Pepe Reina

Jareth

When he was at his peak he was better than any GK I have ever seen play for Villa. Bosnich is probably the closest to him in terms of GK ability but Reina is also a much better footballer than Bossie ever was. Reina is also a leader which we desperately need. It’s a risk as we don’t know how far past his peak he is but it’s a risk worth taking. Could turn out to be inspired.

Just now, Daweii said:

With this signing the club really couldn't win.

If we stuck with Nyland and he returned to last-seasons form then 90%+ of this forum, facebook and twitter would be awash with comments like, "Should have signed a ****' keeper in January." 

We have now signed a keeper in January and now the dialogue is, "We should have stuck with Nyland, this is a waste."

The club couldn't win here so personally whether you like it or not, just suck it up and move on. There are plenty of other things to complain about.  

No one will care if we sign two strikers next before Brighton.

Timing is strange for me, as in, before we have any forwards when we need two. I'd have thought we'd keep the loan spot free while we're on the search.

• Like 1

Just now, smg said:

Why does any team need 4 goalkeepers? Especially when they don’t have any strikers .

We have more than 4 keepers.

Heaton (injured)
Steer (injured)
Nyland (current number 1)
Kalinic (likely to be sold)
Sarkic (was on loan, was recalled January)
Reina (fresh in after a medical)

6 keepers in the team right now. We're collecting them like Pokemon. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, smg said:

Why does any team need 4 goalkeepers? Especially when they don’t have any strikers .

I guess you need 3 really.  Reina coming in will allow Kalinic to be sold hopefully.  Sarkic may have to stick around til Steer is fit again.

Looks to me like this could end up similar to Terry , a short stint playing for the club and then moving into the coaching staff

Think this speaks for itself

1X WORLD CUP WINNER
World Cup winner
2010 Spain Spain

2X EUROPEAN CHAMPION
European champion
2012 Spain Spain
2008 Spain Spain

1X ENGLISH FA CUP WINNER

1X ENGLISH LEAGUE CUP WINNER

1X GERMAN CHAMPION

1X ITALIAN CUP WINNER
Italian cup winner
13/14 SSC Napoli SSC Napoli

1X UEFA SUPERCUP WINNER
Uefa Supercup winner
05/06 Liverpool FC Liverpool FC

1X ENGLISH SUPER CUP WINNER
English Super Cup winner
2007 Liverpool FC

7 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Is this 100% a loan , i'm sure it was mentioned on the radio that it was a 6 month contract with a 12 month extension if we stay up ?

"Sky sources" are reporting a 6 month loan and that he'll return to Milan in the summer. 

1 hour ago, Khizzy said:

As far as I can see these are the rules:

From here: https://www.premierleague.com/news/464747
- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
- The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
- Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
- A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club.

So that reads as you can have four in total but only two at one time, so I guess that means you can have two in the first half of the season, they get recalled or club sends them back in Jan and then two more loans come in for the remainder of the season.

There’s an ‘exception’ to that rule which allows an extra transfer if it’s a goalkeeper. It needs to be agreed by a board of some sort, but this could probably be granted for us, considering our first and second choice keepers are injured.

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

There’s an ‘exception’ to that rule which allows an extra transfer if it’s a goalkeeper. It needs to be agreed by a board of some sort, but this could probably be granted for us, considering our first and second choice keepers are injured.

As I said in the other thread. The 2 loan rule is only PL to PL loans. Foreign loans are in addition.

47 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Would love to know what Kalinic has done...

Looked incredibly ropey and not someone we would want to rely upon if we got another keeper injured to keep us in the division.

3 minutes ago, chappy said:

Decent cover but hope he doesn’t take Nyland’s place straight away, would send out completely the wrong message

I agree, but I suspect he will.

I’m caught in two minds on this one. I feel really bad for Nyland but you surely can’t turn down a keeper like Reina in our situation? The guy is a winner through and through and he must have such a presence about him. 

Â