Pepe Reina

Jareth

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I agree. It's baffling. Unnecessary. Bit dickish from Villa too calling back Sarkic who was doing really well out on loan. Kalinic was on the bench Wednesday and most likely will be on Sunday also with Nyland still starting i think. 

Sarkic will probably go right back now, unless Kalinic is sold.

Edit: back to Scotland, not playing right back.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I agree. It's baffling. Unnecessary. Bit dickish from Villa too calling back Sarkic who was doing really well out on loan. Kalinic was on the bench Wednesday and most likely will be on Sunday also with Nyland still starting i think. 

I get your point but ultimately Sarkic is a villa player and his first duty is to villa. If management think they might need him then that’s that. I’m sure if he’s not ultimately required he’d be sent back out but he’s now standing in at 3rd choice right? I don’t think Kalinic even comes into the discussion. Every squad needs 3 keepers. I’m sure he’s disappointed but equally, if he’s ultimately not needed, he will be sent back out if that’ll help his development.

As for Nyland, my heart says I feel bad for him but my head says Reina will be an obvious improvement to a keeper who, although is playing well, has been so shaky in the past that if we can secure the services of an excellent keeper whilst we are trying to stay up then why wouldn’t we? We’d play Heaton if he were fit irrespective of Nyland’s form so it makes sense to being in a keeper of a similar quality.

I think this one makes sense. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, chappy said:

Decent cover but hope he doesn’t take Nyland’s place straight away, would send out completely the wrong message

Why? Reina has been there and done it, he’s played in the Champions League and World Cups. He’s played at the top of the game, he’s experienced, I expect him to come straight in and be our number 1 from the off

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Maybe this one is influenced by Purslow? I assume they were at Liverpool for a period together. 

I don’t think I’ve seen him play in years so have no idea what to expect from him. He will be good to have about the place at least! 

My Liverpool supporting mate thinks he's quality and they struggled to replace him for years

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I'm really impressed with how much Nyland has improved, but Reina is a level above. Why are so many of us caught in two minds about this!? Bench Nyland and start Reina.

What worries about Nyland is how he would cope in late march in a relegation battle six pointer - when most of our nerves will be jangling !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Tom Heaton is out for the rest of the season.

Sarkic can now go back out on loan. Back to Livingstone if we all fancy it.

Nyland has had a taste of the big time, he has done well and will still play tomorrow and in the cup semi final second leg, I imagine. Minimum. He now gets to understudy a legend of the game for 4 and a bit months to continue his development, all being well. 

Pepe Reina gets to play football, we hopefully get all of the aforementioned upside. If he's shot, we have a capable deputy. Or the other way around. Milan get his wages off the books.

Win/win for all concerned. 

Nyland also gets the chance to develop further and prove that he could possibly be long term number one.

I agree with you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I don’t think I’ve seen him play in years so have no idea what to expect from him. 

I don’t think anyone has ... and that’s the big concern 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Tom Heaton is out for the rest of the season.

Sarkic can now go back out on loan. Back to Livingstone if we all fancy it.

Nyland has had a taste of the big time, he has done well and will still play tomorrow and in the cup semi final second leg, I imagine. Minimum. He now gets to understudy a legend of the game for 4 and a bit months to continue his development, all being well. 

Pepe Reina gets to play football, we hopefully get all of the aforementioned upside. If he's shot, we have a capable deputy. Or the other way around. Milan get his wages off the books.

Win/win for all concerned. 

Exactly. Nice summary of the situation 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I don't want to hear anybody complaining about us not having enough goalkeeprs in the squad now.

I hate the fact we haven’t got enough goalkeepers in the squad now, typical crap Villa.

• Haha 1

Â