Pepe Reina

Jareth

44 minutes ago, sne said:

How many world champions have we had playing for us?

Siegrist and Veretout won at underage level. Siegrist was even a Villa player :D

I would also include the Peace Cup as the worldwide version of the Champions League ;)

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Hope he's sensible with the game at Anfield.

If we're going down and on the end of a predictable spanking, don't want him going all Houllier.

Speaks well on the website, seems a determined chap.

Is he a keeper who likes to catch or punch? Highlight videos seem to suggest he likes punching more. That worries me, particularly with the speed/awareness/ability of our defensive players or when attempting to defend as a team. The second ball is always won by the opposition.

Heaton served us well because he held the ball. We need a calming keeper, not a spectacular shot stopper if ball is coming back in withing seconds...

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

Is he a keeper who likes to catch or punch? Highlight videos seem to suggest he likes punching more. That worries me, particularly with the speed/awareness/ability of our defensive players or when attempting to defend as a team. The second ball is always won by the opposition.

Heaton served us well because he held the ball. We need a calming keeper, not a spectacular shot stopper if ball is coming back in withing seconds...

We were never going to get a keeper as good as Heaton. Losing him is disastrous.

If he stops the ball it's a step up from Nyland.

4 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

Just found out he supports Vox (Spanish far right). He can f**k right off as far as I'm concerned.

This is a bit unfair.

Pepe Reina has been very vocal about his opposition to Catalonian independence, which is hardly a radical position (even if you disagree with it). He has Tweeted his support of Vox's position on that issue, but also the more mainstream right-wing People's Party and other Spanish nationalist parties.

I don't think he has explicitly said he voted Vox (although he has strongly implied it), and I don't think he has publicly supported their views on race, and so on.

So yes, he's probably a bit of a Spanish jamón, but if you think these kinds of views are unacceptable for a footballer, we'd struggle to put a squad together.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

This is a bit unfair.

Pepe Reina has been very vocal about his opposition to Catalonian independence, which is hardly a radical position (even if you disagree with it). He has Tweeted his support of Vox's position on that issue, but also the more mainstream right-wing People's Party and other Spanish nationalist parties.

I don't think he has explicitly said he voted Vox (although he has strongly implied it), and I don't think he has publicly supported their views on race, and so on.

So yes, he's probably a bit of a Spanish jamón, but if you think these kinds of views are unacceptable for a footballer, we'd struggle to put a squad together.

He's certainly entitled to his view on Catalan independence as is anyone but expressing it via Vox's take on it is not alright. They are a neo-franquista party that very much represent the idea that there still exists two Spains. A progressive one and sadly one that is still anchored to the ideology of Franco. I wonder how we'd feel if we'd signed someone who was giving likes to EDL's Twitter feed? 

I'd like to think the rest of our squad aren't tacit supporters of far-right parties, and if  they are they keep it to themselves. Unfortunately, such is the current political climate throughout Europe and beyond such parties have become normalized as they've swept into parliament on a wave of anti-immigration populism and people feel emboldened to express their support for them publicly. 

Anyway, we've got a drunk and a fascist now. Who's next? It's all starting to feel a bit 2016.

12 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

He's certainly entitled to his view on Catalan independence as is anyone but expressing it via Vox's take on it is not alright. They are a neo-franquista party that very much represent the idea that there still exists two Spains. A progressive one and sadly one that is still anchored to the ideology of Franco. I wonder how we'd feel if we'd signed someone who was giving likes to EDL's Twitter feed? 

I'd like to think the rest of our squad aren't tacit supporters of far-right parties, and if  they are they keep it to themselves. Unfortunately, such is the current political climate throughout Europe and beyond such parties have become normalized as they've swept into parliament on a wave of anti-immigration populism and people feel emboldened to express their support for them publicly. 

Anyway, we've got a drunk and a fascist now. Who's next? It's all starting to feel a bit 2016.

Vox got 15% of the vote at the last Spanish election. So more UKIP than EDL, more populist than fascist. I don't agree with their politics, but I can't believe we're genuinely trying to cancel Pepe Reina because he's a bit Bréxito. We literally have John Terry as assistant manager. Newsflash: some footballers are a bit unreconstructed.

Displaying so much moral superiority and then calling someone who may have a genuine alcohol addiction a "drunk" is also a bit rich.

• Like 1

Â