Pepe Reina

Jareth

I didn't know it meant we couldn't loan any strikers?!

That makes it even more of an odd move this early in the window. Our need for a striker outweighs our need for a keeper.

He's experienced but hasn't played regular football for over 18 months. Let's hope he doesn't cock up in any early apps because Nyland's confidence will be shot if he's been dropped for him.

So we're buying a forward then?...right?

8 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

As far as I can see these are the rules:

From here: https://www.premierleague.com/news/464747
- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
- The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
- Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
- A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club.

So that reads as you can have four in total but only two at one time, so I guess that means you can have two in the first half of the season, they get recalled or club sends them back in Jan and then two more loans come in for the remainder of the season.

I already thought this signing was odd, but now I'm completely perplexed 

• Thanks 1

Dont watch Italian football, assume he has still got the ability?

However well Nyland has done in the last couple of games, 99% of his time in goal for us has been an utter clown show, so getting in an experienced head for a relegation scrap is a good idea

7 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Utterly pointless signing. Good player just don't see why.

I agree. It's baffling. Unnecessary. Bit dickish from Villa too calling back Sarkic who was doing really well out on loan. Kalinic was on the bench Wednesday and most likely will be on Sunday also with Nyland still starting i think. 

2 minutes ago, andym said:

Dont watch Italian football, assume he has still got the ability?

However well Nyland has done in the last couple of games, 99% of his time in goal for us has been an utter clown show, so getting in an experienced head for a relegation scrap is a good idea

Has played as much football as Drinkwater in last 2 years.

He is basically semi retired as Milan No. 2.

Obviously Dean doesn't trust any of our keepers fully but there is no evidence available to support the idea that Reina is anywhere near the level required. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve the greatest respect for anyone not wanting him, if they’ve seen him play half a dozen or more times recently and they’ve been unimpressed. ( I’ve not seen him recently).

But I’m completely baffled by anybody thinking this was a “ waste” of a loan, or a relatively unimportant signing !!

Most important position on the pitch and all we have is Nyland ?? Regardless of him looking much improved so far, to continue with just him - forget Sarkic - would’ve been utter madness. 

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Nyland has a couple of decent games and we don't need another goalkeeper?

We probably do yes. Nyland clearly not up to it or this wouldn't be happening.

I think it's an interesting decision to use up our loan spot on a keeper this early in the window.

If a good striker was to become available on loan, we're out of the game now.

We must be close to a striker or two.

From what I remember from his Liverpool days, he’s a bit eccentric, a character if you will. Not only that but he’s a fantastic, experienced goalkeeper who has been there and done it. How anyone can turn their noses up at this signing, I’ll never know, can he play on Sunday?

With this signing the club really couldn't win.

If we stuck with Nyland and he returned to last-seasons form then 90%+ of this forum, facebook and twitter would be awash with comments like, "Should have signed a ****' keeper in January." 

We have now signed a keeper in January and now the dialogue is, "We should have stuck with Nyland, this is a waste."

The club couldn't win here so personally whether you like it or not, just suck it up and move on. There are plenty of other things to complain about.  

• Like 1

Just now, rbcuk said:

Don’t get this signing, seen him a cpl of times for Milan this season, let in a shocker against Genoa earlier on this season 

I would hope every minute he's played in the last 18 months as been watched back to see if he's still up to it. Wouldn't take long.

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

From what I remember from his Liverpool days, he’s a bit eccentric, a character if you will. Not only that but he’s a fantastic, experienced goalkeeper who has been there and done it. How anyone can turn their noses up at this signing, I’ll never know, can he play on Sunday?

No, hasn’t had medical yet.

• Thanks 1

Â