Pepe Reina

Jareth

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If Nyland does keep playing well and retains the shirt until the end of the season it’s possible we might never actually see Reina on the pitch.

I'd say Reina is coming in for the next game, regardless of how nyland plays tomorrow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Can he make the same kind of impact that Simon Dawkins though!? Only time will tell.

In all seriousness, I’m so pleased with that loan. The new Freidel!?

Simon Dawkins 😂 blast from the past.

• Haha 1

I think it's basically done bar the formalities on Monday. I think even if he doesn't start straight away or however he will be used. A great influence in the dressing room and an experienced head who's won it all. Knows the league the language. Should settle in quickly and I think he'll turn out to be a Heaton type signing. He may be worth some important points come the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Potentially a masterstroke and all done so quickly, presuming we weren't looking at him before Heaton's injury. 

Pleased with this if it comes off. 

Done quickly? Surely the deal should have been done before Heaton’s stretcher had got off the pitch? 

• Haha 4

Absolutely the perfect replacement for Heaton. When him and Wes got injured it was Heaton's injury that had me most worried for the season ahead. Now, with Reina and a couple of strikers we're on par if not improved. 

12 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Can he make the same kind of impact that Simon Dawkins though!? Only time will tell.

In all seriousness, I’m so pleased with that loan. The new Freidel!?

Interesting comparison with Brad. They are of a similar age at the time of signing but they are very different keepers. Reina is a much more commanding keeper than Brad was. He is also a much better footballer/distributor who likes to play as a makeshift sweeper. Brad was very much a conventional keeper who rarely left his six yard box  when the ball was in our half. If Reina has still got his speed and agility he will be a brilliant signing. Better than Brad who I always thought was somewhat overrated by many villa fans. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Interesting comparison with Brad. They are of a similar age at the time of signing but they are very different keepers. Reina is a much more commanding keeper than Brad was. He is also a much better footballer/distributor who likes to play as a makeshift sweeper. Brad was very much a conventional keeper who rarely left his six yard box  when the ball was in our half. If Reina has still got his speed and agility he will be a brilliant signing. Better than Brad who I always thought was somewhat overrated by many villa fans. 

Friedel had been a number 1 keeper all the time whereas Reina doesn't seem to have been for a few seasons, which is the biggest concern for me.  Also Friedel went bankrupt so had the extra incentive to extend his career and compared to Reina just coming for 6 months I wonder whether he will have the same desire.  Of course it may turn out to be a masterstroke but I hope Nyland gets a fair crack at being keeper in the next few games.

The fact that he's willing to move from a cushy spot on the Milan bench to come to a relegation fight in the PL shows that he still wants to play and that he believes he has the ability still.

Or at least I hope so.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sne said:

The fact that he's willing to move from a cushy spot on the Milan bench to come to a relegation fight in the PL shows that he still wants to play and that he believes he has the ability still.

Or at least I hope so.

It's certainly a positive sign but what does this say to Nyland if Reina comes in for just 6 months and takes the number one spot? I mean, when we signed Heaton, Nyland was probably still not fully recovered from last season's injury. But, he's waited his turn and performed really well. If Reina takes that shirt it's going to destroy Nyland and the way he feels about the management. 

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

It's certainly a positive sign but what does this say to Nyland if Reina comes in for just 6 months and takes the number one spot? I mean, when we signed Heaton, Nyland was probably still not fully recovered from last season's injury. But, he's waited his turn and performed really well. If Reina takes that shirt it's going to destroy Nyland and the way he feels about the management. 

Well hopefully he buckles down and works even harder.

It's what he's paid for. And I expect the club to handle this in a correct way and explain their reasoning to Nyland.

12 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don't care what it says to Nyland. We need to stay and last season Nyland was a complete disaster. 

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Absolutely the perfect replacement for Heaton. When him and Wes got injured it was Heaton's injury that had me most worried for the season ahead. Now, with Reina and a couple of strikers we're on par if not improved. 

Well said Jareth. 

• Like 1

Â