I guess, just can't get a decent breath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

My local Spar are on average about 25% more expensive, but they've had no issues - I for one am happy to pay the extra and have less choice just to avoid the absolute dick heads at Tesco. 

7 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Well that was an interesting evening. Genuinely not pissing about here. Felt fine until Tuesday despite wife showing symptoms over the weekend but mild dry throat & occasional cough appeared before relatively light chest pains & difficulty breathing kicked in. Actually seemed to improve a little by the time i woke up but cough & breathing worsened during the day to the point where i am struggling to take any sort of meaningful deep breath at all. Doesn't feel like i am about to collapse or anything but breathing isn't fun and having to stand up every few minutes to try and get some sort of deeper gulp of air.Standing in the garden definitely seems to aid this at least somewhat. Assessed & told it looks like i definitely have it but not tested or hospitalised. Repeatedly asked about any blood coming from either end (there isn't) & still able to hold a conversation without having to stop to try and breathe every few words and this seems to be the cut-off point at the moment for whether you are going to end up in hospital or not. Treatment/advice is drink water, take paracetamol, wash hands, do not leave the house for 14 days, avoid other people. If breathing difficulties worsen over the next 3 or 4 days and/or any signs of blood call 111 (999 in extremes). Unless you are pretty much about to drop dead (which hopefully i am not) it seems you are not getting tested or going anywhere near a hospital. Now off to bed & will hopefully wake up in the morning 😕 Cheers to those who showed concern & stay safe out there. This isn't much fun.

It is hard to know what to say reading this. You'd think with those symptoms you'd usually be taken to hospital.  I hope you start to improve from here mate and this is as bad as it gets.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Maybe shutting tomorrow.

Bakerloo line 

• Lambeth North
  • Regents Park
  • Warwick Avenue
  • Kilburn Park
  • Charing Cross  

Central line 

• Holland Park
  • Queensway
  • Lancaster Gate
  • Chancery Lane
  • Redbridge

Circle line 

• Bayswater
  • Great Portland Street
  • Barbican

District line 

• Bow Road
  • Stepney Green
  • Mansion House
  • Temple
  • St James's Park
  • Gloucester Road

Jubilee line 

• Swiss Cottage
  • St John's Wood
  • Bermondsey
  • Southwark

Northern line 

• Tuffnell Park
  • Chalk Farm
  • Mornington Crescent
  • Goodge Street
  • Borough
  • Clapham South
  • Tooting Bec
  • South Wimbledon
  • Hampstead  

Piccadilly line 

• Caledonian Road
  • Arsenal
  • Covent Garden
  • Hyde Park Corner
  • Bounds Green
  • Manor House

Victoria line 

• Pimlico
  • Blackhorse Road 

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

My local Spar are on average about 25% more expensive, but they've had no issues - I for one am happy to pay the extra and have less choice just to avoid the absolute dick heads at Tesco. 

Yeah, Co-op/Waitrose/M&S - they're not cheap, but then with all due respect, that's why they've not been ransacked by the masses (yet).

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Having put my mom into isolation a few days ago I had to go and do her big shop this morning with my wife doing our shopping. We went down to asda before work at 6:20am. I couldn't even get a trolley and had to wait for someone to come out and get theirs. I hadn't realised but this is a 24 hour asda that had closed at 10pm to refill shelves and reopened at 6am but by the time I got in there plenty of shelves were empty. No milk and no toilet roll at all. Rammed in there and social distancing non existent. Just dropped the shopping to my mom and she is questioning why I had to get her different peas to what she had put on her list. It is going to be a long few weeks/months.

See although I understand why they are doing it, for the average person who works days then we either going to be queueing up at 6am in the morning and trying to get to work on time, or we are going to be going on the evening when everything is pretty much gone. Cant they open at say 4am and let people have a chance to get up and actually be able to get things they need. Swings and roundabouts obviously but for the average working man or woman this probably makes it that much harder. I've been using local shops too and am still struggling to get anything the kids will eat without a major meltdown

• Like 1

Onto day 3 of this headache/migraine which I just can't shift. Don't think it's related to Corona, but the timing is weird as I never get headaches/migraines generally, certainly not that last for days. A little bit of coughing too but not much. 

Wish there was a simple test that could be done. 

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Onto day 3 of this headache/migraine which I just can't shift. Don't think it's related to Corona, but the timing is weird as I never get headaches/migraines generally, certainly not that last for days. A little bit of coughing too but not much. 

Wish there was a simple test that could be done. 

Like you say this would all be so much easier if you could get tested. We all do have to be careful though when we get any symptoms not to let our minds go into overdrive, instantly think we have it and remember that the vast majority of us who do get it will have mild symptoms. Take care mate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

8424B63E-2C13-427F-9183-DEAC5428F89D.jpeg

• Haha 1

Coronavirus: NHS staff 'at risk' over lack of protective gear

NHS staff say they are being put at risk during the coronavirus outbreak because of a lack of protective gear.

One doctor told the BBC that frontline healthcare workers felt like "cannon fodder" as they do not have access to equipment such as face masks.

Health workers also expressed concerns that not enough of them were being tested for the virus.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the UK had "stockpiles" of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

Dr Samantha Batt-Rawden, from lobbying group the Doctors' Association, said she had heard from doctors who had not got access to PPE - or it had expired or run out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-5195027

If they put a system in place, as they have in other countries, that meant the government guaranteed anyone unable to work would get say 80% of their average earnings over the last 2 years there might be a few self employed people sweating that they hadn't declared exactly how much they had been earning. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Haha 2

Â